The Anime Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Augustinian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you don’t want people to insult your English, make sure your grammar is good when you’re mind-bogglingly arrogant about your subculture-of-a-subculture knowing everything about everything.

And “fansubbing” means, to most people, “unlicensed,” that is, people who literally are taking food from my sister’s mouth. Maybe you can just be calm about the fact most of it’s unlicensed, but *you’re *not an animator. This is personal for me: I’m a writer, my sister’s a filmmaker. Unlicensed distribution hurts us directly.

If you *are *licensed, for heaven’s sake say so! If you say “I’m an arms dealer,” when you mean you run a completely legal gun-shop, people’s reactions are your fault, not theirs!

I apologize for overreacting, though.
What are your thoughts on internet distribution of franchises not licensed in the US (for instance, Rose of Versailles)?
 
Hmm… Anything by Studip Ghibli is fantastic. There are several other series that are alright too… FLCL being my favorite.

I’m an animation major. Though anime ususally has a strong story, it has the absolute worst movement in all the world’s animation industry. Therefore, in school we are not allowed to watch anime as it might affect our knowledge of the principles of animation. I don’t watch a lot of it.
They are omproving tho. I think the main reason, anime is so choppy, is Japanese people as a culture have to make do with little. Their studio budgets are very small so they can’t afford Disney style animation. That is not to say that there is some more smooth anime being released. The new Ghost in the shell movie was very well animated. Plus, the sporadic-ness in some adds a nice little flavor to it. The best Japanese animation often done by that which is funded by the United states. You wouldn’t believe how many studios in the East do all the inbetween work for us. Their animation is poor because they simply don’t have the money. A good short anime film as proof of this is “Blood the last Vampire” It was only 45 minutes because that level of animation was just too expensive to extend for an hour. This extends to live action films in Japan as well, they simply can’t afford to make all those amazing movies that we make. It’s probably why they read more comic books than we do, it’s a cheaper form of entertainment.
 
wait…I’m confused…How is it illegal to translate something? I don’t understand, Personally, The official subs often bother me because I know that their translations are often inaccurate. The “fanSubers” as you call them seem to be more knowledgeable in the language and the context. I hate how they ruin some of the jokes or cultural context which is why I hate dubbing even more. But I don’t get why putting your own subs on something is any more illegal than purchasing a book in japan, and then translating it myself and for my friends so they can read it. Some of those books will never come to American soil. But I don’t get how imparting knowledge is bad. I don’t understand the business world anyway, It makes no logical sense. I still haven’t come to terms with the fact that people have to pay to learn.
 
What are your thoughts on internet distribution of franchises not licensed in the US (for instance, Rose of Versailles)?
In general, I don’t mind it terribly, but I do think it ought to cease if the show does get licensed here.

As for that example, I don’t generally like Japanese stuff dealing with France, because it’s basically the British understanding of the French filtered through the Japanese understanding of the British–or in other words, nonsense. Anything that stops that kind of thing from spreading, I can’t mind.
 
In general, I don’t mind it terribly, but I do think it ought to cease if the show does get licensed here.

As for that example, I don’t generally like Japanese stuff dealing with France, because it’s basically the British understanding of the French filtered through the Japanese understanding of the British–or in other words, nonsense. Anything that stops that kind of thing from spreading, I can’t mind.
I was just throwing it out as an example because it’s been twenty years since it came out in Japan and it’s got that massive cult following. Right now I’m more interested in Higurashi, lol.
 
In general, I don’t mind it terribly, but I do think it ought to cease if the show does get licensed here.

As for that example, I don’t generally like Japanese stuff dealing with France, because it’s basically the British understanding of the French filtered through the Japanese understanding of the British–or in other words, nonsense. Anything that stops that kind of thing from spreading, I can’t mind.
how about this.

I do what I want.
you do what you want.
we ignore each other.

You can have your own opinions, and so can I. and my opinion is that my fansubbing/subbing isn’t stealing.

and like the other person said…get the frick out of this subject of fansubbing and back into the anime part. once you stop talking about it, I’ll try to be sure not to talk about it as much, if not, I’ll keep on doing it. I don’t mind, though it is causing a lot of chaos here~

basicly: I do my own ****. you do your own ****. we ignore each other completely over the subject of fansubbing

if not, technically I’m ok with this, “fighting” over if fansubbing/subbing is ok or not, though I don’t think it sits well with the rest of the people. but I will continue if you don’t stop it (and I’ll personally stop after you stop talking about it)

Deal or no deal? (hahaha… >.>)

if it’s no deal, don’t blame me for what happens~…
 
how about this.

