The Anime Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Augustinian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few anime I’ve watched in the past that inspired me in my Catholic Faith.

I doubt anyone has heard of this one. It’s really old. The anime is called Candy Candy. It’s more of a soap opera really of an orphan girl and set in the 1930’s (?) America. She grows up in a small orphanage run by an old lady and a nun. Eventually, she’s adopted by a rich family who treats her EXTREMELY horribly and she undergoes welll…suffering If you’ve read “A Little Princess.”, similar to that.

Several themes are present in various episodes. The value of kindness and charity. Charity for the poor. Humility. The beauty of prayer. And so forth.

Another is Kaito St. Tail. This belongs in the “magical girl” genre, basically a story of a girl who transforms into a magical thief and uses her thieving abilities to help people, usually the ones who pop into the church and leave a “prayer” request. Her best friend is a novice nun and knows her secret.

I could never forget that transformation sequence. In the translation I watched, she prays first and says, “Dear God, Forgive me for I use no gimmicks or tricks.” With a flurry of magic tricks, she transforms. She ends the transformation and prays with her nun friend saying “May the blessings of God be with us forever.”

I know, it breaks a few cathetical rules. But for some reason, that sequence has permantly gone stuck into my head and gives me a warm Catholic glow inside everytime I remember it.

There’s a more recent one I’d like to mention, something they’ve begun showing in our local anime channel. I don’t know what the original Japanese name is called but here it’s called “Maria watches over us.” Basically, about a group of girls living in a Catholic school and themes on friendship. I’m too tired to explain it so I’ll just post this instead.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Watches_Over_Us

Finally, I’d like to mention my favorite one of all, a real classic! Tetsuwan Atom or Astro Boy. This anime/manga isn’t Catholic but it does have a strong theme against racism and promotes justice, courage and most especially, innocence. Astro Boy, a robot amalgam of valor, charity and innocence, has always fascinated me.

I’ve also like to mention. In the manga, there were two times of great difficulty where Astro Boy prays to God and an unnamed “God of Robots” (I’d like to assume, Astro was hoping/praying to a divine being who looked after robots which of course, ultimately would be God Himself) Those parts really touched me. Even a robot can pray to God! Wow, that really really floored me.
 
whatever people, beleive what you want. just note that the peoplle who deal with the anime on a daily basis don’t think so, and I think we would be right in this matter, but…believe what you wish, I’m just saying all of my stuff in the point of view by the fansubbers, daily anime watchers, etc

(yes I’m a fansubber, yes I watch it daily, yes I have been into it for a long time, and I don’t think manwa are manga btw, and I know what I’m talking about.)

as I said. believe what you want, but I actually subtitle them and am active within the global anime community. just keep in mind what I say so you don’t at least insult the other, more…errr…yea watchers of anime that think aligned with how it is. just keep that not everyone considers it anime, and if it comes up within a convo…don’t actually bring it up or anything in the first place…but don’t get people who know anime extremely well…pissed off

**
 
There are a few anime I’ve watched in the past that inspired me in my Catholic Faith.

I doubt anyone has heard of this one. It’s really old. The anime is called Candy Candy. It’s more of a soap opera really of an orphan girl and set in the 1930’s (?) America. She grows up in a small orphanage run by an old lady and a nun. Eventually, she’s adopted by a rich family who treats her EXTREMELY horribly and she undergoes welll…suffering If you’ve read “A Little Princess.”, similar to that.

Several themes are present in various episodes. The value of kindness and charity. Charity for the poor. Humility. The beauty of prayer. And so forth.

Another is Kaito St. Tail. This belongs in the “magical girl” genre, basically a story of a girl who transforms into a magical thief and uses her thieving abilities to help people, usually the ones who pop into the church and leave a “prayer” request. Her best friend is a novice nun and knows her secret.

I could never forget that transformation sequence. In the translation I watched, she prays first and says, “Dear God, Forgive me for I use no gimmicks or tricks.” With a flurry of magic tricks, she transforms. She ends the transformation and prays with her nun friend saying “May the blessings of God be with us forever.”

I know, it breaks a few cathetical rules. But for some reason, that sequence has permantly gone stuck into my head and gives me a warm Catholic glow inside everytime I remember it.

