The dam breaks

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Guest
Interesting news, courtesy of Haider Ajina who translated this headline and article in the May 9 edition of the Arabic newspaper “Alsharq Alawsat”:
“Iraqi Arab Sunnis head towards Army enlisting posts in spite of explosions”

After the Iraqi government confirmed the appointment of a Sunni in the position of defense minister. Iraqi Arab Sunnis started heading for the army enlisting centers to join the new Iraqi Army. This was evident by the long lines and large crowds of young men outside these centers in the largely Sunni area of Baghdad. This is the main reason for the increase in the terrorist activities in and around these centers.

The high unemployment amongst the Sunnis is due to non-participation in the electoral and governmental process. This is due to their religious leaders forbidding them from joining the government and the security forces in the past. This situation has now changed. We witnessed thousands of Iraqi Arab Sunnis coming from different provinces to military enlisting station in Baghdad.

Ahmend Mahmud, age 30, from Aathamiah came to the enlisting office to join the new Iraqi military. “I came because I desire to join in protecting the peace and my country,” he said. Adnan Hussein from Meqdadieh who was in the old Army said; “Since the fall of the old regime I had no employment to feed my kids, thus I decided to join the new military, which pays a decent wage, and I heard a number of (Sunni) religious leaders call for us to join the new army”. Luaai Ahmed from Aathamiah said, “I voluntarily enlisted in the new military because I wanted to and upon advise from my relatives”.The Sunni involvement in the new government and new security forces is a nightmare scenario both for the neo-Baathist insurgents and Al Zarqawi’s jihadis - it means the loss of the only constituency.
chrenkoff.blogspot.com/2005/05/dam-breaks.html
 
Sounds like good news. It’s hard to know all the players with the conflicting scorecards we’ve been given but it looks like the radicals have lost their ace in the hole. It’s still hard to understand why the Arab culture seems to dignify violence. How long before the Sunnis decide to revolt against the government?

Dan Lauffer
 
“… and I heard a number of (Sunni) religious leaders call for us to join the new army”.

If the Sunni religious leaders are calling for their young men to join the new army. The terrorists are indeed in trouble.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top