I do what I want.
you do what you want.
we ignore each other.

You can have your own opinions, and so can I. and my opinion is that my fansubbing/subbing isn’t stealing.

and like the other person said…get the frick out of this subject of fansubbing and back into the anime part. once you stop talking about it, I’ll try to be sure not to talk about it as much, if not, I’ll keep on doing it. I don’t mind, though it is causing a lot of chaos here~

basicly: I do my own ****. you do your own ****. we ignore each other completely over the subject of fansubbing

if not, technically I’m ok with this, “fighting” over if fansubbing/subbing is ok or not, though I don’t think it sits well with the rest of the people. but I will continue if you don’t stop it (and I’ll personally stop after you stop talking about it)

Deal or no deal? (hahaha… >.>)

if it’s no deal, don’t blame me for what happens~…
Yo, thinktank, he asked me a question about it. I wasn’t talking to you.

Maybe you should ACTUALLY READ AND BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND MY POSTS BEFORE YOU REPLY.

:banghead:
 
I am amazed to see that Chrono Crusade (also spelled Chrno) was not the first anime on here. It is the story of an exorcist nun for crying out loud. It uses a lot of Catholic terminology, albeit adapted for the story’s purposes. There are also references real life events such as Our Lady of Fatima.
However it is important to remember that it is a work of fiction because while the religious orders may seem Catholic to the casual observer, some aspects of the story could lead to serious misunderstandings about religious orders in general.
 
I figured that this would be a good place to post this. This is more of a free-for-all thread than anything else, but I guess it’s guided by these general questions:
  1. What are some of your favorite anime?
  2. Are there any anime that you find conducive to Catholic values?
  3. What annoys you about the portrayal of religion and the Western world in anime?
  4. So forth.
  1. Yuu Yuu Hakusho
    Maison Ikkoku
    Hikaru no Go
    Konjiki no Gasshu Beru
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Pokemon
  2. I’m not sure about the conducive to Catholic values, but the above shows are conducive to what we used to like to call good old American values of friendship, fair play, and protecting those you love.
  3. Nothing so far! 😃
 
I figured that this would be a good place to post this. This is more of a free-for-all thread than anything else, but I guess it’s guided by these general questions:
  1. What are some of your favorite anime?
  2. Are there any anime that you find conducive to Catholic values?
  3. What annoys you about the portrayal of religion and the Western world in anime?
  4. So forth.
  1. I like Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
    Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko
    Tonari no Totoro
  2. Not that I know of since I am not aware of any artists who themselves hold Catholic values and could add those to a story. Could a non Catholic artist add Catholic values? I guess to some extent but it would be lacking a real understanding and I would suspect they were using Catholic themese just to add a certain religious feel to the story.
  3. That it comes across as mixed up, silly, or weird, sort of like how people in Western countries can be ignorant or indiffernt about the differences between Japanese and Chinese culture.
  4. I dont like Doraemon
 
  • Full Metal Alchemist
  • Ranma 1/2
  • Azumanga Daioh
  • Trigun
I don’t know about any that portray Catholicism in a positive light. As diligio mentioned, there’s Chrno Crusade, which I do enjoy, but the main character (a nun) also runs around in an extremely tight fitting dress for at least one episode I can remember. Granted, I haven’t seen the entire show, so I may have a slanted view on it.
 
