J
JRKH
Guest
If I may jump in here for a bit…I’d like to address the bolded section above and perhaps give you something to consider in this regard.I truly don’t understand how “and on this rock I will build my Church” translates into meaning that all the popes throughout the ages have infallibility or that they are Christ’s vicar here on earth. I understand it to mean that Peter would lead the disciples in the growth and development of the early Church. And I don’t get how “and the gates of Hades will not overcome it” translates into the Church not falling into errors in faith and morals, or ever making mistakes. To me, that means that it will never be destroyed.
Surely there would be other texts (perhaps in the Vatican library) where these meanings came from.
Through thick and thin, through good times and bad, God is always with us. So why would it be prove that God abandoned us if his followers made mistakes?
In the Douay-Rheims, John 14:15-16 reads:
[15] If you love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever.
And the footnote says this:" “Paraclete”… That is, a comforter: or also an advocate; inasmuch as by inspiring prayer, he prays, as it were, in us, and pleads for us. "
That means that someone would be advocating…but how does that mean that no one will have any misunderstandings, or make any mistakes, with regards to Church teachings?
No…because where two are gathered in his name, He is there. I believe he was speaking of the community he established. I don’t see how it reflects on the teachings of the Church though…
I say, no. Rather, to me, it would mean that humans, being mere humans, made a mistake in their interpretation of the message of the Holy Spirit.
But Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would teach the truth and guide the Church…it doesn’t say anything about mere humans not being able to understand incorrectly?
Ok, I admit, I don’t get those verses and how they apply to Church teachings and the infallibility of the Magisterium or Pope. And I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, I know Satan isn’t stronger than Jesus…that’s a no-brainer. For me, human errors are not a reflection on Jesus. They are a reflection on human weakness. **I don’t see any indication that Church leaders are granted any ‘superhuman’ powers to overcome their human shortcomings. I only see Jesus’ promise to be there when we need him, to guide us on our journey and to provide answers to our questions. Forgive me but that doesn’t mean, to me, that we as humans will always understand those answers correctly. And when we don’t…I can’t see how that means that Jesus broke His promise. That, I believe, is impossible. **
Maybe I’ll come across something that will help me understand better. But for now, I just don’t get it.![]()
As is being pointed out, God founded a Church and promised to guide same…But what is The Church? Church, or Ekklesia in greek, is a community. A community called out for some purpose (according to Strongs concordance). In our case we are called out by God to be a Holy people and to seek the Kingdom of God and glory to Him.
Does this automatically make all the individuals in said Church perfect? Of curse not. Does that mean that everyone will see everything in exactly the same way? Nope…
But this is where the great wisdom lies in Jesus’ founding, of a protected Church. Look at Mt 18:15-18 where Jesus says to “tell it to the Church” and to “listen to the church”. By bringing issues, sins, disagreements etc, prayerfully before the community (or trusted representatives of same), discussing and debating said issues in Charity and with the desire to discern the Will of God, the Church gains the advantage of many voices and many viewpoints. It is much easier for an individual to err than it is for the Church as a group.
Acts 15 gives an example of this. There arose a difference of view between Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians. Each side was so convinced of the rightness of their position that not even St Paul himslef could find a way through it. So the matter was taken to “The Church”, in council at Jerusalem and only after much debate was a decision reached on the matter.
So - in short, my dear friend, no one is saying that individuals cannot err. But the Church, the Ekklesia, by placing God first, by taking council with each other, by seeking Gods will in charity, and by imploring the promised protection of the Holy Spirit, cannot Err in matters of faith and morals.
I hope this helps some
Peace
James