There’s a more recent one I’d like to mention, something they’ve begun showing in our local anime channel. I don’t know what the original Japanese name is called but here it’s called “Maria watches over us.” Basically, about a group of girls living in a Catholic school and themes on friendship. I’m too tired to explain it so I’ll just post this instead.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Watches_Over_Us

Finally, I’d like to mention my favorite one of all, a real classic! Tetsuwan Atom or Astro Boy. This anime/manga isn’t Catholic but it does have a strong theme against racism and promotes justice, courage and most especially, innocence. Astro Boy, a robot amalgam of valor, charity and innocence, has always fascinated me.

I’ve also like to mention. In the manga, there were two times of great difficulty where Astro Boy prays to God and an unnamed “God of Robots” (I’d like to assume, Astro was hoping/praying to a divine being who looked after robots which of course, ultimately would be God Himself) Those parts really touched me. Even a robot can pray to God! Wow, that really really floored me.
Oh, I’ve heard wonderful things about Candy Candy. Are you in Italy or in South America? Those are the only places I’ve heard of it being shown outside Japan.

Marimite (the nickname for The Virgin Mary Is Watching You, from its Japanese name) isn’t on TV in America, and it’s not very popular except among shojo-ai fans, because they think it’s a Girls’ Love series. I’m glad to hear it isn’t, because it sounds *adorable *and I really don’t like GL. But Catholic schoolgirls being best friends sounds really cute.
 
Oh, I’ve heard wonderful things about Candy Candy. Are you in Italy or in South America? Those are the only places I’ve heard of it being shown outside Japan.

Marimite (the nickname for The Virgin Mary Is Watching You, from its Japanese name) isn’t on TV in America, and it’s not very popular except among shojo-ai fans, because they think it’s a Girls’ Love series. I’m glad to hear it isn’t, because it sounds *adorable *and I really don’t like GL. But Catholic schoolgirls being best friends sounds really cute.
I’m in the Philippines. Candy Candy was shown here quite a while back. And boy, was it a real tear-jerker. I remember watching this when I was younger and I hate admitting it but this show made me cry buckets on most Friday afternoons.

I try to follow Marimite and saw most of the episodes. The anime channel here, Animax where I saw it airs from Singapore and I think they would’t have shown it if it was “that” kind of anime…I think.

That reminds me. There’s actually one more anime that inspires me in my Catholic Faith…'cept in reverse. You know how in certain Catholic apparitions where Heaven shows the visionary a glimpse of Hell to try and induce sinners to repent? It’s sort of like that. Well, there’s this show called Jigoku Shoujo or “Hell Girl” that can also be found in Animax channel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigoku_Shoujo

Everytime Ai brings someone into the Infernal regions and says “We’re going to Hell.” at the end of each episode, I have a strong desire to go to confession ASAP.
 
I’m in the Philippines. Candy Candy was shown here quite a while back. And boy, was it a real tear-jerker. I remember watching this when I was younger and I hate admitting it but this show made me cry buckets on most Friday afternoons.

I try to follow Marimite and saw most of the episodes. The anime channel here, Animax where I saw it airs from Singapore and I think they would’t have shown it if it was “that” kind of anime…I think.

That reminds me. There’s actually one more anime that inspires me in my Catholic Faith…'cept in reverse. You know how in certain Catholic apparitions where Heaven shows the visionary a glimpse of Hell to try and induce sinners to repent? It’s sort of like that. Well, there’s this show called Jigoku Shoujo or “Hell Girl” that can also be found in Animax channel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigoku_Shoujo

Everytime Ai brings someone into the Infernal regions and says “We’re going to Hell.” at the end of each episode, I have a strong desire to go to confession ASAP.
😛 I watched parts of it, as well as a bit of Season 2 of the show

I also have ALL the raws for Season 1 all on my comp, just waiting to be subbed hehe 😛 (though only problem is that I can’t do the credits on teh opening that well…as it’s in an extremely fancy font…)

😛 msg me anytime, I can start subbing it if I feel like doing stuff… (it’s actually ok to take from another group really, IF and ONLY IF you edit it a heck load…which is what I would do for Jigoku Shoujo)

notes:
Jigoku Shoujo

Jigoku = Hell
Shoujo = Girl

Literally “Hell Girl” is the name of the anime…
or you can say “Girl of Hell” I guess…
  • faqcorner
edit:

oh and…

“Marimite”
Mari = Mary
Mite = See

Mary See is literal
See Mary / Seeing Mary equals a bit literal translation in a way…so to speak

edit 2:

