The Early Church Fathers

  • Thread starter Thread starter lovingmylord
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lovingmylord

Guest
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.

Thanks for any answers.

🤷
 
I’m no expert, but wouldn’t it have started with Peter and James. They settled disputes about circumcision and whether or not gentile converts needed to become Jews.
 
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.

Thanks for any answers.

🤷
I’m not sure if it was specifically mentioned in the Bible. However, there are several places where it talks about the “Tradition” of the church. Also given Apostalic succession and that the 12 were taught directly by Jesus and passed their teachings down through the church to our current day, I think it’s well founded in the bible.

Also, keep in minde the bible didn’t even exist at the time of the Apostles and that the Catholic church is responsible for compiling it. So I think there is no church more qualified and blessed with the knowledge and divine inspiration to choose the correct books whiche were written through the Holy Spirit.
 
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.

Thanks for any answers.

🤷
First. Let us understand that it was churchmen of the One Universal (Greek = katholic) Church who wrote the NT books under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. It was churchemn of that same one church who assembled said books into the canon of Scripture we call the Holy Bible.
So - From the beginning it has been The Church Catholic, by virtue of Christ’s own authority that has taught God’s Truth - even before the NT books were written and before the current set of 27 books was universally recognized.

But to your particular question.
Since the Catholic church assembled teh bible, one could say that looking to Scriptures for proof of the Church’s authority and inerrancy is circular resoning. Never-the-less Holy Scripture has several rather explicit references to the Church’s authority and others that are more implicit.
Explicitly we can look at Mt 16:17-19 and also Mt 18:15-18. In these two places we find the only times the term “church” (Ekklesia) is used in the Gospels. In both of these passages the term is used by Jesus and both times in connection with authority for in both places Jesus grants the authority to “Bind and Loose”…“Whatever”.
Looking even more closely at Mt 18:15-18 we see a set of instructions for dealing with problems within the Church (and please recognize that teaching wrong doctrine is a sin)…In steps one and two, it can be assumed that those involved in discussion would have access to various scriptures etc. So if no resolution comes from private discussions, we are told to “Tell it To The Church” and then to abide by the decision of The Church…
A perfect example of this principle is expounded in Acts 15 where one group in Antioch wanted Mosaic Law imposed, while another group did not. Not even teh great Apostle Paul could settle the matter so it was taken to “The Church”, incouncil in Jerusalem. The matter was settled there - By The Church - after much debate.

St Paul likewise recognizes the authority of Church for while Scriptures contain Truth, it is the Church which is the “pillar and bulwark of Truth”.
St Peter speaks of problems arising from people interpreting things privately and twisting things to their own destruction.

Then there is Christ’s romise to send the Holy Spirit to lead us into all Truth - a single Truth and as a church community - not individually throug private interpretation.
And His further promise to be sith us to the end fo the age.

So, just from these few passages we can see that Christ founded a Church with authority to bind and loose whatever. That we are to listen to said Church and to follow the decisions of the Church. That the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. That matters that cannot be settled quietly should be refered to the Church in council.

I’m sure others will add to this, butI hope this helps you some.

Peace
James
 
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.

Thanks for any answers.

🤷
1 Timothy 3:15

15if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.

There is also the promise of the Holy Spirit, I think in John’s gospel.
 
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.

Thanks for any answers.

🤷
Ok, I don’t get the answer to your question, but this is what I am told when I ask the same question. This quote from the bible was somehow translated into meaning that the Holy Spirit will somehow mystically prevent the Pope and Magiesterium from making errors regarding teachings on faith and morals:
Matthew 16:18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
I have no idea how they came up with that meaning out of that quote from Matthew but there it is. I have no idea how “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” translates to, “the Pope cannot err in matters of faith and morals”. And I have idea how “Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church” translates into being “all Popes have the same authority as Peter always and forever, and he’s the absolute leader of the Church and Christ’s Vicar here on earth”. And therefore, I have no idea how pages of Church teaching about the infallibility of the Pope arises from that passage. Further, I have no idea how the free will of the Popes is somehow eradicated when he teaches on faith and morals, since that’s one thing that God doesn’t interfere wtih. Plus, I have no idea how that helps the Pope find the correct meaning in the Holy Spirits influence, considering he is only human and has the same weaknesses to his own values, beliefs, morals, fears, surroundings. But there it is… hopefully you will understand it better than I do. And maybe I’ll understand it better one day too… 🤷
 
Thanks so much to all of you. Very good explanations and I have read all those passages but needed verification.

