The divinity of Mary

  • Thread starter Thread starter catalina343
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catalina343

Guest
I was baptized Catholic, and much of my family is Catholic, but when I was three my mother became a pentacostal, and so I was raised Pentacostal. I have had many disagreements with the Pentacostal church, and up until now have had many with the Catholic church as well. However I am dating a rather devout Catholic. We’ve had a lot of religious discussions, and I’ve done some research and I’m starting to feel much more comfortable with the Catholic faith. However, somthing I’m currently struggling with is the divinity of Mary. I believe Mary was a good woman, and the Bible says she was favored by God, but I have not found anything in the Bible atesting to her divinity. Could you please explain to me the Catholic church’s position on the divinity of Mary. And if you could please try and prove the point to me, especially with scripture, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
 
It is rather simple: Christ has a divine nature. Mary does not. Humans, in general, are not divine.
 
The Church has NEVER taught that Mary is divine. She was conceived the same way as the rest of us, except that she was conceived free from Original Sin.
Also, like the rest of us, she had to be redeemed and saved; but she was saved in advance by a special grace of God; TOTALLY dependant on our Lord`s (still in the future: from the point of view of space and time) redeeming Sacrifice.

Many anti-Catholic individuals and sects throw out the false claim that we worship her. We honour her; but we worship God alone.

There`s a heresy which originated in Dozule, France, where a false mystic claimed that Heaven told her that Mary was conceived the same way that her Son was: ie that she has no biological father. Condemned, of course!

In the First Century AD, in Egypt or wherever, there was a heretic sect which worshipped Mary. Likewise condemned!

The Church celebrates the Feast of our Lady`s parents on the 26th of July. So much for the divinity claim.
 
To back up SunnaB16’s very correct statements, the Church offers to God adoration, the Latin term being “latria”, which is reserved for God alone. The Church offers only one sacrifice–the one Christ himself established, the Eucharist because only God is to receive sacrifices. This fulfills the Law and the Prophets.

Mary is not offered sacrifices. If she were divine the Church would offer her sacrifices, but it doesn’t because she isn’t divine. We do pray to her, offering her praise for what she accomplished in her “yes”, her “fiat” to God that brought us our Redeemer and Savior, but we do not worship her. What we offer her the Church terms “hyperdulia”, which means exalted honor. We offer “dulia” or honor to the other Saints, such as St. Joseph, the Apostles and other Saints of the Church.

Mary can aid us and hear our prayers because she is alive in heaven. She does this through the power of the Holy Spirit as she lives outside of time in eternity. We ask her to purify our intentions of all selfish desires, so our prayers will be pure and in line with God’s will. Mary’s will is perfectly in line with God’s will as it was from the moment she said, “Be it done unto me according your word” in response to the Angel Gabriel announcing God wanted her to be Jesus’ mother.

I hope that helps you. Please feel free to ask all the questions you like. It’s why we’re here. 🙂
 
If I was computer savvy, I would post a link for you. But since I’m not, here’s something that may help you understand our view on Our Lady. Go to YouTube and search “The Truth about Mary in Scripture”. It’s very informative and gives some insight as to why we believe Her role was/is so important.
 
Another echo here. Mary is not divine.

God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. One God, three persons, only they are divine. Only they are God.

Mary is human. Any goodness in her is only there because of God. Any praise we give Mary is only done so because of her relationship to God. Adoration is the recognition of God’s supreme perfection, His dominion over man, and our complete dependence on Him. Any adoration offered is to God alone. If adoration is offered to God through Mary, it is by virtue of her relationship with God. Any veneration, honor or prayer offered to Mary is only done because of her place in relation to God.

Mary is not divine. Mary is not God.

-Tim-
 
another echo here. Mary is not divine.

God the father, god the son, god the holy spirit. One god, three persons, only they are divine. Only they are god.

Mary is human. Any goodness in her is only there because of god. Any praise we give mary is only done so because of her relationship to god. Adoration is the recognition of god’s supreme perfection, his dominion over man, and our complete dependence on him. Any adoration offered is to god alone. If adoration is offered to god through mary, it is by virtue of her relationship with god. Any veneration, honor or prayer offered to mary is only done because of her place in relation to god.

