• Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

The chief of CNN’s editorial board is self distructing:

The full picture?

Posted by Mary Madigan

In October 2002, CNN’s news chief Eason Jordan told Franklin Foer of The New Republic that his network gave “a full picture” of Saddam’s regime." He challenged Foer to find instances of CNN neglecting stories about Saddam’s horrors.

In April 2003, Jordan admitted in a New York Times op-ed that CNN had learned some “awful things” about the Saddam’s regime that they were afraid to print for fear of losing access to live camera feeds.

Jordan, who downplayed the crimes of Saddam’s regime, is now speculating, without any proof, in a very public forum, that members of the American military targeted and murdered a dozen journalists.

According to Rony Abovitz
During one of the discussions about the number of journalists killed in the Iraq War, Eason Jordan asserted that he knew of 12 journalists who had not only been killed by US troops in Iraq, but they had in fact been targeted. He repeated the assertion a few times, which seemed to win favor in parts of the audience (the anti-US crowd) and cause great strain on others.

Due to the nature of the forum, I was able to directly challenge Eason, asking if he had any objective and clear evidence to backup these claims, because if what he said was true, it would make Abu Ghraib look like a walk in the park. David Gergen was also clearly disturbed and shocked by the allegation that the U.S. would target journalists, foreign or U.S. He had always seen the U.S. military as the providers of safety and rescue for all reporters.
Eason seemed to backpedal quickly, but his initial statements were backed by other members of the audience (one in particular who represented a worldwide journalist group). The ensuing debate was (for lack of better words) a real “sh–storm”. What intensified the problem was the fact that the session was a public forum being taped on camera, in front of an international crowd.

Hugh Hewitt has more…

While Jordan’s statement may not cause as much damage as Noam Chomsky’s statement that the U.S. intended to ‘casually starve’ a million Afghans to death in a “silent genocide”, it seems to come from the same impulse. Downplaying the crimes of dictators while exaggerating, or making up ‘facts’ about crimes committed by the United States is passive aggressive form of attack that some seem to find habit-forming.

UPDATE: According to Instapundit, foreign journalists aren’t corroborating Jordan.

Of course, the Guardian has a history of repeating what Jordan says, verbatim, but they’ll believe anything.

As to the question of why established professionals like Eason feel that they have to make stuff up, commenter ZF says:
The common thread, it seems to me, is that these are all 60’s liberal white males having some sort of mid-life crisis which has impelled them to invent a grandiose, exaggerated and heroic version of their past. Maybe we should look at this as a male version of cosmetic surgery?
Sounds about right

michaeltotten.com/archives/000726.html

Okay, we now know that at least one reporter at NBC is in bed with the UN and that the chief of CNN’s ED board is nuts, and Dan Rather shot CBS’s credabilty in the foot, oh the sad state of affairs that we laughing call the MSM here in the USA.:tsktsk: Oh wait, thankfully we still have one reliable source of news, we still have FNN.👍

Linda H.

UPDATE TO THE EASON JORDAN FABLES: :tiphat: www.hughhewitt.com

Rony Abovitz replies to some questions on Eason Jordan’s accusation that the American military targeted journalists.

Rony Abovitz posted the first account of Eason Jordan’s now infamous remarks at Davos. Abovitz responded to some questions I sent him:

HH:Thanks very much for agreeing to reply to some questions. I will post your response in its entirety, along with my questions.

First, how many people were in the room?

RA: My guess is between 250-350, but the WEF records should have an exact count of who actually attended. We all had special badges that were scanned at the door, so the exact number of attendees, as well as exactly who was there, is stored on some WEF computer database.

HH: Can you describe the makeup of the crowd?

RA: At least one U.S. Senator (Dodd), journalists from the major media (Fortune, Wall Street Journal), a number of dignitaries and journalists from Middle Eastern countries, scientists, professors, corporate CEO’s and senior executives…it was a a good mix of the powerful and influential people who essentially run the world.

HH: Was the session videotaped?

RA: I saw a cameraman operating a camera throughout the session filming everything. Unless he was just there going through the motions, it was taped.

HH: Was any announcement made about the availability of tapes or transcripts?

RA: There was no announcement made about this specific session, but in general watered down summaries of each session and bits of webcasts of other sessions floated about the WEF. I am not sure what the WEF is going to do about releasing this particular session in its unedited entirety.

HH: Did Mr. Jordan make his “targeted” remark in response to a comment by Congressman Frank?