Which then, Mary See, to make it make more sense…

Mary is Seeing / Mary is Watching / Watching is what Mary is doing …

blah blah blah, but yes, that translation is most likely correct…
 
whatever people, beleive what you want. just note that the peoplle who deal with the anime on a daily basis don’t think so, and I think we would be right in this matter, but…believe what you wish, I’m just saying all of my stuff in the point of view by the fansubbers, daily anime watchers, etc

(yes I’m a fansubber, yes I watch it daily, yes I have been into it for a long time, and I don’t think manwa are manga btw, and I know what I’m talking about.)

as I said. believe what you want, but I actually subtitle them and am active within the global anime community. just keep in mind what I say so you don’t at least insult the other, more…errr…yea watchers of anime that think aligned with how it is. just keep that not everyone considers it anime, and if it comes up within a convo…don’t actually bring it up or anything in the first place…but don’t get people who know anime extremely well…pissed off

**

Though huge swaths of that were utterly incoherent (“more…errr…yea watchers of anime that think aligned with how it is”–that’s not communication in any language of which I am aware), I did understand the part where you admit you’re a thief and you like illegible writing and lame text effects that get in the way of the artwork on screen. I believe the term for it, in your degraded criminal argot, is “fansubber”.

And incidentally, I watch anime daily too, but I pay for it–and I’ve been into it for a good 18 years, since I was five years old. As someone who is admittedly not fluent in Japanese, but is informally trained in the art and science of translation (fluency doesn’t mean you can translate worth a rap), the pro subs are infinitely better than the fansubs. I’ve seen plenty of both.

I’ll also guarantee I understand that industry better than you do (my sister’s a filmmaker and animator, albeit not in Japan–tell me, how much experience do you have on the production end?).

There are, in my opinion, only three standards for what is an “anime”:
  1. Japan–where all cartoons are.
  2. The industry that distributes such things here–which understands that there’ll be a lot of overlap of fans between Avatar and anime, therefore puts it in the same section while denying that it technically is one, in the arbitrary sense that American fans use the word.
  3. The “anime community,” i.e. the rings of illegal fansub pirates with no right to any of the material they view, where they deny that Avatar is an anime and then congratulate themselves on their insider knowledge of an industry they seem to think is a charity dedicated to providing free stuff to American basement-dwellers. Me, I don’t take the opinions of copyright-bandits.
 
Though huge swaths of that were utterly incoherent (“more…errr…yea watchers of anime that think aligned with how it is”–that’s not communication in any language of which I am aware),** I did understand the part where you admit you’re a thief and you like illegible writing and lame text effects that get in the way of the artwork on screen. I believe the term for it, in your degraded criminal argot, is “fansubber”.***

And incidentally, I watch anime daily too, but I pay for it–and I’ve been into it for a good 18 years, since I was five years old. As someone who is admittedly not fluent in Japanese, but is informally trained in the art and science of translation (fluency doesn’t mean you can translate worth a rap), the pro subs are infinitely better than the fansubs. I’ve seen plenty of both.**

**I’ll also guarantee I understand that industry better than you do (my sister’s a filmmaker and animator, albeit not in Japan–tell me, how much experience do you have on the production end?).

There are, in my opinion, only three standards for what is an “anime”:
  1. Japan–where all cartoons are.
  2. The industry that distributes such things here–which understands that there’ll be a lot of overlap of fans between Avatar and anime, therefore puts it in the same section while denying that it technically is one, in the arbitrary sense that American fans use the word.
  3. The “anime community,” i.e. the rings of illegal fansub pirates with no right to any of the material they view. Somehow, I don’t think the opinions of thieves count for much.*****
  • = I talk how I want, and I’m not a thief… “lame effects”, how about YOU try doing them, and encoding and all the stuff? After that, then I’ll acknowledge some stuff. if, you are able to beat it
** = who says we don’t “pay for it”, and who says we are doing licensed anime? we Fansubbers are the ones who brought anime to america and the rest of the world. without us, guess what? there wouldn’t even BE licensed anime in the US and the rest of the world. And really, what are you going to do? report me? yea right. I do anime that aren’t even licensed, and one of them, the more active one isn’t EVER going to get licensed, I can tell you that. Also, don’t bash others unless you know what they are doing perfectly, I know what I’m doing allright.

Also, I’ve seen plenty of the subs myself, which groups did you even look at? I’ve seen subs myself. way too plain. period.

" the pro subs are infinitely better than the fansubs. I’ve seen plenty of both." ← opinion.