Rence, it’s your explanation that I understand the best. How indeed did they come up with their interpretations, and again, it all stems from the authority of the pope, who no one is really sure was meant as a tradition or was it just meant for Peter. Somehow I feel it was meant to be handed down through the ages. I also do not understand the gates of hell will not prevail against it. Against who? The Catholic church itself, or does it possibly mean the entire body of Christ which is all Christians. I feel very blessed that I was born Catholic, in the church founded by the early fathers. This is the one true church of Christ, but as to some of the interpretations, I have to admit I have question marks on some of them. Hopefully it’s true that the holy spirit guiding the magesterium and the Popes in all their decisions and that particular passage was interpreted correctly. I know this all sounds a little confusing, but maybe because it is. However, we are either Catholic or not, so I choose Catholic and will do my best to keep studying and reading while asking the holy spirit to guide me to all truths. Right from the beginning there have been so many divisions, but take note, the one Holy Catholic Church is the only one that I can think of that has never divided and that speaks for itself at the end. I choose to believe, even though a little befuddled at times. Thanks for all your helpful answers. I will keep on praying for guidance.🙂
 
There is also: Luke 10:16
16* “He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”
 
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.
The Infallibility of the Catholic Church Proved from Scripture

The following verses suggest that the Catholic Church is prevented from teaching error in matters of faith and morals by God Himself. I provide questions below each verse to illustrate why it is applicable to our understanding of infallibility.

Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Q: If Jesus promised to build his own church and that Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would this mean that a) Jesus was a liar, b) Jesus did not have the power to protect his own church, or c) Jesus was incompetent as a church builder?

Matthew 28:20
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Q: If the Church fell into doctrinal error at any time during the 1500 years before the Protestant Reformation, would that suggest that Jesus did not remain with the Church “always”?

John 14:15-16
15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—

Q: If the Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would that mean that Jesus did not give the Counselor or that the Counselor simply failed to remain with the Church “forever”?

John 14:18
18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Q: If the Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would that imply that Jesus actually did leave us as “orphans” during all that time?

John 14:26
26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Q: If the Church fell into error despite this promise, would that mean the Holy Spirit failed to teach the Church “all things” or to remind the Church of the things that Jesus had said to the Apostles?

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Q: Could the Holy Spirit fail to guide the Church into all truth - or allow the Church to fall into error - if Jesus promised otherwise?

Now, consider the following three verses:

1 John 4:4
4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 Timothy 3:13
15if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Mark 3:27
27In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can rob his house.

Q: Is Satan stronger than Jesus, is the Church the household of God, and can Satan rob the Church of the deposit of truth by “binding” Jesus in any way?

In light of the above, is it possible for the Church fell into doctrinal error? Taken individually, each of these verses creates a problem for those that assert that the Church “went off the rails” at some point in history. Taken as a whole, they portray Christ’s own involvement in building, nurturing and protecting His Church until the end of time. The Catholic Church remains strong and vibrant – not by her own efforts or innate qualities – but because God Himself is leading and guiding her to ensure that “the gates of hell will not overcome it.”
 
Acts 15:28 says that the conciliar decision of the apostles and church elders (bishops) was also the decision of the Holy Spirit and (from Acts 16:4) that it was to be observed by the people.

Note that this decision of the Holy Spirit came from both the apostles and church elders (bishops) and not the apostles only. This suggests that, even after the death of the apostles, the conciliar decisions of church elders (bishops) would continue to be the decisions of the Holy Spirit, who cannot error.
 
Thanks so much to all of you. Very good explanations and I have read all those passages but needed verification.

Rence, it’s your explanation that I understand the best. How indeed did they come up with their interpretations, and again, it all stems from the authority of the pope, who no one is really sure was meant as a tradition or was it just meant for Peter. Somehow I feel it was meant to be handed down through the ages. I also do not understand the gates of hell will not prevail against it. Against who? The Catholic church itself, or does it possibly mean the entire body of Christ which is all Christians.
No, not “right from the beginning.” In the early days there were groups that diverged from the Church, following and teaching different doctrines about Jesus - groups that were denounced by people like the Apostle John and Bishop Ignatius of Antioch. Communities that retained authentic Christology while separating themselves from the bishops came much later.

