The Duggers' 17 children

  • Thread starter Thread starter monicatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monicatholic

Guest
These past 12 or 13 years, our practice at Christmas has been to give each of our children one special gift-- ie rollerblades or something of that size and two smaller gifts-- totalling three gifts-- the same number gifts scripture records Baby Jesus received at his birth.

it wasn’t always this way. years ago, i’d begin Christmas shopping in august and continue purchasing “cute stuff” or things “he’ll love” almost up till Christmas Eve.

those Christmas mornings were disgusting. the kids would tear open one of the dozen boxes designated for them, look briefly at the new toy and grab for the next wrapped package, while tossing the latest gift into the heap along side them on the floor. until the last box was opened, they were grabbing for “what’s next.”

the Duggers just gave birth to their seventeenth child. i’ve read quotes and seen them on TV since the birth of their fourteenth child. the single most disturbing thing about the Duggers is this: at the very moment they are first holding in their arms an astonishing, unique, unrepeatable, eternal gift from God, they are already looking for the next one.

I have given birth to ten live children and lost two. when i am holding my newborn baby in my arms, i have absolutely no thought to who might come next. i want only one thing-- to spend the rest of my life learning who this person is, feeling completely humbled that God has given us this gift of this child.

when people learn we are parents of ten, have homescooled for seventeen years, are actively involved with our church (the general family bio that follows us like a billboard) they often ask, “didja see that family with 16 kids on TV? are you like them?”

no. we are not like them. my children have never been required to dress alike because they are unique people, not part of a set. when they approach their first birthday, we are not actively trying to refill their baby slot. we like them to be the baby for a long time.

they are not expected to all learn violin. my pantry does not look like the new, bright, clean A+P superstore. our home looks like real people live here. even for a TV interview, this place would appear to be as loved as it is.

i don’t think the problem is some perceived overpopulation or that the Duggers have too ***many ***children.

instead i am sad that as the Dugger children emerge into the world, perfectly brand new from God, their parents can’t seem to sit still long enough to deeply relish that particular gift of that particular unique child. instead they seem like my spoiled kids on Christmases of old, insisting, “what’s next?”
 
from another thread. Amaris wrote (I hope you don’t mind my repeating this.)

*Mrs. Duggar keeps the newest baby as her “buddy” until he or she is 6 months old. Then the baby is weaned and handed off to an older child, and the child becomes the baby’s “buddy”, ie parent. They are responsible for feeding, clothing, cleaning, entertaining, comforting, and teaching the younger one.

The breakdown of chores also makes me uncomfortable - the lists have things like an older boy’s chore being to walk the dog, which his younger sister gets to cook dinner for the entire family, and another daughter does all the laundry.*

i didn’t know this but i’m not surprised, really. i just don’t get a strong sense that this family primarilly values the human dignity of each child. i wrote PRIMARILLY. it seems to be a secondary or even tertiary concern. it shouldn’t be.

i had also forgotten to mention the seventeen J names. i think there is a lot wrong with this picture.

someone had written they are living debt free. they should be. he’s a state senator and they’re on TV a lot.
 
I hesitate to judge them…

I just think kids should help out…but not be responsible for raising their siblings. :o If you want to have 17 kids…don’t push them off on the siblings to take care of them.
 
I understood that they dressed alike because it makes laundry sorting easier. If the violin teacher is there to teach one, why not a few more? (I’d be glad to receive a family discount 🙂 .) When the mom said she’d like more, I took it to mean they’re still open to new life. I find that refreshing; I’ve read quotes where the parents are saying, “This is it!” or “No more after this one!”

Maybe the kids will write a book in a few years and we’ll hear what they think. —KCT
 
KTC wrote:
I understood that they dressed alike because it makes laundry sorting easier

there is a lot we could do to make our lives easier raising our ten kids. in the heirarchy of values, laundry ease just doesn’t trump fostering a sense of personal identity.

in the end, i hope the dugger kids don’t have any reason to write exposes about their lives. (i hope ours don’t either.)
 
With only seventeen children, the woman is a piker. The record is, if memory serves, 27 in 17 confinements. She’ll have to work harder at this if she wants the record. The record holder was honored at court by the Czar.