*** = "1. Japan–where all cartoons are.
  1. The industry that distributes such things here–which understands that there’ll be a lot of overlap of fans between Avatar and anime, therefore puts it in the same section while denying that it technically is one, in the arbitrary sense that American fans use the word.
  2. The “anime community,” i.e. the rings of illegal fansub pirates with no right to any of the material they view. Somehow, I don’t think the opinions of thieves count for much."
    ^ I agree with all, except “illegal” and “pirates” and “theives”
  1. I don’t see the licensing companies always sending Cease and Detest Letters to all the subbing groups
  2. They only said it to AnimeSuki, which isn’t a subbing group to not host licensed anime
  3. They only sent people Cease and Detest Letters IF and ONLY IF they are losing money, otherwise, they would be gaining, so it doesn’t frickin matter
  4. Don’t dump us with warez pirates.
  5. we aren’t pirates
  6. I agree a bit with illegal, but it helps the economy in ways that you can’t obviously see, (open your eyes more)
  7. we aren’t thieves
  8. I don’t see DB getting sued. they are doing 2 of the most popular dubs… Naruto and Bleach
  9. We always say this, if you always miss it when you watch anime: “Don’t Sell the Subs” “This Subbed episode is not for sale or rent” “If you like this, buy the DVD”
I don’t think so. Don’t talk about it, and Don’t accuse someone of things just because of what you think is happening.

note to self: get all the people I know that is connected to subbing to come here also, let’s make this MORE fun ^^ (good luck at trying to beat them, if they do come, I’ll copy and paste their replys if they don’t feel like registering)
 
  • = I talk how I want, and I’m not a thief… “lame effects”, how about YOU try doing them, and encoding and all the stuff? After that, then I’ll acknowledge some stuff. if, you are able to beat it
Illiterate. I object to the appearance of the subtitles–they distract from the work and are difficult to read, because fansubbers get gimmicky with fonts and colors. Subtitles should be unobtrusive (look it up).
we Fansubbers are the ones who brought anime to america and the rest of the world. without us, guess what? there wouldn’t even BE licensed anime in the US and the rest of the world.
Really? Fansubbers brought Astroboy and Speed Racer and Gigantor, the first anime Americans ever saw, to the US?

Wrong.

And it wasn’t fansubbers that caused the DBZ wave, the Gundam wave, or the Naruto wave–it was Cartoon Network among others.

Oh, yeah, you know a helluva lot about the anime community, when you can’t even get the history of the US anime market right.
Also, I’ve seen plenty of the subs myself, which groups did you even look at? I’ve seen subs myself. way too plain. period.
" the pro subs are infinitely better than the fansubs. I’ve seen plenty of both." ← opinion.
The accuracy of a translation is not a matter of opinion, and subtitles should not make it difficult to see the art behind them. The purpose of subtitles is to convey meaning, not to be a whole nother layer of entertainment in themselves.
^ I agree with all, except “illegal” and “pirates” and “theives”
It is illegal, you do realize that, right? Maybe thieves and pirates was a bit strong, I do admit.
I agree a bit with illegal, but it helps the economy in ways that you can’t obviously see, (open your eyes more)
“Open my eyes more?” Oh, I’d dearly love to hear *your *interpretation of the theory of international exchange, not to mention the laws of Scarcity and Supply and Demand.
note to self: get all the people I know that is connected to subbing to come here also, let’s make this MORE fun ^^ (good luck at trying to beat them, if they do come, I’ll copy and paste their replys if they don’t feel like registering)
How about you not flood this forum with a bunch of semiliterate fanboys?
 
Has anyone looked into Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s? I watched a bit of it, and it seems interesting, as they duel differently, using bikes and more advanced holographic technology, as well as the plot sounds super interesting to me ^^

I find that they have different decks within 10 years of the GX series, like Syncro and Tuner decks, to bring out a new guy that I find quite interesting… “Junk Warrior” for Yuusei (new main char)

Apparently it is brought out by some syncro summon or something and then is able to change the attack points from its standard 2300 into more, by obtaining another guy’s hitpoints :]

Oh and…Apparently this “Junk Warrior” is the base of this guy’s deck other than this other card,…though forgot what it was called…

This Junk Warrior card or the other card, is equivalent to Yugi’s “Dark Magician” card, and Judai/Jaden’s “Elemental Hero Neos” card.

has anyone else look into this anime?
 
Hi Hastrman

I really don’t know anything about anime, fansubbing, or anything of this sort. I was just looking through this forum, and I wanted to tell you to chill out.

