Teacher with incompatible lifestyle

  • Thread starter Thread starter FidesetRatioFan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The flip side is that he referred to one of the PE teachers (male) as the ‘hot one’ today.
Is the PE teacher aware of this comment? That is clear sexual harrassment. This guy is going to keep pushing the envelope and keep stepping over the bright line. Something is going to blow up, sooner if not later. Just be thankful that he does not take you into confidence and whisper things that only you can hear. I am sure that there will be a groundswell of opposition to him before long.
 
I would just like to point out that a Catholic response is hardly going to involve bearing false witness. If you have doubts as to whether or not your co-worker is actually failing to fulfill his role as a Catholic teacher then I would certainly think twice before saying something about it.
Agreed…back to Elizium’s post about documentation. To the original poster: you could still gather documentation of the teacher’s comments…you may not feel as if you need to take action now, but perhaps you will decide differently a year or two years from now. If that point ever comes, you will have the information needed to raise a concern.

It’s an uncomfortable position to be in, but your responsibility includes vulnerable children. There may be a time when you need to advocate for their well-being; they cannot do it themselves.

What does your faculty handbook say? In my handbooks in the past, besides stating that teachers’ behavior should be appropriate both in and out of the classroom, there were also statements that faculty/staff were expected to report information that could be of concern to those in authority…indicating that it is not possible for supervisors/managers to know every detail about a work environment, and that employees were obliged to report something that could be potentially harmful to someone served by the school/company.
 
The latest remark the OP reported could easily fit the threshold of sexual harassment in many US states. The gay teacher doesn’t seem to know, or doesn’t care, that his remarks and his narrative about his nightlife are completely inappropriate, and that he is actively homosexual, and not practicing chastity, is a real moral concern- this is a Catholic school environment. The OP is clearly disturbed or offended by the behavior of the other teacher, or he wouldn’t bring it up here. It is not the job of the OP to gather evidence. He should inform his superiors and, if they won’t listen or shrug it off, report it to the superintendent of Catholic schools or otherwise follow the protocol for reporting in his workplace.
 
It is not the job of the OP to gather evidence…
I agree in general with your viewpoint. However, depending on one’s profession and legal considerations surrounding that professions, gathering documentation can protect one against a legal backlash. In my current profession, there is a possibility that one can be sued for raising a complaint against someone that results in damage to that person’s professional reputation. If the complaint is determined to be unfounded, it would mean trouble for the person who filed the complaint.

To guard against the future possibility of a determination that a complaint is unfounded, documentation is helpful.
 
I agree in general with your viewpoint. However, depending on one’s profession and legal considerations surrounding that professions, gathering documentation can protect one against a legal backlash. In my current profession, there is a possibility that one can be sued for raising a complaint against someone that results in damage to that person’s professional reputation. If the complaint is determined to be unfounded, it would mean trouble for the person who filed the complaint.

To guard against the future possibility of a determination that a complaint is unfounded, documentation is helpful.
I agree with investigation and documentation- I just don’t see how it is the OP’s job to do it, since he cannot do it without acting as some kind of undercover agent. He is not the homosexual teacher’s supervisor, after all. Investigation and documentation is properly the job of human resources in most organizations, and in a Catholic organization, there is generally someone assigned to this task, usually in the bishop’s office. Again, I would follow the chain of command, and report it ASAP to the proper authority before the verbal admissions of gay night-clubbing and homosexual attraction to another teacher- both highly problematic in themselves-develop into a case of overt sexual harassment or worse, molestation. If anonymous reporting is an option, that would be a great first step, but either way, action is required.
 
