From my own observations only, I’ve found that the level of comfort with a person of color…I’m white…depends a great deal on the amount of contact/interaction people have had with each other. The more we have exposure to colors, the more comfortable we become with each other.
I grew up in the late 50’s early 60’s in the still segregated south but I also had a best friend that was black. Actually, she was of Italian/Jamaican mix but appeared more black than white. Later, I lived in a city with an almost 50/50 mix of black and white. So, I’ve always been around and interacting with race.
Later again, moved to a state almost entirely white with some Hispanics…who I had never been exposed to before. Of course I noticed the differences but probably because of my previous exposure, quickly became comfortable amongst them as well. But, I noticed my neighbors had a higher discomfort level than I did. They didn’t want to or mean to…it was just a lack of familiarity.
More and more minorities are entering middle class and above which will expose more people and increase comfort levels even more. While I do think we have to be aware of situations where “white privileged” may occur, I think the natural progression will happen without anyone having to always point it out and always bring it to the forefront. That attitude can be self defeating…keeping an us vs them attitude alive longer than needed. Just my thoughts…