I’m saying this from a complete outside view; I really never look at forums or anime, but I think that you should really tone it down.

Although I don’t know anythinga bout anime, I’m pretty sure that the point of this forum is NOT to show off about how much anime you buy, how long you’ve been watching anime, or how knowledgeable you are at all of this stuff.

We all know that you’re a really experienced anime reader or watcher or whatever. This doesn’t mean that you can go around putting other people down, in fact, it probably means that you should set an example by NOT saying anything rude, since you’re apparently the world’s greatest anime person or something.

Trust me, when you’re an expert at a subject, it’ll be easy to criticize other people at the same subject. Don’t put your ego too high though, because there may be another jerk like you who will come in and crush your greatness too. There are always bigger fishes(:

So please, for the sake of a clean forum, chill the hell out.

oh, by the way. I’m rosemary.
 
Seeing as I am new here, I’ll try to keep my response to Hastrman as brief as possible (given the amount of information that needs to be stated, it may not be “short” at all).

While I am a fan of anime (both subbed and dubbed), to go out and literally bash someone for taking time out of their lives, along with others who help them to make shows that were not dubbed into english viewable for the general audience, is completely unacceptable.

Most anime that comes from Japan is dubbed by companies (more often than not, it is FunImation, based in Canada) then released to the public via television medians (such as Cartoon Network).

As far as piracy goes, let me let you in on a little secret: Most, if not all, fansubbing groups obtain their “raws” through legal means (meaning, they purchase the DVDs/VHSs) then use those as a base for their fansubs (I know of at least 3 major fansubbing groups that do this: one of which is Dark Star Subs, which was spearheaded by faqcorner. The other 2 are Wolf Pack Productions and DATS [whatever that stands for. Something from Digimon]).

Another secret of the fansubbers: They release the fan-subbed versions to the public for free. Sure, that may seem like piracy or theft, but you overlook something: How many people in the US (the targeted demograph) are bi-lingual? A good amount, to say the least. Now, let’s factor out some people. How many bi-linguals have Japanese are their second language? Not a whole lot. Let’s factor out some more. How many of those remaining are NOT of Japanese ethnicity? Now, you are down to a VERY SMALL number of people.

Take that info, now take this into consideration: How many people watch the dubbed versions of japanese anime? A heck of a lot more than people who are bi-lingual with Japanese. Take Megaman NT Warrior/Rockman.EXE for instance. 3 seasons were brought over and dubbed. What about the other 3 that were not? People are left with a large cliff-hanger. Enter fansubbers. They take on the task of subbing those that were not dubbed so that people can continue to watch the series to the very end. That, Hastrman, is the reason that fansubs exist.

If you honestly think that the companies that put out the originals are losing money to fansubs, then you are dead wrong. I don’t know Japanese well. I can maybe translate 3 or 4 words, and that is it. Not enough to watch a full episode of, say, Rockman.EXE Stream. Would I buy a product here in the US if I couldn’t understand it? Heck no. It would be a waste of money. But, since fansubs of it exist (up to episode 4, out of 51), I can watch those instead and understand what is going on. Is ShoPro losing money because of it? Nope. Know why? Because I wasn’t a potential customer to begin with. You can’t lose money to people who aren’t going to buy them.

As for how they [fansubbers] style their text…well…I might have to agree with you, to an extent. Sometimes, the styles don’t fit well with the background, and they are hard to read. But, they learn from their mistakes, and make the next one better. As for the text not being up long enough for you to read it, well, sorry. But, people who speak Japanese naturally speak fast.

Granted, if ShoPro went out of their way and they did subtitle Rockman.EXE Stream, Beast, and Beast+ (the 3 seasons that were not dubbed) I would, of course, in a heartbeat, purchase them. However, because they are NON-EXISTANT (subs from ShoPro), fansubs come in. The whole reason for fansubs is to target viewers who cannot understand the native language of the show in question.

That is their demograph. That is why they fansub. If you still think it is piracy, thieving, and the like, then you are entitled to your opinion.

However, don’t go around trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

P.S. Fansubbed stuff has actually helped me become a better reader. Only having a limited amount of time to read something and comprehend it has helped me to reader faster

/threadjack

Well, back to things at hand.

I do watch anime on occasion. Mostly, I have become a major fan of Megaman NT Warrior/Rockman.EXE. Other stuff I have watched include Bleach, Naruto (never watching again. Hehe.), Gundam Wing, Pilot Candidate, and Inuyasha.
 