The latest remark the OP reported could easily fit the threshold of sexual harassment in many US states. The gay teacher doesn’t seem to know, or doesn’t care, that his remarks and his narrative about his nightlife are completely inappropriate, and that he is actively homosexual, and not practicing chastity, is a real moral concern- this is a Catholic school environment. The OP is clearly disturbed or offended by the behavior of the other teacher, or he wouldn’t bring it up here. It is not the job of the OP to gather evidence. He should inform his superiors and, if they won’t listen or shrug it off, report it to the superintendent of Catholic schools or otherwise follow the protocol for reporting in his workplace.
I agree in general with your viewpoint. However, depending on one’s profession and legal considerations surrounding that professions, gathering documentation can protect one against a legal backlash. In my current profession, there is a possibility that one can be sued for raising a complaint against someone that results in damage to that person’s professional reputation. If the complaint is determined to be unfounded, it would mean trouble for the person who filed the complaint.

To guard against the future possibility of a determination that a complaint is unfounded, documentation is helpful.
You are both right. 😃 The OP indicated he is not in the US. In the US, anyone in an educational setting should report any inappropriate conduct, including these kind of comments, to someone in authority. But the same is not true of all countries. In some countries, there might be a strong culture against an employee doing anything, including reporting, against someone who is a peer, not a subordinate.
 
Investigation and documentation is properly the job of human resources in most organizations, and in a Catholic organization, there is generally someone assigned to this task, usually in the bishop’s office. Again, I would follow the chain of command, and report it ASAP to the proper authority before the verbal admissions of gay night-clubbing and homosexual attraction to another teacher- both highly problematic in themselves-develop into a case of overt sexual harassment or worse, molestation. If anonymous reporting is an option, that would be a great first step, but either way, action is required.
Hmmm, well, not in the U.S. I’ve worked for more than several large organizations in the U.S., and numerous times I worked under policies that obliged employees to report issues of concern to a supervisor… however, we weren’t to report trivial concerns, and they had to be substantiated. Concerns reported to HR had to have documentation behind them.
 
Hmmm, well, not in the U.S. I’ve worked for more than several large organizations in the U.S., and numerous times I worked under policies that obliged employees to report issues of concern to a supervisor… however, we weren’t to report trivial concerns, and they had to be substantiated. Concerns reported to HR had to have documentation behind them.
Of course, he should document what he has witnessed. But documentation is different from investigation, which is not FidesetRatioFan’s job, and in fact could make it look like he has some personal agenda. Since the great scandals, most dioceses now have people who are highly trained in investigating allegations of sexual harrassment or abuse, and these are the proper authorities to conduct an internal investigation.

If a complaint is determined to be unfounded, but the complainant acted on a reasonable suspicion or with reasonable evidence (gay cruising, admission of sexual attraction toward a co-worker) in a manner that any reasonable and prudent person would follow, then the complainant is generally not held to be liable.

I think this is hair splitting, however. The homosexual teacher is openly expressing sexual ideation toward a coworker, and is leading a nightlife that is scandalous.
 
Aha, I have another suggestion for the OP. Check into your diocese and see if they have an office of Youth Protection or Safe Environment or similar. Perhaps this is peculiar to dioceses in the United States, which set up these offices after the abuse scandals threatened to bankrupt many of them. But check their website, and if it is not obvious there, I would put in a call to your chancery office, remain anonymous if you need to. Ask there if they have someone in charge of sexual abuse reports. Find out information from them about how to deal with such a case.

So far, from the information you have given this, the person is only targeting adults with his talk. It is possible that he has revealed his “differing opinions” to the children, but he is not making passes at them, and this is good. I hope and pray that he stays away from children if he knows what is good for him. Make sure to stress this fact when speaking to the diocesan office. This is sexual harrassment between adults, which is a different matter than that involving minors or vulnerable adults. I am speaking here from experience in Safe Environment Training, provided by my diocese.

Of course, this depends on whether your school is an official part of the diocese. You say it is a Catholic school so I am assuming here that it is, either attached to a parish, or part of the diocese and subject to its rules and regulations. Check the diocesan website and it will tell you. I will pray for you.
 