RA: I believe that Congressman Frank was dragged into all of this after the fact. Mr. Jordan gave us all a monologue that evolved from his personal experiences in Iraq about this idea of U.S. soldiers targeting U.S. and foreign journalists. I first challenged Mr. Jordan, and then moderator David Gergen (of Harvard’s JFK School of Government) brought Frank in as a member of the U.S. government to respond to claims that shocked all of us. I remember Gergen in particular being flabbergasted and disturbed to a very high degree by Mr. Jordan’s statements. Congressman Frank told the audience that his briefings indicated that all the journalists killed to date in Iraq were due to “collateral damage”. Jordan disagreed, and gave us an example of U.S. soldiers deliberately shelling a hotel in Iraq which was known to all as a haven for journalists covering both sides of the war. Congressman Frank was pretty much a bystander being dragged into all of it.

CONTINUED…

HH: Can you recall the reaction of the audience to the initial Jordan statement concerning “targeting?”

RA: Some members of the audience were shocked and in disbelief. Others supported Mr. Jordan’s statements and seemed visibly impressed that Mr. Jordan had the courage to say such things to a world audience. One thing I will never forget: Arab journalists coming up to Mr. Jordan at the end of the session and praising his sheer bravery for standing up to the U.S. military in such a public way. I will also never forget the absolute look of horror on Professor Gergen’s face, the disbelief that the U.S. military would ever do such things. Gergen went on to describe that in his own experience, the U.S. military were always the “good guys”, rescuing journalists, never deliberately targeting them for death. Gergen also felt obligated to basically halt the debate at some point because the Pentagon and U.S. military were not represented at the session, and therefore no balanced discussion could be had (Congressman Frank is probably not a good proxy for the Pentagon). Another observation: those of us from the U.S. in the crowd were by and large disturbed, but it seemed that those from Europe or the Middle East were in large agreement with Mr. Jordan, as if he was confirming what they already knew and believed. The divide between the U.S. and the rest of the world seemed large. I do want to note that the topic seemed to be an emotional one for Mr. Jordan, and I believe that he has had friends and co-workers who were journalists killed in Iraq. He seemed so moved and passionate about the subject that it only compounded the level of uncertainty and severity about what was being discussed. A number of people in the audience, including Senator Dodd, came up to me and thanked me for directly challenging what was a serious charge against the U.S. military. I wonder why Senator Dodd didn’t take Mr. Jordan on himself right then and there. A lot of us were disturbed by the possibility of Mr. Jordan’s statements being true, and at the same time equally disturbed by the lack of hard data, or any data, to back up what he said.

HH: Will some members of the audience fairly conclude that Mr. Jordan meant that American military forces had targeted for assassination
journalists?

RA: The Arab journalists and WEF members who were in the audience and congratulated Mr. Jordan for his bravery and courage for standing up to the U.S. heard what we all heard, and it was pretty damning. Someone should search the Arab language press (web and print) for their reaction to what was said. If the WEF 2005 videotape of this meeting is ever released for public view, it will not help Mr. Jordan at all. He is much better off if the tape (in classic “1984” style) just disappears. I can only imagine the reaction of a U.S. audience to a broadcast of what he said prior to being challenged, prior to his backtracking, and prior to having time to realize the implications of what he said. To be fair, we are all only humans and in the heat of the moment many people say all sorts of things that they later regret.

The contrast of what he was saying before and after he realized what he was saying was pretty incredible. His media savvy, professional executive brain did kick in, but not soon enough. The content and context of what he said would allow groups with an anti-American bias to take what he said and believe that the American military forces had targeted for assassination journalists. For someone with a pro-U.S. posture, you were left confused and in disbelief. It was easy and even credible to believe (in the WEF setting, post Abu Ghraib Prison scandal) that the U.S. military was capable of doing anything. A good answer to this question can come from someone like Afghan foreign minister, Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, who also shared the stage with Mr. Jordan. I would also encourage you to get responses to this question from a wide spectrum of Arab journalists. Understanding how they understood Mr. Jordan’s message could be helpful. Getting Senator Dodd’s viewpoint, as well as Professor Gergen’s, would also shed some more needed light.

Last comment. This issue is turning into a right vs. left agenda issue, a lynch mob against Eason Jordan issue, and feeding into many different agendas. I hope that any news media (bloggers, print, major, minor) covering this can respect my original intent which was to not leave this kind of allegation hanging in the air, but to carry it through to the point where the truth is known, and known to all sides.

The WEF video would resolve the “what Eason said” component of the story. As to the other components, there must be hundreds of people around the world (soldiers, journalists in Iraq, and friends and family of journalists in Iraq) who can weigh in as to what is actually happening on the ground.

**No wonder Eason Jordan won’t answer any questions. He is hiding out and hoping the video doesn’t surface.

fair.org/press-releases/iraq-journalists.html
Code:
                                   The Pentagon has held up its practice of "embedding" journalists              with military units as proof of a new media-friendly policy. On April              8, however, U.S. military forces launched what appeared to be deliberate              attacks on independent journalists covering the war, killing three              and injuring four others.

