The Anime Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Augustinian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. What are some of your favorite anime?
My favorite genres are cyberpunk (Cowboy Bebop), psychological (Code Geass), horror (Ghost Hunt), romantic comedy (Onegai Teacher), underworld (Black Lagoon), law enforcement (GITS:SAC).

I’m not really into mecha anime (Code Geass is an exception but only because I like the plot), grunting warrior anime (like Dragon Ball), or anime with drawn out romances that don’t go anywhere.
  1. Are there any anime that you find conducive to Catholic values?
Some of the romance and romantic comedy anime I’ve seen have characters who find fornication to be outright scandalous. Onegai Teacher is one such anime, though one unmarried couple does secretly have sex. SPOILER The main characters also marry hastily, but they are a very faithful couple even when it seems like the boy is cheating on his wife and they have the same experiences I imagine that chaste newlyweds have.

A lot of romance anime emphasize the first kiss as well. Characters are very careful when they choose the person to give their first kiss to.

Some military anime also support Just War, like Code Geass. SPOILER Lelouch has a power that eventually corrupts him, but initially he is outraged by the treatment of the Elevens by Britannia, and many of the rebels fight to free the Elevens.
  1. What annoys you about the portrayal of religion and the Western world in anime?
Nothing, really. I thought the Church of Violence was an attack on Catholicism because the nuns and later their priest are arms dealers and the young nun likes to drink and sleep around, but later in the series it’s clear that they use that as a front and aren’t taking orders from the Church.
 
Takahashi Rumiko, who also wrote Inu Yasha and Maison Ikkoku, produced at least one series with a Catholic theme: One-Pound Gospel, in which a novitiate nun gets roped into training a not-very-dedicated boxer.

I have NO idea how it comes out; I don’t have the whole series! 😊

My fanfic introduces a slightly Catholic theme, and I’ve gotten only a few ‘bad’ reactions to it (“Eww! Religion!”), but not as many as you’d think.
 
You have to be really lucky with veoh.com though. Sometimes people will post only part of a series. I thought veoh.com had the entire Fruits Basket series but only half was up and I had to alternate between subbed and dubbed versions and I ended up never finishing the series. The Onegai Teacher OVA was on veoh.com long enough for me to see it, but two days later it was gone.
 
You just watch them like on YouTube. You don’t actually download the shows.
 
I have no idea. You might be able to find it at a used book store. There’s a huge used book store near where I live that has a ton of manga, but I always feel awkward looking at it.
 
Amazon and EBay between them have pretty much anything you could desire.
 
I already checked Amazon for One Pound Bible, but they don’t have it.
 
I already checked Amazon for One Pound Bible, but they don’t have it.
Umm… it’s One Pound Gospel. ^^’
And I actually just found a few sellers of it on Ebay.

On another note, I’ve noticed that this manga ran for a pretty long while. 1987-2007 if Wikipedia is to be believed. Did it have an official canon ending? :confused:
 
Apparently it is brought out by some syncro summon or something and then is able to change the attack points from its standard 2300 into more, by obtaining another guy’s hitpoints :]

Oh and…Apparently this “Junk Warrior” is the base of this guy’s deck other than this other card,…though forgot what it was called…

This Junk Warrior card or the other card, is equivalent to Yugi’s “Dark Magician” card, and Judai/Jaden’s “Elemental Hero Neos” card.

has anyone else look into this anime?
Actually, it is Stardust Dragon that is equivalent to the Dark Magician. Red Demon’s Dragon is obviously equivalent to Blue Eyes White Dragon.

I looked in to it. Neo Domino City and Satellite reminds me of Hong Kong - that paradise of economic freedom.
Hong Kong’s Gini coefficient – a widely used measure of income disparity – increased to 0.533 in 2006 from 0.525 in 2001, the last available figure. It showed that Hong Kong’s working poor were getting poorer or had not broadly benefited from the city’s overall economic recovery.
In 1996, the figure stood at 0.518 on a scale where 0 represents perfect equality and 1 complete inequality. Taiwan, by comparison, had a figure of 0.326 in 2000. China’s figure currently stood at 0.447, economists estimate.
reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSHKG22425220070618

Compare how the residents of Satellite and Neo Domino City live. Unfortunately, the Satellite residents aren’t taking with Marxist rhetoric of a class struggle. I wonder what will happen. Jack Atlus is somewhat interesting, but 5Ds does not appeal to me in the way the original series did. Maybe it might pick up steam in a few more episodes. I hope that it might give us long duels lasting up to 5 episodes just like the original series.
 
I forgot that Ghost Hunt had a Jesuit priest as a main character, and he works with Shibuya Psychic Research as an exorcist. He’s the only character who is respected by all of the other main characters, though they teased him about being the boyfriend of the Shinto temple priestess (he really wasn’t, they just danced together one time for fun). He says he’s a Jesuit priest, but in the show he’s only 19.

The show deals with paranormal phenomena, and the other members of Shibuya Psychic Research include a Buddhist monk who exorcises with mantras and a psychic medium, in addition to the priest who prays and uses holy water to exorcise and the Shinto priestess who is the butt of many of the jokes because she always suggests problems are caused by earth spirits (they never are), her exorcisms are always ineffective, and she really is a priestess just for show. There’s also an onmyoji from China.

The biggest problem I had with the anime was that the ending really sucked.
 
Ah…Anime…

Good times…good times

I used to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon…but they started sucking…

Dragonball Z is an awesome classic that never gets old.

I watch Inuyasha occasionally, and the new Devil May Cry anime is good.

Bleach is awesome…totally cool and funny.

Death Note is one of my favorites. Its like an anime network TV show with all those twists and intelligent plots.

I’ll watch Full MEtal Alchemist occasionally, but I don’t see it on too much

I think that’s about it for me…
 
Speaking of DBZ, I just snagged five of the movies—without a word of English on the covers, only a sticker saying Movie 4, Movie 8 and so on.

I really, really hope the sticker that says Subtitled in English is accurate. 😃
 
Speaking of DBZ, I just snagged five of the movies—without a word of English on the covers, only a sticker saying Movie 4, Movie 8 and so on.

I really, really hope the sticker that says Subtitled in English is accurate. 😃
As long as it says it is…

Though I have one or two DBZ DVD’s

The Japanese cast sounds like a bunch of kids…Goku does not sound manly.

But the subs have…lots of cursing…

In the english uncut version there isn’t cussing…but since this was the Frieza DVD, it showed Krillin getting blown up…its very sad to watch.
 
As long as it says it is…

Though I have one or two DBZ DVD’s

The Japanese cast sounds like a bunch of kids…Goku does not sound manly.

But the subs have…lots of cursing…

In the english uncut version there isn’t cussing…but since this was the Frieza DVD, it showed Krillin getting blown up…its very sad to watch.
I noticed that as well. Is Goku played by a woman?
 
I noticed that as well. Is Goku played by a woman?
Yep (by 野沢 雅子-Masako Nozawa, known for playing many male roles); then again a woman giving voice to a (usually young) male character is common practice in many anime (take Naruto, for example).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top