Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

  • Thread starter Thread starter RidgeSprinter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey teachers, Taco Bell employees have been working all along!

That said. EVERYONE should have a will. Covid or not.
 
I’ve known virtuous teachers. Perhaps most of them. That said, they have spent decades telling children that there is no such thing as cooties only to mask up and fill out wills for covies. For the most part these are people who are getting paid not to work right now. That’s more than a lot of people can say.
I’ve noticed that since March, school shootings are down. So maybe it all evens out in the risk category.
 
I think between kindergarten and graduating college I had maybe 4 teachers that were good, hard working people who truly cared about students.

The rest were lazy government employees in it for the retirement.
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
I fared better. My mom and all my aunts were teachers so I ended up in good classes. However growing up almost completely surrounded by teachers outside of the classroom made me wonder why so many chose the profession if they hated it so much. My mother was an excellent teacher and wrote curriculum still in use today for Scott Foresman. I will say, seeing the behind the curtain thoughts and lives of teachers did play a part in my choice to homeschool. I always wanted to teach. Now I do, and I can honestly say I love and care for the kids.
 
Last edited:
I’ve got a few friends who are teachers and cousins. I don’t think any of them should be teachers.
 
I don’t think a decision to open the schools should be made until there’s a good sense that the pandemic has stabilized for several months. That rules out August-September of this year. Otherwise it’s like we’re putting the health of the nation in the hands of children, trusting that they’ll comply with all hygiene measures. I hate to say it, but our kids may not be up to it. A country like Japan, maybe it could expect compliance from children. In the US the respect for authority isn’t where it would need to be.
 
Last edited:
As a practical matter, why wait until one fears for one’s life to make out estate documents? This is something everyone should do who has assets of any value and wishes something better for them than going to the state after they die.
 
When I was in the Army, the pre-deployment trip to the JAG to update wills was always very sobering.

If you have any assets you want to pass to survivors, I suggest Trusts.
 
As a practical matter, why wait until one fears for one’s life to make out estate documents? This is something everyone should do who has assets of any value and wishes something better for them than going to the state after they die.
Absolutely.

Something every adult American should do regardless of circumstances.

And, I might add, if you don’t have a will, the state doesn’t always get everything, but it’s distributed according to state law to your relatives according to a formula, which might not be the way you’d want it to happen. I know I’m leaving everything to charity instead of to relatives who don’t need it.
 
The state doesn’t get it. It puts a hold on it until the estate can be probated. (I think that’s the term)
 
I think between kindergarten and graduating college I had maybe 4 teachers that were good, hard working people who truly cared about students.

The rest were lazy government employees in it for the retirement.
That’s a shame. Though it was back in the dark ages, I think I had maybe 4 teachers who weren’t good, hardworking people who truly cared about students. I don’t even think the 4 poor teachers I had were in it for retirement. I think there weren’t as many options back then.
 
As a practical matter, one should always have a current will.

As a question of risk, I don’t think they realize the survival rate for this virus.
 
My kids teachers were even worse. He’s 28 now, I always deferred to the teachers in respect to the fact that they had the authority over my son while in their custody, but they were truly awful. The administrators were even worse. I loathe the US education system and I find it laughable so many people think it deserves more funding rather than completely gutted and a new program started from scratch.
 
As a practical matter, one should always have a current will.
As a question of risk, I don’t think they realize the survival rate for this virus.
Majority doesn’t
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
40.png
RhodesianSon:
I think between kindergarten and graduating college I had maybe 4 teachers that were good, hard working people who truly cared about students.

The rest were lazy government employees in it for the retirement.
That’s a shame. Though it was back in the dark ages, I think I had maybe 4 teachers who weren’t good, hardworking people who truly cared about students. I don’t even think the 4 poor teachers I had were in it for retirement. I think there weren’t as many options back then.
This part seems to tie in with something my mother used to say.

She seemed to think that some people chose teaching because they thought it was “easy.”

And some people might have gone into teaching as a “Plan B.” In the case of women, like my aunt, it might have been partly because it was a job that was friendly to women. or maybe, because some other options weren’t as accessible to them. For my uncle, who grew up poor with no father, he knew that going to a streetcar college in the next town and becoming a teacher would be more attainable than some other options.
 
The state doesn’t get it. It puts a hold on it until the estate can be probated. (I think that’s the term)
I think that depends on the state. Some states have inheritance taxes at very low levels, and they’re the ones that tend to freeze assets, so they can be taxed. In other states, it’s very loose. My state follows the federal, so unless you have assets over 11 million, you won’t be taxed. So the state doesn’t bother to freeze anything.

But all that aside I think it should be possible to protect teachers and children who are demonstrably at risk. Very few children would be. Some larger percentage of teachers would be, but I don’t doubt they could still manage.

To me, if one is not an “at risk” person or a risk to someone who is, one should man up and go about his life.
 
I think our education system should do away with tenure. Once a teacher has tenure, it’s very difficult to fire him or her. Tenure may be job security for teachers, but it can also reduce the quality of the teaching. Knowing that they can’t be fired except for the most extreme circumstances causes some teachers to slack off and stop caring, if they even cared to begin with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top