But keep in mind what Paul wrote: One Lord, one faith, one Baptism - Christ is not divided, there is One Body. So the divisions are human-created errors - wounds in the Body of Christ but there is still only the One Body. Jesus promised Peter that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church. He wasn’t talking about a world of many “churches.” As you have observed, most of the “churches” of the world are splinters off that one Church - and indeed, although they may not recognize us as Church, we still recognize them. But the guarantee against teaching error was made to the Apostles as a group and to Peter individually -and Jesus also told him he was going to build up his brothers. Those who separate themselves from the bishops step away from that protection.
 
I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.

Thanks for any answers.

🤷
I’ve seen a few responses quoting from the gospels and letters of Paul. The one that we are given in RCIA class (for adults joining the church) is the last verse in the gospel of John.

I’m paraphrasing, but it is something like Many things were taught by Jesus that volumes of books could not contain, but these are the words that are most important.

This indicates that the witnesses to Christ’s teachings spread the word of God including those things not written down to the churches founded in Antioch, Corinth, Jerusalem, etc.

Good Question!👍
 
Ok, I don’t get the answer to your question, but this is what I am told when I ask the same question. This quote from the bible was somehow translated into meaning that the Holy Spirit will somehow mystically prevent the Pope and Magiesterium from making errors regarding teachings on faith and morals:

I have no idea how they came up with that meaning out of that quote from Matthew but there it is. I have no idea how “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” translates to, “the Pope cannot err in matters of faith and morals”. And I have idea how “Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church” translates into being “all Popes have the same authority as Peter always and forever, and he’s the absolute leader of the Church and Christ’s Vicar here on earth”. And therefore, I have no idea how pages of Church teaching about the infallibility of the Pope arises from that passage. Further, I have no idea how the free will of the Popes is somehow eradicated when he teaches on faith and morals, since that’s one thing that God doesn’t interfere wtih. Plus, I have no idea how that helps the Pope find the correct meaning in the Holy Spirits influence, considering he is only human and has the same weaknesses to his own values, beliefs, morals, fears, surroundings. But there it is… hopefully you will understand it better than I do. And maybe I’ll understand it better one day too… 🤷
If you dont like it, there’s the door pal. Take your whinny, bitchy attitude with you. Theres plenty of protestant churches for you to go to and you can complain to them. Im sure youll fit in well there.
 
If you dont like it, there’s the door pal. Take your whinny, bitchy attitude with you. Theres plenty of protestant churches for you to go to and you can complain to them. Im sure youll fit in well there.
:o

Ouch! That stings me, too. We will not win hearts with barbed wire.
 
=lovingmylord;7648291]I’d like to know where in scripture does it indicate that the Catholic Church would teach without error the truths of the bible. Where exactly did this come from.
Thanks for any answers.
Before replying to your question it would be good to understand in translating the Bible No one verse / passage can contradict anothr. Were this a possibility; the entire Bible would be worthless for teaching and learning.

There is no single verse that makes the specic statement as you phrase it; however it’s truth is verifiable by the folowing passages:

Mt. 16: 19 [Jesus Speaking to Simon Peter:] “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

2nd. Tim. 3: 16-17 " [16] “***All scripture is inspired by God ***and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

John 14:16-17 16] And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you." [Again Jesus speaking to the Apostles]

John 17:15-19 "I [Jesus] do not pray that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil one. [The Prayer of Jesus has to be true and fulfilled as too is God] ***Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth. *** "As thou didst send me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. ***And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth. *** [Eph.2:19-20; Eph. 4:4-8; 1st. Cor. 11:23-29]
  1. Jesus specificaly gives the “keys” [all of them] to Peter [Peter is synomous with the CC] and Sucessors; to all access to heaven. One of these keys by absolute necessity is correct interpetation of the Bible.
  2. God Himself affirms the TRUTH of the Bible as taught by His CC.
  3. God makes it known to all; that The Holy Spirit will always "forever] lead; guide; protect and insure Her [the CC] Teachings on ALL MATTERS relating to Faith and Morals. [The TWO catagories of “salvation teaching” in the Bible]
  4. Jesus Himself further assures this very truth PERSONALLY pledging HIMSELF- In Person to act as surety for these truths.
NO OTHER CHURCH, FAITH, RELIGION CAN MAKE THIS CLAIM! [John 17:15-19].
  1. All of this is supported by logic. God could make a mistake being a “perfect God.” He gave to Peter [the CC] a mission that required in an absolute sense; certainty of Her Teachings on Faith and Morals for ALL-TIME.
Mt. 28: 19-20 “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; **and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” **

So in taking all of these passages with a single message: The Teachings of the CC on ALL matters of Faith and Morals must; in an absolute sense be true; because God Himself says so and makes it a reality.