I figured that this would be a good place to post this. This is more of a free-for-all thread than anything else, but I guess it’s guided by these general questions:
  1. What are some of your favorite anime?
  2. Are there any anime that you find conducive to Catholic values?
  3. What annoys you about the portrayal of religion and the Western world in anime?
  4. So forth.
All right! A Catholic Otaku thread! plays cheering music
  1. Hmm… let’s see. Other than the usual mainstream titles like Bleach and Naruto, I also have a new favorite: D.Gray-Man. It’s a pretty interesting anime with a few Catholic themes. I pretty much like anime that have fantasy elements but I’m also a huge closet sap for romance anime (usually the highschool variety). 😊
  2. Well one value I always like in anime is the giving up your life for your friends. If I remember correctly, Christ was a perfect example of this sort of thing. 🙂
  3. Let’s see… I can’t really think up much except when religion is being portrayed as something to justify prejudice and tyrranny. When I become an accomplished anime writer, I’m thinking of changing that trend. 😃
  4. I should warn you though. I’m sorta one of those who’ve seen what you might call the dark side of anime and I suffer from a little cough addiction from it. If you can guess what it is, kindly please not flame me and actually give me your thoughts on what to do with it. 😦
 
I’m no good at guessing, but whatever the problem, prayer would help.
 
All right! A Catholic Otaku thread! plays cheering music
  1. Hmm… let’s see. Other than the usual mainstream titles like Bleach and Naruto, I also have a new favorite: D.Gray-Man. It’s a pretty interesting anime with a few Catholic themes. I pretty much like anime that have fantasy elements but I’m also a huge closet sap for romance anime (usually the highschool variety). 😊
  2. Well one value I always like in anime is the giving up your life for your friends. If I remember correctly, Christ was a perfect example of this sort of thing. 🙂
  3. Let’s see… I can’t really think up much except when religion is being portrayed as something to justify prejudice and tyrranny. When I become an accomplished anime writer, I’m thinking of changing that trend. 😃
  4. I should warn you though. I’m sorta one of those who’ve seen what you might call the dark side of anime and I suffer from a little cough addiction from it. If you can guess what it is, kindly please not flame me and actually give me your thoughts on what to do with it. 😦
  1. ZOMG BLEACH!!!111!
    I love everyone in Bleach except Mayuri. No seriously. And that’s because Mayuri’s done so much egregious **** and because he’s part of Soul Society he gets away with it (psycho as Szayel was, I actually prefer his mad scientist thing to Mayuri’s).
  2. Oh yes, your nakama. That’s the thing I love so much about shonen stuff: nakama. Your friends are your family as much as your family is.
  3. If you and I are thinking of the same thing there is a resource thread for you in Moral Theology.
 
Oh yeah and I don’t like Mayuri too. His zanpakutou and Bankai are most disturbing indeed. O_O;;

I find his lieutenant pretty cute though. ^///^
 
I’ve been thinking lately on how Anpanman has this kind of a Eucharistic overtone.

The present form of Anpanman, as his name suggests, has a head made of anpan, thus when he encounters someone starving, he lets them eat off part of his head.

Originally, Yanase Takashi conceived Anpanman (1968) as merely a man in a costume distributing anpan to hungry people: but when he started to write the story for children (1973), he started to depict Anpanman in his present incarnation.

Somehow this act of (literal) self-giving almost reminds one of:

“I am the living bread which came down from Heaven. If any man eats of this bread he shall live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”

And:

“This is my body, which is given up for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
 
I’m enjoying right now Eyeshield 21 Funny anime, especially with the antics of the Deimon Devil Bats’ quarterback and team captain, Yoichi Hiruma. He’s actually the scene stealer in many episodes that I’ve watched so far, making his character much better than the main lead, Sena Kobayakawa.
 
Oh yeah and I don’t like Mayuri too. His zanpakutou and Bankai are most disturbing indeed. O_O;;

I find his lieutenant pretty cute though. ^///^
Nemu is adorable. Have you been following the scans of the manga? The Mayuri vs. Szayel fight that came out back in December involves Nemu in a rather interesting way (and got everyone’s favorite pink-haired scientist arrancar a few fan nicknames).

Also, as to your above post: it may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but some of the content might also be applicable to your situation.
 
Nemu is adorable. Have you been following the scans of the manga? The Mayuri vs. Szayel fight that came out back in December involves Nemu in a rather interesting way (and got everyone’s favorite pink-haired scientist arrancar a few fan nicknames).

Also, as to your above post: it may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but some of the content might also be applicable to your situation.
Actually I’m afraid don’t read the manga cuz I make it a rule to myself to stick with the anime version first to the very end before consulting the manga for canon referrences. However, everytime I break that rule I usually wind up getting more attached to the manga now and completely neglecting to watch the anime. <.<;;

P.S.

I think I may have found the thread but I’m still lacking a bit of feedback. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top