The da vinci code - the movie

• Thread starter Thread starter emarc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When the movie “Titanic” came out, I had adult neighbors who thought that the movie was historically correct. That those people were actually on the Titanic.

There will alway s be people who believe what they see in a movie. When you don’t have the education to know better, you get drawn in. The same with the Divinci Code. That mentality of "but I saw it on TV or on a movie, so it must be true, will convice lots of people that it is true. Especially those without a good Christian foundation.

If you lead people astray of God’s path, you will certainly not spend eternity with God.

I knew people who upon seeing Stigmata, believed THAT was what stigmata was, and that the Church was hiding secrets…There are even internet nutters out there who believe the Vatican has an actual TIME MACHINE hidden in its deepest recesses…

Despite the fact that the beginning of Last Temptation of Christ explains the views and opinions are those of the author and director and NOT scripture based, I have argued with nutters who insist that flaming piece of celluloid is theologicaly CORRECT… so despite what people say about Da Vinchi Code being fiction…we are coming to times where People are more and more beng fooled about what the truth is…so, YES…it MUST be dealt with seriously…

Do I detect a small hint of superior arrogance here. In other words I know how to understand a film of fiction but others don’t?

If films are so dangerous, does this explain how many Americans beleive the last war was won by John Wayne, or that NASA is actually Star Trek by another name?

Let me also point out that people on this forum have also attacked Muslims over Salma Rushdies book Satanic Verses. Where’s the difference?

The catholicism I know is bigger than to allow itself to be sidetracked by a film, it’s been around for two thousand years and has withstood many many attacks from all quarters and is still as strong, if not stronger than it has ever been.

All that can be accomplished by this outward show of disaproval and shouting is to draw attention to the very thing you don’t want to draw attention too!!!

Self defeating if you think about it.

40.png
Norwich:
Let me also point out that people on this forum have also attacked Muslims over Salma Rushdies book Satanic Verses. Where’s the difference?
Last time I checked, Dan Brown wasn’t living in hiding in order to escape the order of death hanging over his head.

– Mark L. Chance.

I hope the movie “The Da Vinci Code” is better than ‘National Treasure’.

Kevin Walker:
I hope the movie “The Da Vinci Code” is better than ‘National Treasure’.
I almost enjoyed National Treasure. Nick Cage has a knack for taking even the most ridiculous dialogue and delivering it with panache. My son got a kick out of it, but he’s only eight. He’s not as critical as I am.

I’ll give The Da Vinci Code as pass in the theaters. Tickets are too expensive, and most movies hit DVD awfully quickly nowadays.

– Mark L. Chance.

My two cents for what it is worth:

Don’t bash the book or the movie. Simply tell people you will not involve yourself with a story filled with discrimination, hate and lies. Then let it go.

🙂

40.png
Norwich:
Do I detect a small hint of superior arrogance here. In other words I know how to understand a film of fiction but others don’t?

If films are so dangerous, does this explain how many Americans beleive the last war was won by John Wayne, or that NASA is actually Star Trek by another name?

The catholicism I know is bigger than to allow itself to be sidetracked by a film, it’s been around for two thousand years and has withstood many many attacks from all quarters and is still as strong, if not stronger than it has ever been.

All that can be accomplished by this outward show of disaproval and shouting is to draw attention to the very thing you don’t want to draw attention too!!!

Be very careful! The argument that we should not protest against attacks on the faith because it draws attention to them is exactly what Satan is counting on. If Christians continually give in, roll over and remain silent while vicious, false allegations are made against the faith, then we may have to explain to Jesus why we behaved like Peter did when he denied Him.

40.png
Norwich:

i think you miss the point. if an author wrote a slanderous book about your parents twisting the truth and used blatantly your parents’ names for his characters in his book, would that be okay with you? would you help his book be a best seller? boycotting the book (maybe late now-it sold millions already) or the movie is making a statement by Catholics in particular and by Christians in general. Christians made a statement when Bush got re-elected (we wanted our moral values back) and when The Passion made millions; although both statements were more on the positive tone. boycotting the movie - is making a statement to our hollywood folks - that we demand respect for our faith.

40.png
rjs1:
Be very careful! The argument that we should not protest against attacks on the faith because it draws attention to them is exactly what Satan is counting on. If Christians continually give in, roll over and remain silent while vicious, false allegations are made against the faith, then we may have to explain to Jesus why we behaved like Peter did when he denied Him.
AMEN.

40.png
Norwich:

Christianity only survived in the first centuries because writers exposed and refuted beliefs of popular heresies such as Gnosticism and Marcionism- and a lot the Da Vinci Code is based on that same Gnostic teaching.

BTW, tonight there was a documentary on a major TV station here in the UK called ‘The real Da Vinci Code’. I was very pleased about this because TV is the best way to get a message across in modern culture. The show rightly portrayed the book as nonsense, with interviews from many historians and arcaheologists to back this up.

I bought the book when it first came out and I knew next to nothing about it. Just read the dust cover and it looked interesting. It did not take long to discover it was anti-Catholic and not very well written. Even if it was not anti-Catholic, I would not go see it just because it was not a very good book. Just shows what hype from the media can do for a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back