God Bless,
Pat
 
:o

Ouch! That stings me, too. We will not win hearts with barbed wire.
Neither win hearts, nor bring understanding. I still have the same questions 🤷

But you need a tougher hide :hug1: Cafe Catholics come in both the liberal and conservative types. Don’t let it bother you, neither are representative of the Church 🙂
 
The Infallibility of the Catholic Church Proved from Scripture -The following verses suggest that the Catholic Church is prevented from teaching error in matters of faith and morals by God Himself. I provide questions below each verse to illustrate why it is applicable to our understanding of infallibility.

Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

If Jesus promised to build his own church and that Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would this mean that a) Jesus was a liar, b) Jesus did not have the power to protect his own church, or c) Jesus was incompetent as a church builder?
I truly don’t understand how “and on this rock I will build my Church” translates into meaning that all the popes throughout the ages have infallibility or that they are Christ’s vicar here on earth. I understand it to mean that Peter would lead the disciples in the growth and development of the early Church. And I don’t get how “and the gates of Hades will not overcome it” translates into the Church not falling into errors in faith and morals, or ever making mistakes. To me, that means that it will never be destroyed.

Surely there would be other texts (perhaps in the Vatican library) where these meanings came from.
Matthew 28:20 And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Q:If the Church fell into doctrinal error at any time during the 1500 years before the Protestant Reformation, would that suggest that Jesus did not remain with the Church “always”?
Through thick and thin, through good times and bad, God is always with us. So why would it be prove that God abandoned us if his followers made mistakes?
John 14:15-16 If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—

Q: If the Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would that mean that Jesus did not give the Counselor or that the Counselor simply failed to remain with the Church “forever”?
In the Douay-Rheims, John 14:15-16 reads:
[15] If you love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever.

And the footnote says this:" “Paraclete”… That is, a comforter: or also an advocate; inasmuch as by inspiring prayer, he prays, as it were, in us, and pleads for us. "

That means that someone would be advocating…but how does that mean that no one will have any misunderstandings, or make any mistakes, with regards to Church teachings?
John 14:18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Q: If the Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would that imply that Jesus actually did leave us as “orphans” during all that time?
No…because where two are gathered in his name, He is there. I believe he was speaking of the community he established. I don’t see how it reflects on the teachings of the Church though…
John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Q: If the Church fell into error despite this promise, would that mean the Holy Spirit failed to teach the Church “all things” or to remind the Church of the things that Jesus had said to the Apostles?
I say, no. Rather, to me, it would mean that humans, being mere humans, made a mistake in their interpretation of the message of the Holy Spirit.
John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Q: Could the Holy Spirit fail to guide the Church into all truth - or allow the Church to fall into error - if Jesus promised otherwise?
But Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would teach the truth and guide the Church…it doesn’t say anything about mere humans not being able to understand incorrectly?
Now, consider the following three verses:

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

[1 Timothy 3:13 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Mark 3:27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can rob his house.

Q: Is Satan stronger than Jesus, is the Church the household of God, and can Satan rob the Church of the deposit of truth by “binding” Jesus in any way?[/COLOR]

Ok, I admit, I don’t get those verses and how they apply to Church teachings and the infallibility of the Magisterium or Pope. And I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, I know Satan isn’t stronger than Jesus…that’s a no-brainer. For me, human errors are not a reflection on Jesus. They are a reflection on human weakness. I don’t see any indication that Church leaders are granted any ‘superhuman’ powers to overcome their human shortcomings. I only see Jesus’ promise to be there when we need him, to guide us on our journey and to provide answers to our questions. Forgive me but that doesn’t mean, to me, that we as humans will always understand those answers correctly. And when we don’t…I can’t see how that means that Jesus broke His promise. That, I believe, is impossible.