THANK YOU(: hahahah

even though the rest of that blog was totally in another language(: Hahaha, its okay. I kinda got the gist of it…
 
So how about something we can all agree on: Gravitation is a blight on mankind.
 
So how about something we can all agree on: Gravitation is a blight on mankind.
true

(yes, pretty much ignoring everything else that was posted before…though yes, DSS - Dark Star Subs, is actually doing RMS, or Rockman.EXE Stream. not licensed, nor it doesn’t look like they plan to, as RnR, or Ryuusei no Rockman, was shown here after Axess finished oh and the name here = MegaMan Star Force

RnRT doesn’t seem to want to come here (Ryuusei no Rockman: Tribe)

Also, before you bash fansubbers more, keep in mind, that there are others that do fandubbing, “Abridged” series, and actually uploading the US versions (official dubs) of the show.

fandubbing = fans voicing it in english, using japanese
Abridged = funny. period.
USversions = licensed episodes

I think, the people who are uploading and ripping the US versions should be yelled at first, not us :p, sorry, wrong target…

oh and dont’ call me a criminal either.

…and you try timing and ktiming an opening, ending, and all 30 minutes worth of video, and having to listen to the same darn line over and over again?

oh and reason the dubs would “have better japanese” is cause they get the script. subtitlers don’t, we have to translate it by ear. try that before using the script. it’s harder…

also before you again say that I am a thief, try knowing what I did in addition to the subbing, however, it is dropped at the moment because logistics problems and lack of financial support…I think the people who had been at my forum for awhile would know about this project. “FAQCorner- Own”, if you want I can copy and paste what it said here, but I wouldn’t, as this wasn’t going to be part of my post.)

(and everyone ignored my trying-to-get-back-on-topic post about Yugioh 5D’s… :/)
 
here is the “Project Outline” of FAQCorner-Own.

THERE ARE OUTDATED NAMES:
Well…to start out, this project of FAQCorner, is called “FAQCorner - Own” and could and should work with the other project “FAQCorner - Guides”, “FAQCorner- Downloads”, possibly “FAQCorner - Programming” but most of all, supposed to be with “FAQCorner-Subs” (the Fansubbing project).
So…you might be wondering what the heck this project is about…
============
Basicly to cut EVERYTHING short, instead of the anime companies buying and licensing the anime, FAQCorner - Own does.

Note: though this is primarily for anime but can be for the other ones like manga, games, etc.​

Ok, if you think this idea’s a bit crazy, it is, but worth a try.
But first I’m going to show how this ties into my other projects…
============
FAQCorner-Guides: We get to make “official” episode reviews / summaries, provide “official” documentation, etc. (depending on which media - anime, manga, games, etc.)
FAQCorner-Downloads: Can also be worked by letting official downloads of the anime/manga/games/etc
FAQCorner-Subs: Here’s where this project’s important. Ok, basicly Fansubbing is considered REALLY illegal in the sense that “Licensing companies come and buy the anime” then Subbers, aren’t legally in the US or whatever to continue fansubbing this series… but FAQCorner-Own gives us an “upper chance” so to speak…
FAQCorner-Programming: Can work hand in hand for buying foreign software and then distribute those software for free of some other way
============
Still interested?
Just know this is ALL from my mind, and I somehow thought of it, but there are still some logistics to be taken care of and some other parts of the site to be started/done before doing this, so I have time
============
The “Plan” (anime):
FAQCorner-Own works with FAQCorner-Subs.
FAQCorner-Subs tells FAQCorner-Own what they are trying to sub
FAQCorner-Own does a search on the userbase of each project (anime)
→ if: userbase too small, puts on “hold”
→ else if: userbase is big / “too big” → Starts next stage
FAQCorner-Own sets up a donation button at various parts of the FAQCorner website.
The Donation Button is for gaining “donations” for that specific anime.
→ if: project is already licensed, drop project (at least in FAQCorner-Own)
→ else if: project is NOT licensed, continue
Then, if the project (in this case, Anime) isn’t licensed, FAQCorner-Own presents to the MAKERS in JAPAN the DONATIONS and the licensing agreement.
→ if: they say no + reasons => try to fix reasons and resubmit if able
→ else if: they say no + period (final decision) => drop for now, go back later
→ else: they say yes => continue
Ok, now “FAQCorner-Own” would be the licensers in the USA of that specific anime. Thus, FAQCorner-Own would be allowed to distribute how it wants, etc.
We get the scripts of the people, so it’ll be easier to translate from Japanese → English
We can organize Fandubs of the series
We can authorize other groups to fansub the same anime
→ then go back to the lesser ones, use old donations to buy those ones and have ownership over those.
How is it good?
well I just said:
  • we get the scripts
  • we can /will Authorize legally other fansubbing groups to be able to keep subbing / sub it
  • we can organize “official” fandubs of the series
  • we don’t “lose” any money, because hopefully, most of the bulk of this project would be donations. I’ll try to contribute some money once I get some for internet use, but I would obviously not have enough to try to get an anime series licensed from Japan to the US.
  • we can also authorize and keep the videos in youtube - as in the RAWs (possibly), and subtitled, and also distribute it as actual DVDs…maybe like dual-audio with english subtitles for the japanese audio, and the other DVD would have english sound - but because of our “authorized” fandubs
    =======
Please post any comments, suggestions, etc here.
only these “rules”:
  • constructive critisism please
  • don’t say this is impossible, you never know, it COULD be possible…
  • discuss logistics
  • follow the TOS.
  • remember that I made these up in between and during some classes at school and thought about it a couple of times at night.
  • tell me if something doesn’t make sense…
^ If you bothered reading through that, and still call me a thief/criminal/whatever, you are just…stupid.