Aha, I have another suggestion for the OP. Check into your diocese and see if they have an office of Youth Protection or Safe Environment or similar. Perhaps this is peculiar to dioceses in the United States, which set up these offices after the abuse scandals threatened to bankrupt many of them. But check their website, and if it is not obvious there, I would put in a call to your chancery office, remain anonymous if you need to. Ask there if they have someone in charge of sexual abuse reports. Find out information from them about how to deal with such a case.

So far, from the information you have given this, the person is only targeting adults with his talk. It is possible that he has revealed his “differing opinions” to the children, but he is not making passes at them, and this is good. I hope and pray that he stays away from children if he knows what is good for him. Make sure to stress this fact when speaking to the diocesan office. This is sexual harrassment between adults, which is a different matter than that involving minors or vulnerable adults. I am speaking here from experience in Safe Environment Training, provided by my diocese.

Of course, this depends on whether your school is an official part of the diocese. You say it is a Catholic school so I am assuming here that it is, either attached to a parish, or part of the diocese and subject to its rules and regulations. Check the diocesan website and it will tell you. I will pray for you.
I think this is a vey prudent course of action. I would only add, parenthetically, that if a heterosexual Catholic school teacher similarly verbalized an unchaste life style, and referred to a teacher of the opposite sex in a similar manner as the teacher in question here has, he or she should also be reported. The Catholic school teacher must be absolutely above reproach, and far above the norm in behavior inside or outside the classroom. Being out on the town barhopping is unacceptable even for straight Catholic school teachers, as is sexual innuendo of any kind. When one works for the Catholic Church or a Catholic School one is never “off duty” in terms of behavior and personal conduct. The same should be true of public school teachers as well, I might add.
 
Being out on the town barhopping is unacceptable even for straight Catholic school teachers, as is sexual innuendo of any kind. When one works for the Catholic Church or a Catholic School one is never “off duty” in terms of behavior and personal conduct. The same should be true of public school teachers as well, I might add.
This is where I become extremely conflicted. Sexual innuendo’s, to whatever degree, and barhopping is something that I have found occuring in every staffroom including my current one. To be fair Catholic schools do tend to be more reserved and respectful but a certain amount occurs. It would not be uncommon for the male teachers to refer to a female teacher in an appreciative way similar to how my new colleague referred to another. I just found it shocking it was in relation to a male member of staff. I just worry that it is my own prejudices and beliefs clouding my judgement.
But the same is not true of all countries. In some countries, there might be a strong culture against an employee doing anything, including reporting, against someone who is a peer, not a subordinate.
This is very much the case where I am. It is unheard of for somebody to report or document anything against ones peers. There are procedures in place but I have never ever heard of anyone availing of them.

The issue I have with my colleague is merely that I worry about the influence he may have with the students. The issue of sexual harrassment among staff is nothing I am overly concerned with as the comment in relation to a male teacher was more of an indication of his life choices. When a senior teacher or one of the brother or the chaplain is present his bearing and comments change.

I think that I have decided to mention my concerns to the school chaplain in private and ask him if he has noticed anything untoward.
 
I think that I have decided to mention my concerns to the school chaplain in private and ask him if he has noticed anything untoward.
What an excellent idea! Since chaplains are used to having to be discreet, this course of action seems especially wise.

I pray that the Spirit will gently guide the conversation and make it a productive one.
 
As I mentioned in my first post to this thread, I am only giving you my perspective as it is as a non-lawyer and a layperson with a meager knowledge of my own US law, and my own US diocesan policies and procedures according to the Safe Environment Training course they offer on a yearly basis here. This is the same SET course that teaches us that full frontal hugs are considered sexual harrassment. I have been told that this is not a universal perspective - well, of course not, because it surprised me when I heard it.

But I make an effort to adhere to my training, and I can only encourage you to educate yourself about policies and procedures that apply to you. We can’t do that for you on the forum, certainly not without knowing your exact location - and don’t give that to us, your anonymity is especially important in this case. You have the resources there, you can go to your diocesan website, you can look for your employee’s handbook, you can read the contract you signed when you were hired. I encourage you to do all these things and arm yourself as best you can, and then take whatever advice still applies…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top