Matthew
 
there is a lot we could do to make our lives easier raising our ten kids. in the heirarchy of values, laundry ease just doesn’t trump fostering a sense of personal identity.
In my mind there are more ways to foster personal identity than just dress. For all we know, ease of laundry could free her up to do other things w/ her kids. —KCT
 
i would hate to think they were trying to break records, nevertheless, because of the numerous appearances and interviews i’ve seen of them, i strongly suspect their motives. it’s their own words, behavior and demeanor that seem off.
 
from another thread. Amaris wrote (I hope you don’t mind my repeating this.)

*Mrs. Duggar keeps the newest baby as her “buddy” until he or she is 6 months old. Then the baby is weaned and handed off to an older child, and the child becomes the baby’s “buddy”, ie parent. They are responsible for feeding, clothing, cleaning, entertaining, comforting, and teaching the younger one. *

The breakdown of chores also makes me uncomfortable - the lists have things like an older boy’s chore being to walk the dog, which his younger sister gets to cook dinner for the entire family, and another daughter does all the laundry.

i didn’t know this but i’m not surprised, really. i just don’t get a strong sense that this family primarilly values the human dignity of each child. i wrote PRIMARILLY. it seems to be a secondary or even tertiary concern. it shouldn’t be.

i had also forgotten to mention the seventeen J names. i think there is a lot wrong with this picture.

someone had written they are living debt free. they should be. he’s a state senator and they’re on TV a lot.
With out going into a lot of detail about why I think this, I am just going to say, that I agree with you…😦 😦
One thing I will say, & this is no secret: The Duggars deliberately wean each baby 😦 as soon as possible, in order to make it more likely that they can get pregnant again sooner…despite the fact that it is far healthier for the babies to have breastmilk for a longer time…
I guess I just feel sorry for those little babies. Brought into this world, so innocent, & handed off to siblings…They need their mama, not another child, taking care of them…
 
I have absolutely no problem with anything this family decides in how to manage their household and raise their children. I am not doing it, the children are happy and healthy, and the parents are welcoming the children God sends them, so anything else is NOMyB.

I think it would be a very good thing if people especially parents (and we could include in-laws and grandparents here) who have very strong opinions about various aspects of child-rearing, if they would apply them to their own families, and don’t offer advice and admonitions to others unless and until they are asked.
 
My grandmother had 12 children and as a sharecroppers’s wife she didn’t have time to fool around. She weaned as soon as possible and yes, my mother had to do a lot of work around the house and practically raised my youngest uncle. Didn’t seem to hurt her. As long as the kids are happy we should all mind our own business.
 
I have absolutely no problem with anything this family decides in how to manage their household and raise their children. I am not doing it, the children are happy and healthy, and the parents are welcoming the children God sends them, so anything else is NOMyB.

I think it would be a very good thing if people especially parents (and we could include in-laws and grandparents here) who have very strong opinions about various aspects of child-rearing, if they would apply them to their own families, and don’t offer advice and admonitions to others unless and until they are asked.
I agree. Do the critical posters here know the family personally? If not, we don’t really know what goes on in their home, so we can’t judge. I’m glad they are so open to life; in this culture of death that we live in, a couple that is willing to have as many children as God gives them is a blessing.
 
i am a critical poster. i mind my own business when it comes to my sisters’ families, son’s family, neighbors’ families and yours. the duggers are on tv. they made theie private business public.

worse still, as a homeschooling family of 10 kids, i am often asked if we are like them. the duggers are NOT our standard. their motives are suspicious.

this is not judgment. it’s discernment.
 
i am a critical poster. i mind my own business when it comes to my sisters’ families, son’s family, neighbors’ families and yours. the duggers are on tv. they made theie private business public.

worse still, as a homeschooling family of 10 kids, i am often asked if we are like them. the duggers are NOT our standard. their motives are suspicious.

this is not judgment. it’s discernment.
Their motives may be suspicious, but it’s not for us to judge them less we turn into modern day Pharisees.
 
monicatholic,

it seems to me, from the nature of your posts on this thread, that this family irks you so badly because people compair your family to them.

