M
MichaelTDoyle
Guest
Haibane Renmei–very spiritual and beautiful
Just one episode, set at the Vatican…weird stuff. The pope is a little boy (the youngest pope (John XII) was around eighteen when he was elected, although some scholars say that Benedict IX was twelve when he took the chair of Peter) and the nuns wear rather form-fitting habits. Oh yeah, and the priests fight vampires, or something.Has anyone seen Trinity Blood?
It’s also confusing, convoluted, too obsessed with visuals and devoid of character depth. Thumbs down.Akira centers on the demand for the responsible wielding of the evolutionary power of the human mind. It is critical of a technologically advanced, scientifically prolific world devoid of moral channels, a culture where the spiritual and ethical vacuum creates citizens addicted to power, sex, and pharmaceuticals.
Tetsuo, the fallen angel representing mankind’s intellectual hubris, with an iron-man heart. Akira, humanity’s evolutionary potential and promise, embodiment of ocean-wide compassion and diamond-like wisdom.
I’ve seen enough to know I don’t like it. Which is beside the point, but still.I guess you are correct, but I will add that in the Pokemon anime, the writers had hundreds of episodes so Ash can demonstrate his religiousness (if he has any). It is safe to say that Ash is an atheist. So do you watch Pokemon?
All right, now I’m curious. What’s Chestertonian about Trigun?TRIGUN. Unquestionably the best, it features a lot of Christian ideas and, unles I’m very much mistaken, may borrow from GK Chesterton. Eminently quotable, too.
I agree with you on this one.It’s also confusing, convoluted, too obsessed with visuals and devoid of character depth. Thumbs down.
errr…I’m surprised the Avatar, The Last Airbender hasn’t been mentioned. We have gotten hooked on this one. Unfortunately with the writer’s strike they haven’t playing it whole lot this season. We have been going though withdrawel over here.Going to have to start buying the series.
It’s pretty obvious Avatar and Kappa Mikey aren’t Japanese.errr…
Avatar the last airbender, although using some of the styles of anime, is NOT anime. it’s just an attempt by the american companies to imitate anime. however it is not anime.
Well people were referring to it as Anime soIt’s pretty obvious Avatar and Kappa Mikey aren’t Japanese.
Speaking of Avatar: I’ve been observing it from the outside and Katara and Aang and Zuko’s drama doesn’t actually seem that interesting. I’m told I can skip the entire first season and not have missed much when the interesting characters like Azula and Toph come in and Sokka starts to come into his own. Is this true?
I’m not normally one for action anime: the closest I get is Loveless with its magic battles, and that only interests me because it’s pretty and the characters are so very strange (even if it is a shota show - the shotacon aspects are far better done in the manga). Is Avatar still good to watch?
they aren’t anime, I don’t follow it, too stupid to me anyways, though I read summaries to make sure about infoIt’s pretty obvious Avatar and Kappa Mikey aren’t Japanese.
Speaking of Avatar: I’ve been observing it from the outside and Katara and Aang and Zuko’s drama doesn’t actually seem that interesting. I’m told I can skip the entire first season and not have missed much when the interesting characters like Azula and Toph come in and Sokka starts to come into his own. Is this true?
I’m not normally one for action anime: the closest I get is Loveless with its magic battles, and that only interests me because it’s pretty and the characters are so very strange (even if it is a shota show - the shotacon aspects are far better done in the manga). Is Avatar still good to watch?
oh? how about this food for thought?Well people were referring to it as Anime so.
Avatar does start getting good once you get into the second book “Earth”. In this third book, “Fire”, Zuko (Azula’s brother) is the one who has really started to come into his own. The characters have really matured in this third book. So, yes it does get better as the series progresses.
Avatar: The Last Airbender (also known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang in several countries) is an award-winning American animated television series that currently airs on the Nickelodeon television network.