Maybe I’ll come across something that will help me understand better. But for now, I just don’t get it. 🤷
 
No, not “right from the beginning.” In the early days there were groups that diverged from the Church, following and teaching different doctrines about Jesus - groups that were denounced by people like the Apostle John and Bishop Ignatius of Antioch. Communities that retained authentic Christology while separating themselves from the bishops came much later.

But keep in mind what Paul wrote: One Lord, one faith, one Baptism - Christ is not divided, there is One Body. So the divisions are human-created errors - wounds in the Body of Christ but there is still only the One Body. Jesus promised Peter that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church. He wasn’t talking about a world of many “churches.” As you have observed, most of the “churches” of the world are splinters off that one Church - and indeed, although they may not recognize us as Church, we still recognize them. But the guarantee against teaching error was made to the Apostles as a group and to Peter individually -and Jesus also told him he was going to build up his brothers. Those who separate themselves from the bishops step away from that protection.
Yes I have read the history of the Catholic Church is this is all true. The splintering started right from the beginning. I also agree that the one holy Catholic Church is “The Church”, while all the others broke away to do their ‘own thing’ whatever that was. They accuse us of changing doctrines, but it was they that changed doctines and removed the sacraments besides. That I cannot comprehend one bit. While it’s okay to ask questions as to where this or that came from, to walk away from the original church and start changing things around is beyond me. Thanks for your helpful answer.🙂
 
I’ve seen a few responses quoting from the gospels and letters of Paul. The one that we are given in RCIA class (for adults joining the church) is the last verse in the gospel of John.

I’m paraphrasing, but it is something like Many things were taught by Jesus that volumes of books could not contain, but these are the words that are most important.

This indicates that the witnesses to Christ’s teachings spread the word of God including those things not written down to the churches founded in Antioch, Corinth, Jerusalem, etc.

Good Question!👍
I absoluely believe this and it’s what I’ve also read in the Catechism and in church history. I’m just doing a personal study of where certain doctrines originated and I’m getting some very good encouragement here. Thanks for your help. God bless.
 
The Infallibility of the Catholic Church Proved from Scripture

The following verses suggest that the Catholic Church is prevented from teaching error in matters of faith and morals by God Himself. I provide questions below each verse to illustrate why it is applicable to our understanding of infallibility.

Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Q: If Jesus promised to build his own church and that Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would this mean that a) Jesus was a liar, b) Jesus did not have the power to protect his own church, or c) Jesus was incompetent as a church builder?

Matthew 28:20
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Q: If the Church fell into doctrinal error at any time during the 1500 years before the Protestant Reformation, would that suggest that Jesus did not remain with the Church “always”?

John 14:15-16
15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—

Q: If the Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would that mean that Jesus did not give the Counselor or that the Counselor simply failed to remain with the Church “forever”?

John 14:18
18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Q: If the Church ever fell into doctrinal error, would that imply that Jesus actually did leave us as “orphans” during all that time?

John 14:26
26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Q: If the Church fell into error despite this promise, would that mean the Holy Spirit failed to teach the Church “all things” or to remind the Church of the things that Jesus had said to the Apostles?

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Q: Could the Holy Spirit fail to guide the Church into all truth - or allow the Church to fall into error - if Jesus promised otherwise?

Now, consider the following three verses:

1 John 4:4
4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 Timothy 3:13
15if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Mark 3:27
27In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can rob his house.

Q: Is Satan stronger than Jesus, is the Church the household of God, and can Satan rob the Church of the deposit of truth by “binding” Jesus in any way?

In light of the above, is it possible for the Church fell into doctrinal error? Taken individually, each of these verses creates a problem for those that assert that the Church “went off the rails” at some point in history. Taken as a whole, they portray Christ’s own involvement in building, nurturing and protecting His Church until the end of time. The Catholic Church remains strong and vibrant – not by her own efforts or innate qualities – but because God Himself is leading and guiding her to ensure that “the gates of hell will not overcome it.”
Very well stated and wonderful scripture backup. This reaffirms my commitment to be Catholic for all the days of my life. I don’t know why so many can’t understand all this. Why did so many feel it was right to follow this holy monk in the 1500;s who said there was corruption, so let’s go away and start our own church. If this happened today, and our church was totally corrupted, I wouldn’t even know how to worship in another way aside from the Catholic way. I’m sure we’d somehow have to form small invidiual Catholic churches. But the truth is this cannot happen because Christ himself said the gates of hell will not prevail against it, so we shall be alive and active until the end of time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top