Mary is not divine. Mary is not god.

-tim-
well said!
 
And again… Mary is NOT divine.

The Catholic church does NOT teach this.

We teach that Mary is God’s mother. Jesus is God. Mary is Jesus’ mother. Plain and simple.

Catholics can look to Mary to help them (just as other saints). We can say prayers to Mary. But what we are doing when we say prayers to Mary, is we are asking Mary to pray for us, too. We can talk to Jesus/God/Holy Spirit on our own, too. When we say a prayer to Mary (“pray for us sinners…”) we are also asking HER to talk to Jesus/God/Holy Spirit for us, too. (Kind of like if I was to ask you to say some prayers for me or you ask me to say some prayers for you, or a friend, etc).

Many people (Catholics) love Mary (like I do :)). But, we do not worship her. We love her like she is our Mother. We only worship God.

Once again, Catholics only worship God.
 
To back up SunnaB16’s very correct statements, the Church offers to God adoration, the Latin term being “latria”, which is reserved for God alone. The Church offers only one sacrifice–the one Christ himself established, the Eucharist because only God is to receive sacrifices. This fulfills the Law and the Prophets.

Mary is not offered sacrifices. If she were divine the Church would offer her sacrifices, but it doesn’t because she isn’t divine. We do pray to her, offering her praise for what she accomplished in her “yes”, her “fiat” to God that brought us our Redeemer and Savior, but we do not worship her. What we offer her the Church terms “hyperdulia”, which means exalted honor. We offer “dulia” or honor to the other Saints, such as St. Joseph, the Apostles and other Saints of the Church.

Mary can aid us and hear our prayers because she is alive in heaven. She does this through the power of the Holy Spirit as she lives outside of time in eternity. We ask her to purify our intentions of all selfish desires, so our prayers will be pure and in line with God’s will. Mary’s will is perfectly in line with God’s will as it was from the moment she said, “Be it done unto me according your word” in response to the Angel Gabriel announcing God wanted her to be Jesus’ mother.

I hope that helps you. Please feel free to ask all the questions you like. It’s why we’re here. 🙂
Did your girlfriend tell you that the RCC taught that Mary was divine or did you read that somewhere? I ask because if she really believes that Mary is divine she is committing a serious sin and needs to be told that.
 
This is so sad, and so extraordinary. However do these ideas (in this case, that Mary is divine) get started and believed? Does your boyfirend believe that she is divine, catalna? If so, whoever told him that?
 
If I was computer savvy, I would post a link for you. But since I’m not, here’s something that may help you understand our view on Our Lady. Go to YouTube and search “The Truth about Mary in Scripture”. It’s very informative and gives some insight as to why we believe Her role was/is so important.
Here it is: The truth about Mary in Scripture. I didn’t watch it all, so I don’t know if it directly addresses the OP’s question, but it’s still worth the time to watch it. 🙂
 
Thanks, Della

Something that might be worth mentioning is that the word “worship” comes from “worthship”. In earlier times the word could be used when honouring a (human) person. A particular person would be deserving of worthship/wor`ship. The Masonic “Worshipful Master” would stem from that.
In other words: old Catholic literature may well give the (false) impression that we give Mary, the other saints and the angels the same level of honour that we give God.

Sorry: long winded!
 
Thanks, Della

Something that might be worth mentioning is that the word “worship” comes from “worthship”. In earlier times the word could be used when honouring a (human) person. A particular person would be deserving of worthship/wor`ship. The Masonic “Worshipful Master” would stem from that.
In other words: old Catholic literature may well give the (false) impression that we give Mary, the other saints and the angels the same level of honour that we give God.

Sorry: long winded!
There has been a certain amount of confusion stemming from English translations of the writings of St. Alfonsus Ligouri. In the Italian of his time “worship” and “venerate” were the same word. I’ve seen English translations which have him telling us to worship Mary but, if you read further, you see that he doesn’t mean worship as we use the word.
 
