The Apostles Creed...

• Thread starter Thread starter 2ndGen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other Creeds are nice too, so long as they are not in conflict with the Nicean-Constantinopolitan Creed. The Apostles Creed of the west qualifies as one such creedal formula.
Hesychios -

This last statement is a bit vague. The Apostles Creed qualifies as a.) a creed in conflict with the Nicene Creed, or b.) a creed not in conflict with the Nicene Creed?

Please clarify.

Subrosa

Hi Hesychios, and God bless you in your preparations for Holy Pascha -

When I read this, it looks like a you are trying to seperate the church in Rome with any Apostolicity, i.e., “…it cannot actually be Apostolic.”

Am I reading this wrong? Please say that I am and correct my understanding.

And just to be clear - the Apostles did not write it. It developed from the baptismal formula that Christ left us. For that matter, they didn’t write the Nicene Creed either. According to your logic, the Nicene Creed is not Apostolic.

Subrosa
Amen.

The Creeds were actually written to combat several heresies of the times in which they were written. The Nicene Creed was written of course during the Council of Nicea to combat the heresies of those who did not believe that Jesus is God and that he was born to a virgin woman amongst others.
How does one determine “which” Creed is the original Creed of The Christian Church?

🙂

Gen is erecting straw men because he likes to look for ways to put down other Christians and sow discord. That is apparently why he makes such sophomoric arguments.

The fact is that baptismal formulae are the usual basis of the Creeds, which came later. Rather than answer each question as asked, it is possible to just recite all of the answers to the baptismal questions as one all encompassing statement and say “This I believe”.

The Apostles Creed so called is just one of many local variations, all of which derive from Apostolic communities but cannot be shown to have been recited by any Apostles themselves. (There was no other kind, ALL Christian communities either had Apostolic origins or derived from such communities). In this case the formula is from some community in western Europe. It has no other significance.

As mentioned above, the official Creedal statement of the church is the Nicean-Constantinopolitan Creed. It is sacrosanct, inviolable and must not be tampered with, having been composed by the Fathers of the early church gathered in Holy Council for the purpose of trimming away or excluding commonly expressed heretical notions of the day and setting limits beyond which the Faith is not to be expressed.

Other Creeds are nice too, so long as they are not in conflict with the Nicean-Constantinopolitan Creed. The Apostles Creed of the west qualifies as one such creedal formula.
If the 4th Century Church Fathers take precedence over latter religious decisions, then would that make the 1st Century Church Fathers even more authoritative as being “more” original than the 4th Century Church Fathers?

And wouldn’t changing the Creed from the 1st Century Creed be considered “innovating” or “changing” or “tampering” The original Church’s Creed?

Hesychios -

This last statement is a bit vague. The Apostles Creed qualifies as a.) a creed in conflict with the Nicene Creed, or b.) a creed not in conflict with the Nicene Creed?

Please clarify.

Subrosa
It’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Hi Hesychios, and God bless you in your preparations for Holy Pascha -

When I read this, it looks like a you are trying to seperate the church in Rome with any Apostolicity, i.e., “…it cannot actually be Apostolic.”

Am I reading this wrong?
Yes, you are reading that wrong.

Blessings to you as well.

Michael

If the 4th Century Church Fathers take precedence over latter religious decisions, then would that make the 1st Century Church Fathers even more authoritative as being “more” original than the 4th Century Church Fathers?

And wouldn’t changing the Creed from the 1st Century Creed be considered “innovating” or “changing” or “tampering” The original Church’s Creed?
Nameless (and actually, undated) Fathers, taking precedence. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back