Does the New Testament teach that Christ paid only for the guilt due to us for sins, rather than the consequences of those sins? Paul tells us that, since we’ve been forgiven, we now have peace with Christ.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the distinction between eternal and temporal punishments–and thus
purgatory.
As I recall, James White (bear with me for a second–I understand he’s not so popular 'round these parts) pointed out something interesting in a debate with Robert Sungenis. The Catholic view of purgatory (and by extention temporal punishment) does not seem to encompass God’s “discipline” which “teaches” his followers, as spoken of by Paul, but has a legal character to it. We need to “pay off our debt”–not only relating to (the temporal punishments for) mortal sins already forgiven, but also for venial sins themselves.
If temporal punishment is intended to “teach”, what are you supposed to learn in purgatory when you’re already dead?
Purgatory makes sense to me as “that place in between earth and heaven where you are made completely pure” since nothing unclean is allowed into heaven. (Though this brings up the infused-versus-imputed-righteousness debate, but that one’s for another thread. That question is another source of bafflement for me.) If James White (and I) understands purgatory correctly, it’s not clear why debt-repayment is required.