Set in an Asian-influenced world of martial arts and elemental manipulation, the series follows the adventures of the latest of a long line of Avatars, Aang, and his friends in a quest to save the world from the ruthless Fire Nation. The series is shown as a book series, with each episode serving as a “chapter” and each individual season as a “book.”
Avatar: The Last Airbender is co-created/produced by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko at Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, California.
Bold part: names != Japanese, location != JapanAccording to co-creator Bryan Konietzko, the concept of the program was initially conceived in Spring 2002, when he took an old sketch of his—a balding, middle-aged man—and turned the character into a child. Bryan then did a drawing in which the boy was shepherding bison through the sky. At the time, Mike DiMartino was studying a documentary about explorers who were trapped in the South Pole. The various aspects all seemed to gradually come together. The two thought:
Note: I know it isn’t like it, but the same intro through all the seasons is bad.Opening theme Full Opening
^ Nickelodeon != JapaneseOriginal channel Nickelodeon
Original airing February 21, 2005
Anime
Avatar is not considered an anime because of its American origin*; one review has commented that “Avatar blurs the line between anime and (US) domestic cartoons until it becomes irrelevant.”[40]** In addition, Avatar has many features of anime such as having a different color palette from other animated shows.[41]
Avatar creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino confirmed a particular anime influence in a magazine interview:
**Code:The best anime balances great action sequences with humor and emotion, something we try to do on Avatar. **We love all the films of Hayao Miyazaki, especially Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Both movies deal with spirituality and the environment in an entertaining way. Also, there's a lot of great animation."[39]***
According to an interview with the artists involved in creating Avatar, Appa’s design was based on the Catbus in My Neighbor Totoro, due to the peculiar task of creating a mammal with six legs.[42]
**Avatar also draws inspiration from the anime works of Shinichiro Watanabe’s Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, as well as FLCL (Fooly Cooly) of Gainax. ******Other various studios from which inspiration was drawn include Studio 4 °C, Production I.G., and Studio Ghibli.[43] Bryan has commented that some of his most cherished Watanabe fight scenes were the fight between Bebop’s Spike Spiegel and a drug smuggler in “Asteroid Blues,” as well as the duel between Mugen and a blind female Jojutsu-user in the Champloo episode “Elegy of Entrapment (Verse 2).” Avatar director Giancarlo Volpe also claims the staff “were all ordered to buy Fooly Cooly and watch every single episode of it.”[44]
Anime INFLUENCED animation. NOT AN ANIME.Anime-influenced animation
I’m not saying that avatar the last airbender was bad. I’m merely stating that it’s not an anime.Do we really have to nerd rage about “anime” versus “animesque”?
Anyway, Avatar sounds like an epic show. Is it more or less awesome than Bleach? Because I do like the manga of Bleach.
It is less awesome than the manga of Bleach, probably slightly less so than the anime of Bleach (which seems to have been phoned in from beginning to end, from animation to English dub). Shonen Jump anime adaptations, I’ve noticed, are quite uneven, in terms of production quality; Naruto, Steam Detectives, and Black Cat are gorgeous (the last is better than the manga, art and writing-wise), while Bleach, One Piece, and Death Note look awful.Do we really have to nerd rage about “anime” versus “animesque”?
Anyway, Avatar sounds like an epic show. Is it more or less awesome than Bleach? Because I do like the manga of Bleach.
In Japanese it is, though.I’m not saying that avatar the last airbender was bad. I’m merely stating that it’s not an anime.
I figured that this would be a good place to post this. This is more of a free-for-all thread than anything else, but I guess it’s guided by these general questions:
- What are some of your favorite anime?
As I do not generally watch anime (only at times do I watch it), I can’t answer this question.
- Are there any anime that you find conducive to Catholic values?
Basically stereotypes (not present in all anime, of course) which depict foreigners as buffoons that are incapable of Japanese, or if capable, speaks it in a rather odd and goofy manner.
- What annoys you about the portrayal of religion and the Western world in anime?
Not really about anime, but I’d like to share it nonetheless.
- So forth.
And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.