No, the church teaches there are 7, only three of them have their names revealed in sacred scripture. St. Uriel is regarded as the fouth because this Angel is mentioned after the other four in many apocraphyl works such as the book of Enoch. He is the one who reveals to Ezra a bunch of visions in the apocryphal book of 2nd Esdras which is found in the appendix of the vulgate. The names of the other three are debated.
I was told that the Catholic Church only accepts Michael, Rapael, and Gabriel as archangels and and have now learned that their are four others. Let me just say things in more simple terms. Here are some posts from another site when I was discussing the issue with a Catholic deacon:
Vigis as you stated, The Catholic Church only recognizes the name of three archangels which are Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. The reason that they only recognize these three angels by name is because those are the only names that scripture tells us. Now other religions will say that there arenames of seven archangels, but they get those names from the books that the Catholic church considers apochriphal and not Sacred Text. Threre are other Protestant churches that only recognize the name of Michael and do not accpet the names of the others. The Catholic Church does not permit proper names of Angels that are not found in the canonical books of the Bible which again from the Catholic perspective is Michael, Gabriel and Raphael.
The coptic church still recognizes Uriel as the name of a 4th archangel. It is commonly believed that there are seven archangels, but the names of four of them are not listed in Scripture according to the Catholic church.
A couple of things here. First I don’t want to mislead you, to my knowledge the Catholic Church really only talks about the three archangels, Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. I do not know if there is a definative teaching from the church on more than those three.
The reason that some come to the conclusion that there are seven is from Revelation 8:2 where it say “And I saw the seven angels who stand before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.” Plus they look at the book of Tobit 12:11 whre Rahael identifies himself and says “I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who stand and enter before the glory of God.” They use the significance of these two book referring to the severn angels and they conclude that they must be archangels as archangels would be the “chief” angels and therefore it would be the “Chief”(arch) angels that stand at the Throne of God.
So are you free to believe that there are 4 more archangels? I do not know of anything that says that there is or that there is not, so I do not see a problem since there is no official doctrine on this as far as I know. What I would caution you on is invoking the names of the others. For you do not know for sure who you would be calling to your side and that could be dangerous. So I would stick to the 3 that we know of for sure.
Anyways since then how can Uriel be regarded as a saint in the Catholic Church when it does not even teach such nor does it teach that Uriel is the name of one of the archangels? Well I hope I have asked my question in an understandable way. God speed.