I . I believe Mary was a good woman, and the Bible says she was favored by God, but I have not found anything in the Bible atesting to her divinity. Could you please explain to me the Catholic church’s position on the divinity of Mary..
the Catholic position is that Mary is most definitely not divine, she is fully human, and this must be so because it is from her that Jesus gets his human nature, when he is conceived in her womb through the power of the Holy Spirit. If she were not human then the dogma that Jesus is fully human and fully divine would not be true.

The sections of the catechism of the Catholic Church on Mary and her role in the Incarnation are part I sections 114-145. The sections that discuss Mary and the saints in the context of the communion of saints and her unique role as Mother of God and Mother of the Church are in Part I sections 247-254

the catechism is easily accessible on the web, usccb.org the bishop’s website for one link.
This has been unchanging Christian teaching from the beginning of the Church.
 
I was baptized Catholic, and much of my family is Catholic, but when I was three my mother became a pentacostal, and so I was raised Pentacostal. I have had many disagreements with the Pentacostal church, and up until now have had many with the Catholic church as well. However I am dating a rather devout Catholic. We’ve had a lot of religious discussions, and I’ve done some research and I’m starting to feel much more comfortable with the Catholic faith. However, somthing I’m currently struggling with is the divinity of Mary. I believe Mary was a good woman, and the Bible says she was favored by God, but I have not found anything in the Bible atesting to her divinity. Could you please explain to me the Catholic church’s position on the divinity of Mary. And if you could please try and prove the point to me, especially with scripture, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
:eek: Mary is not remotely considered divine by the Catholic Church. (As other’s have said - but this can’t be stated enough.)

The nice thing about Mary and Catholicism is that, while she is special to our faith, there is NOTHING that says we have to think about her much at all. In fact I had a problem with Mary for years and never had a problem with going to church and praying because, except for a few Holidays, Mary doesn’t have much of a role in the core of the Mass or anything like that.

It wasn’t until I stepped up my prayer life dramatically, that I came to understand the gift that God has given us in Mary. I can’t tell you how she has helped me receive God’s grace on so MANY levels. It is always God’s grace, and I’m sure that if I ever lost sight of that I would stop receiving it.

If Mary is a “stumbling block” in your prayers to God, by all means avoid it until you are ready or called. There is nothing that says we have to ask for her prayers. If the “Hail Mary” is said during Mass, keep in mind that the first part is simply quoting scripture, and simply don’t say it if it bothers you. Do please instead pray for an understanding of it to enter your heart. It IS there to be found.

:signofcross:
Thank you God for allowing your wonderfully human mother to pray for us. Please forgive those who misunderstand her nature and role. Help us all to avoid the traps laid by the Evil One to derail us from our faith. We ask this through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.
:signofcross:
 
I was baptized Catholic, and much of my family is Catholic, but when I was three my mother became a pentacostal, and so I was raised Pentacostal. I have had many disagreements with the Pentacostal church, and up until now have had many with the Catholic church as well. However I am dating a rather devout Catholic. We’ve had a lot of religious discussions, and I’ve done some research and I’m starting to feel much more comfortable with the Catholic faith. However, somthing I’m currently struggling with is the divinity of Mary. I believe Mary was a good woman, and the Bible says she was favored by God, but I have not found anything in the Bible atesting to her divinity. Could you please explain to me the Catholic church’s position on the divinity of Mary. And if you could please try and prove the point to me, especially with scripture, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
I was baptized Catholic, and much of my family is Catholic, but when I was three my mother became a pentacostal, and so I was raised Pentacostal. I have had many disagreements with the Pentacostal church, and up until now have had many with the Catholic church as well. However I am dating a rather devout Catholic. We’ve had a lot of religious discussions, and I’ve done some research and I’m starting to feel much more comfortable with the Catholic faith. However, somthing I’m currently struggling with is the divinity of Mary. I believe Mary was a good woman, and the Bible says she was favored by God, but I have not found anything in the Bible atesting to her divinity. Could you please explain to me the Catholic church’s position on the divinity of Mary. And if you could please try and prove the point to me, especially with scripture, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
catalina,