In one incident, a U.S. tank fired an explosive shell at the Palestine              Hotel, where most non-embedded international reporters in Baghdad              are based. Two journalists, Taras Protsyuk of the British news agency              Reuters and Jose Cousa of the Spanish network Telecino, were killed;              three other journalists were injured. The tank, which was parked nearby,              appeared to carefully select its target, according to journalists              in the hotel, raising and aiming its gun turret some two minutes before              firing a single shell.

Journalists who witnessed the attack unequivocally rejected Pentagon              claims that the tank had been fired on from the hotel. "I never              heard a single shot coming from any of the area around here, certainly              not from the hotel," David Chater of British Sky TV told Reuters              (4/8/03). Footage shot by French TV recorded quiet in the area immediately              before the attack (London Independent, 4/9/03).

Earlier in the day, the U.S. launched separate but near-simultaneous              attacks on the Baghdad offices of Al Jazeera and Abu Dhabi TV, two              Arabic-language news networks that have been broadcasting graphic              footage of the human cost of the war. Both outlets had informed the              Pentagon of their exact locations, according to a statement from the              Committee to Protect Journalists. As with the hotel attack, Pentagon              officials claimed that U.S. forces had come under fire from the press              offices, charges that were rejected by the targeted reporters.

The airstrike against Al Jazeera killed one of the channel's main              correspondents in Iraq, Tareq Ayoub, and injured another journalist,              prompting Al Jazeera to try to pull its remaining reporters out of              Baghdad for fear of their safety. Personnel at Abu Dhabi              TV escaped injury from an attack with small-arms fire.

Al Jazeera, which the Bush administration has criticized for airing              footage of American POWs, has been attacked several times by U.S.              and British forces during the war in Iraq. A car clearly marked as belonging to Al Jazeera              was shot at by U.S. soldiers on April 7 (Reporters Without Borders).

International journalists and press freedom groups condemned the              U.S. attacks on the press corps in Baghdad. "We can only conclude              that the U.S. Army deliberately and without warning targeted journalists,"              Reporters Without Borders declared (4/8/03). "We believe these              attacks violate the Geneva Conventions," wrote the Committee              to Protect Journalists in a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld              (4/8/03), referring to the protection journalists receive under the              laws of war.

But the Pentagon, while expressing regret over the loss of life,              rejected the idea that its forces did anything wrong, and appeared              to place blame on the press corps for being in Baghdad in the first              place:               "We are saying it is not a safe place; you should not be there."

Al Jazeera has also been targeted prior to the Iraq War. During the              U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, Al Jazeera's Kabul offices were              destroyed by a U.S. missile. In a report by the BBC's Nik Gowing (4/8/02),              Rear Admiral Craig Quigley, the U.S. deputy assistant defense secretary              for public affairs, claimed that the compound was being used by Al              Qaeda-- a charge the news outlet strongly denied-- and that this made              it a "legitimate target." The U.S.'s evidence? Al Jazeera's              use of a satellite uplink and its regular contacts with Taliban officials--              perfectly normal activities for a news outlet.

Quigley also made the improbable claim that the U.S. had not known              the compound was Al Jazeera's office, and asserted that in any case,              such information was "not relevant" to the decision to destroy              it. "

Matt25, which side are you on again???

No,no,no I know you oppose war…but again, which side are you on??

Reuters Claims US Military to Blame for Killing of Reporters
Code:
 Not   Reported in US Media

Dear   friends,

Reuters,   Associate Press (AP), and UPI (United Press International) are the three main   English language newswire services used by almost all major media outlets.   You will often see them credited in newspapers under the headlines of   national and international stories. The global managing editor of Reuters   just recently stated that "the US military is entirely to blame for   the deaths of three of its employees in Iraq." Though the major   Australian newspapers have all reported this huge news, not   surprisingly the US press hasn't touched it. The below article is from   Australia's ABC network (see link below). Please help to build a better world   by spreading this important information.

with   very best wishes,

Fred   Burks for the WantToKnow.info team
abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1247425.htm
Code:
 **US   military blamed for media deaths in Iraq**

The global managing editor of news provider Reuters says   the US military is entirely to blame for the deaths of three of its employees   in Iraq since the start of the war there in March 2003.

"All of them were killed by the American army,"   Reuters chief David Schlesinger told reporters on the sidelines of a   conference in the southern Portuguese resort of Vilamoura, national news   agency Lusa reported.

"There is no understanding on the part of the US   military regarding the exercise of journalism," the agency quoted him as   saying.

"We can't run the risk that journalists will become   targets [in Iraq]. We must learn the lessons from these tragic cases."

Two Reuters photographers and a cameraman are among the   more than 60 war-related deaths of media workers recorded in Iraq.

The most recent death occurred in the Iraqi city of Ramadi   on November 1.

The US military says a cameraman killed there while on   assignment for Reuters died in a gun battle between marines and insurgents.

But the Iraqi man's colleagues and family have said they   believe he was shot by a US sniper.