oh and the post above was posted on “January 19th, 2008”

in a nutshell:
  • We, instead of the anime licensing people, go and approach the Japanese companies, and get our own license for US distribution, namely, for us buying it and subtitling it, and possibly letting some other groups do it too.
  • would have been fueled by donations, therefore these isn’t any loss of money…possibly even a gain of money, but whatever, I’m not in fansubbing for money. I don’t gain a penny.
yes I even addressed that subtitling a licensed, or a brought over from Japan to the US anime was illegal.

still think it, either way, don’t bother me. I don’t think this is the topic for discussing about it either way. however, I had to do that, or you would still insist on me being a “thief”/“criminal” whatever.

if you still do so after, I advise you to go somewhere else through another media to complain.

Note: sorry that this is long, it’s cause I had to copy that topic or this guy up there would complain of me being a thief. Hopefully I wouldn’t have to get into those topics anymore…

and now onto the real subject of this topic…

episode 2 came out for yugioh 5ds…

it’s something about a bug user…

and I hate bugs -_-’… (why do they keep having to have bug decks…)
 
Gravitation is everything wrong with BL, and its twelve-year-old fans scare me. I think that might be because of my particular taste (I only like Dorian Gray-type pairings like Albert and the Count in Gankutsuou), but it might also be that Gravitation is just plain bad plotless “stereotypical” yaoi that tries to make being gay look perfectly normal while it’s all done by emotionally damaged characters. (whew, long sentence)

My roommate’s watching 5D’s. She likes it, but she also liked GX.
Is Raleigh - I think that’s her name - a girl or a trap? We’ve been trying to figure that out since she came on. She refers to herself as “ore”, but she seems like the kind of girl who’d do that, so it’s hard to tell.

You would know about this if anyone here does: is there an anime for Reborn in the works? I find it an extremely amusing manga (quite lolsome, actually), since it’s basically everything that teenage boys think is awesome, all in one series, but from everything I can tell it seems like it’s only popular with teenage girls over here.
 
Gravitation is everything wrong with BL, and its twelve-year-old fans scare me. I think that might be because of my particular taste (I only like Dorian Gray-type pairings like Albert and the Count in Gankutsuou), but it might also be that Gravitation is just plain bad plotless “stereotypical” yaoi that tries to make being gay look perfectly normal while it’s all done by emotionally damaged characters. (whew, long sentence)
when I see yaoi/yuri/shounen-ai/shoujo-ai I usually go away…

a 12 year old?..wow…just wow…
My roommate’s watching 5D’s. She likes it, but she also liked GX.
Is Raleigh - I think that’s her name - a girl or a trap? We’ve been trying to figure that out since she came on. She refers to herself as “ore”, but she seems like the kind of girl who’d do that, so it’s hard to tell.
not really sure right now, currently looking forward to a release so I can understand more of it (I can understand most / some of it right now, though…it’s cause stuff are implied…)
You would know about this if anyone here does: is there an anime for Reborn in the works? I find it an extremely amusing manga (quite lolsome, actually), since it’s basically everything that teenage boys think is awesome, all in one series, but from everything I can tell it seems like it’s only popular with teenage girls over here.
no idea. never heard of it…
 