Fist of all, you will not find that Mary is a divine being in Sacred Scripure and you will not find it as well as in Sacred Tradition or the teachings of the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. These are the three legs of three legged stool that constitute the foundations/truths of the Catholic Faith, If any “leg” is missing the stool will not stand. Jesus never said to the apostles “write the bible.” The canon of scripture was not finalized by the Catholic Church until 394(?) AD. That claim has to have been made by someone who just doesn’t know the facts or has decided that they have a superior knowledge as to what is true. I have been studying the Faith for some 70 years or so and I have never found anything like it what the Catholic Church believes and teaches

To begin with, if Mary were to be divine, then how could Jesus take on his human nature and become the "God-man

Mary was born a human and Jesus took His human nature in a hypostatic union with his divine nature from her.

In Mary’s Magnificat, she responded to Elizabeth’s exclamation, “How is it that the mother of my Lord has come to me?” Mary said with great humility that God had done great things for her, His handmaid. I don’t see that any claim to divinity on her part can be read into it.

Only God is the only uncreated being and we, including Mary, are just created beings and we only are given a share in Gods divinity in that we are created in His image (including Mary). I think that anyone who says Mary became divine just doesn’t understand.

BTW, there are some who claim and believe that Jesus was born just a man but became God which. to my understanding, is simply not credible.

There are many things that are mysteries and the Bible does not address them directly but in a way addresses them indirecty. This is why the CC holds to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the teaching authority of the Magisterium.

St Augustine: “I do not try to understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand.” St Augustine is one of the “33 doctors” of the Catholic Church.

I find that I must defer to greater minds than mine in many areas of the Faith.
 
I think Catalina343 gets the point by now. 😃

But I did remember just now a discussion I had with someone who misunderstood the recognition Catholics give Mary as “Mother of God” and wanted to make sure that Catalina understood that term.

Mary is Jesus’ mother. Jesus is God. Therefor Mary is the Mother of God.

Mary did not exist before God existed but she did exist before God was born. God did not enter the physical world (with the exception of of walking with Adam in the garden) unitl Mary gave birth to God in the form of Jesus. It doesn’t mean that Mary gave birth to God the Father, just that Mary gave birth to God in the flesh, Jesus.

Jesus = God. Mary = Mother of God. It is really very innocent and not as complex as people make it out to be.

I fear that our horrified reaction to Catalina’s question might be seen as beating her up over it. Catholics have a right to be defensive given all the misinformation and outright lies about our faith that are out there. But I think her question was asked out of charity and she does have a wonderful, devout Catholic whom she is dating. I pray that he continues Gods work in her.

-Tim-
 
If Mary is a “stumbling block” in your prayers to God, by all means avoid it until you are ready or called.
In my prayer life, I never went to Mary and avoided her. One day I asked God to reveal Mary to me, asked Jesus to show me his mother and reveal to me why she was so important.

For me, avoiding Mary was a trap of the devil. It wasn’t until I willingly asked God to reveal the importance of Mary to me that things started to happen. The next week an article about consecration to Mary came in a magazine I subscribe to. Things like that started hapening. I remember picking up a random Christian radio station late one night driving through the back-country of South Carolina. The host was explaining about hyperdulia and veneration offered to Mary and how many Protestants not only ignore Mary to their own detriment, but how many could even learn a lesson from Catholics. From a Protestant radio station!

My point is, rather than avoiding Mary, why not invite her in into your spiritual life by way of her son?

Mary, I hardly know you.
If everything the Church says about you is true then I wish to know you more.
Lord Jesus Christ, please reveal your mother to me.
Please teach me about her and introduce her to me.
Amen.


That was my prayer.

-Tim-
 
Thak you all for your answers. It has been very helpful. My boyfriend did not tell me that Mary is divine. I guess it was just amisunderstanding of Catholic beliefs on my own part. A misunderstanding that a lot other Non-Catholics have as well.

One more question: Does the Catholic church believe that Mary sinned? From my understanding (maybe I’m wrong) The church says she did not sin. However, according to Romans 3:23 “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top