Another Reuters cameraman, a Ukrainian citizen, was killed   in April 2003 when a US Army tank fired on the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad.

A cameraman from Spain's Telecinco television network was   also killed in the strike, which injured three other reporters.

In October 2003, a Palestinian cameraman for Reuters was   killed near Abu Ghraib prison during a shootout.

The US military has denied direct responsibility for those   deaths as well.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told the conference via   satellite from Washington that those types of incidents were inevitable in a   war.

"Media coverage in places of conflict is always   dangerous," Lusa quoted him as saying.

He put the blame for the two deaths at the Palestine Hotel   on Iraqi troops resisting the US invasion.

He accused the Iraqi troops of using civilian structures   for military purposes, leading to confusion about what is a legitimate   target.

Journalists at the Palestine Hotel, including many working   for US-based organisations, had informed US military authorities that they   were using the hotel as a base.

40.png
jlw:
Matt25, which side are you on again???

No,no,no I know you oppose war…but again, which side are you on??
Christ the King

In the middle of a fight between them and the insurgents, huh??

That camera looks alot like a rocket launcher in the fog of war…

Yes, yes, those americans, they DILIBERATELY kill “journalists”. :rolleyes:

Quite a few of your accounts have been reported, actually.

40.png
Matt25:
Christ the King
With all due respect, and with humble reverence to our Lord…

That’s a dumb and smarmy answer to a serious question. Care to answer it again??

40.png
jlw:
In the middle of a fight between them and the insurgents, huh??

That camera looks alot like a rocket launcher in the fog of war…

Yes, yes, those americans, they DILIBERATELY kill “journalists”.

Quite a few of your accounts have been reported, actually.
Actually, it doesn’t much matter what the camera looks like, if the cameraman is sitting next to a terrorist when a tank shell goes off. They knew the risks doing something dumb like that.

40.png
gilliam:
Actually, it doesn’t much matter what the camera looks like, if the cameraman is sitting next to a terrorist when a tank shell goes off. They knew the risks doing something dumb like that.
What happens when they are not sitting next to a terrorist and still get killed?

40.png
jlw:
With all due respect, and with humble reverence to our Lord…

That’s a dumb and smarmy answer to a serious question. Care to answer it again??
That is the answer. Perhaps you should clarify your question. After all pointing out that journalists have been killed by military forces hardly constitutes new news does it?

My suggestion to you is that you find out why the Church has long considered Manichaeism to be a heresy, dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Manichaeism

40.png
Matt25:
What happens when they are not sitting next to a terrorist and still get killed?
like in a hotel??

Again, I ask, “Whose side are you on??”

There is a WAR going on. Yes, a war you don’t like. I get that.

But in this news “reporting” and the accounts given, by a soldier (who gets fired on daily) and then a reporter (in a war zone they by a 8-2 ratio dislike as well), YOU side with WHO???

And the answer is NOT pro-war vs anti-war. NOPE, uh-uh.

The war is already going on!!

The choice is between terrorists and coalition forces.

SO…again…who do you jump to defend or support FIRST???

40.png
jlw:
like in a hotel??

Again, I ask, “Whose side are you on??”

There is a WAR going on. Yes, a war you don’t like. I get that.

But in this news “reporting” and the accounts given, by a soldier (who gets fired on daily) and then a reporter (in a war zone they by a 8-2 ratio dislike as well), YOU side with WHO???

And the answer is NOT pro-war vs anti-war. NOPE, uh-uh.

The war is already going on!!

The choice is between terrorists and coalition forces.

SO…again…who do you jump to defend or support FIRST???
Which side are journalists on?

40.png
gilliam:
Doesn’t really matter, if they are sitting with a target, they are part of the target.
No kidding. I heard an interview with a French journalist who was embedded with the insurgents. Had she been killed in one of the raids would that have indicated the US service was 'targeting journalists?"

Say would the terrorists that beheaded Daniel Pearle be guilty of the same thing?

Lisa N

Lisa N:
No kidding. I heard an interview with a French journalist who was embedded with the insurgents. Had she been killed in one of the raids would that have indicated the US service was 'targeting journalists?"

Say would the terrorists that beheaded Daniel Pearle be guilty of the same thing?

Lisa N
Completely different situation. The terrorists that beheaded Daniel Pearle specifically targeted him. As did the terrorists who kidnapped the Italian lady journalist today.

Lisa N:

Lisa N
What was the name of this journalist? With whom was she embedded and where?

40.png
Matt25:
What was the name of this journalist? With whom was she embedded and where?
There was at least one in Fallujah:
Unfortunately, it is impossible to roam about the city without protection. The only way we can cover this offensive for now is with the military. I should note that the insurgents offered embed spots to us as well. Only a French photographer took them up on it. He was detained by US forces yesterday as he fled his embed.

captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/003060.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back