I don’t think you should take it so personally that people ask you if you “are like the duggers”. My mom is blind and gets asked if she’s “like ray charles” or “like stevie wonder” all the friggin’ time. “Do you play the piano?” People, as a lot, aren’t very smart. they see something different, ie a blind person or a large home schooling family, and say to themselves, “oh I saw one of those on TV. they must all be like that.”

Also, things on TV (contrary to popular belief) aren’t always what they seem. We don’t know the in’s and outs of that family’s daily life. and just because they are on TV, doesn’t open the choices they’ve made for public discussion. I see that all the time with movie stars on the front of all the gossip rags in the store. it’s none of our business why they do the things they do.

my folks had 8 children and did a million things wrong and our personal lives were a constent discussion in our caffateria catholic neighborhood. “how dare those blind people breed more blind babies.” “just look at all those dirty blind kids running in the mud. can’t their mother take care of them?” “don’t they know what birth controle is?”

your critisize them for all dressing alike. would you cratisize my mom for buying clothes that were pretty much the same color? would you cratasize my family for passing down our clothes for two maybe even three different siblings?

I personally am not crazy about a family beling spot lighted on TV like that, however they at least do a good job of showing some of the good things about having a large family. in our 2.5 kids, a cat, dog and car society, it’s kind of refreshing to hear about someone who wants a bunch of children. even if we don’t like they way they do it. their fertility is none of our business. weather or not she breast feads for the LLL’s reccomended amount of time, is also none of our business.

I wonder what would happen if Mr. or Mrs. dugger decided to check out catholic.com forum and found this discussion of their family from us pro life catholics.

sorry if I sound a little edgy, I don’t mean to be. I’ve been defending “the rights of those who breed too much” since I was like five and I get a little sensative. so I appologize if I said anything uncharitable.
 
I hesitate to judge them…

I just think kids should help out…but not be responsible for raising their siblings. :o If you want to have 17 kids…don’t push them off on the siblings to take care of them.
**
I completely agree w/ you, Sharon!! How can they have a sibling relationship w/ them if they are ‘parenting’ them??
Not to mention, those older kids basically give up their teen years to be a ‘parent to a sibling’. I am all for kids having responsibility however having them take on that large of one is not right in my opinion. 🤷 **
 
In my mind there are more ways to foster personal identity than just dress. For all we know, ease of laundry could free her up to do other things w/ her kids. —KCT
**
but I heard that Mrs. Duggar doesn’t do the laundry, her daughters do it…so therefore it isn’t freeing up extra time for her since she doesn’t do it anyway.🤷 **
 
**but I heard that Mrs. Duggar doesn’t do the laundry, her daughters do it **
“I heard . . .”

We don’t know the whole story. We all know the media shows what they want on TV or in written form; who knows what they left out?

I was raised to believe, “If you can’t say something nice about someone, don’t say anything.” I think speaking well of others is a form of charity. —KCT
 
Wasn’t there a time in our country’s past when families had several children? Didn’t those children help substantially more than our children today do? Didn’t those children wear virtually the same clothes? Aren’t there even communities like this to this day like the Amish?

There are things that I don’t agree with. What I did manage to notice on that show was a large happy family that seemed to genuinely enjoy each other’s company. So some of us breastfeed for two years and think we’re better. Some of us treasure Jr.'s choices to pierce his ears and shave his head and our fostering his “unique” personality makes us better. Some of us grow all our own veggies and milk our own goat which makes us better. Do all the children in all these so-called “better” families get along as well as the Duggar children?
Some do. Many don’t. At least Mr and Mrs Duggar don’t have to worry that we’ll be judging them.

And, what, may I ask, is the suspicious motive?
 
The Duggars are:( members of a cult…Google "Bill Gothard and/or “Gothardite”.

I am all for big families. I think they are great. (Sometimes, you end up like me, with:D 52 first cousins). I just feel sorry for the kids…
I know some sympathizers of this group; they are very scary people…

I feel sorry for the babies, I feel sorry for the older kids, and I feel frightened of what their cult leaders may decide they need to do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top