I’ll stop if that guy and everyone else stops insulting me about me doing it. and I wouldn’t have brought the current one up if this person didn’t insult me. I’ll stop, if that guy doesn’t bring it up. I would have stopped and without a fuss if he spoke how you just said it. I don’t think I want to stop when someone is calling me a “thief” “criminal” or whatever else he said. I take that seriously and offensively and therefore I will respond if it persists,

really, if he didn’t insult me like that / other people or complain about how I talk/type/literacy, I wouldn’t have done so
only people I would personally not care about them complaining about those are my editors, qualitycheckers, my parents, and my english teacher…and other teachers, which he obviously isn’t any of which ]
only people I would personally not care about them insulting me…is nobody…nobody may insult me, if they do, then I will respond.]

basicly if people stop bothering me about “oh he fansubs, so he’s a thief” or “fansubbing is illegal, you shouldn’t do it” or “fansubber’s work that they spend hours on all suck”, and stuff, then I will stop, if it continues, well I will continue. tell him to stop, not me, I’m just defending myself right now.
He started on you because, well, you wouldn’t shut up. I’ve been watching the whole thread. Anyway.

when I see yaoi/yuri/shounen-ai/shoujo-ai I usually go away…

a 12 year old?..wow…just wow…
More likely than you think. I had a girl I RPed with earlier this year who was 13 and had been obsessed with the stuff for a while. Granted, she had self-esteem issues and hated the female sex in general. But most girls that age do.

not really sure right now, currently looking forward to a release so I can understand more of it (I can understand most / some of it right now, though…it’s cause stuff are implied…)
She’s been watching the raws because her listening skills for Japanese are fairly good. I was hoping you might have some insight on that, seeing as you have to work with the raws as a fansubber.

no idea. never heard of it…
Surprised at that. It’s one of the manga they serialize in the American release of Shonen Jump. It’s all about a middle school boy who “ends up” becoming a mafia boss and all of the crazy mafia stuff that happens to him and his fellow school-age bodyguards. It’s got battles and explosions and baseball and and and… it’s just cool and I’m really surprised so few guys like it compared to Naruto, because it’s a lot cooler than Naruto, even though the plot is really stupid.
 
He started on you because, well, you wouldn’t shut up. I’ve been watching the whole thread. Anyway.
are you saying that it is ok for him to call me a thief and a criminal? as that kind of talk is the real reason I went back at him (and cause he said my english is bad.)

As I said, if he said that in a nicer way, than being blunt and stuff like that, I would have listened. I see no reason to listen to someone that spits insults at me. Nor do I see any reason to agree with them either.
More likely than you think. I had a girl I RPed with earlier this year who was 13 and had been obsessed with the stuff for a while. Granted, she had self-esteem issues and hated the female sex in general. But most girls that age do.
o.O
She’s been watching the raws because her listening skills for Japanese are fairly good. I was hoping you might have some insight on that, seeing as you have to work with the raws as a fansubber.
yes. I’ve been watching them as well. I’m mostly just waiting for Episode 2 to come out in RAW (yes I know it’s already on youtube, but that’s Low Quality. I’d rather watch a high quality…)
Surprised at that. It’s one of the manga they serialize in the American release of Shonen Jump. It’s all about a middle school boy who “ends up” becoming a mafia boss and all of the crazy mafia stuff that happens to him and his fellow school-age bodyguards. It’s got battles and explosions and baseball and and and… it’s just cool and I’m really surprised so few guys like it compared to Naruto, because it’s a lot cooler than Naruto, even though the plot is really stupid.
I usually only look into stuff that are more of non-school type of anime…and not H-anime obviously…
 
are you saying that it is ok for him to call me a thief and a criminal? as that kind of talk is the real reason I went back at him (and cause he said my english is bad.)
Well, if you don’t want people to insult your English, make sure your grammar is good when you’re mind-bogglingly arrogant about your subculture-of-a-subculture knowing everything about everything.

And “fansubbing” means, to most people, “unlicensed,” that is, people who literally are taking food from my sister’s mouth. Maybe you can just be calm about the fact most of it’s unlicensed, but *you’re *not an animator. This is personal for me: I’m a writer, my sister’s a filmmaker. Unlicensed distribution hurts us directly.

If you *are *licensed, for heaven’s sake say so! If you say “I’m an arms dealer,” when you mean you run a completely legal gun-shop, people’s reactions are your fault, not theirs!

I apologize for overreacting, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top