"The end justifies the means"

• Thread starter Thread starter JamesATyler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Freddy:
No, we can still agree that something.is immoral yet can be the best course of action.
So here is an example where there is a failure to agree the meaning of morality, or at the very least to demote it in a manner that strips away the real meaning. What is that “recognized code” (you mentioned) about, if not a guide to “the right thing to do”?
Then you have to agree with me in that lying to save the family in tbe basement is a good thing to do. And lying is not necessarily a bad thing.

So is it, in that example, a good or a bad thing?

It obviously can. Would it make you happy that the family in the basement survives? Naturally. So you lie to save them.

I see no problem there.
It would not really be a lie if you used mental reservation.

Back to the most asked question on lying. Its WWII and you have Jews hiding in your house. Would it be a lie and immoral if a nazi comes to your door and asks if there are any Jews in your house. If you answer out loud “there are no Jews here” and then finish the sentence silently in your head “that you should know about”.
I would contend that it is not a lie.

I do not think so either. Again, I understand your position just fine. I think the burden is on you to get a grasp on what sense virtue ethics and natural law make. I offered the order of inquiry. Thomas follows that order for a reason (and Aristotle presumes it in the Ethics).

“there are no Jews here” and then finish the sentence silently in your head “that you should know about”.
This is a description of a narrow mental reservation. Broad mental reservations are distinct. So… not quite a solution. Unless you can describe the same spoken words as a broad mental reservation, which could be possible.

Then you have to agree with me in that lying to save the family in tbe basement is a good thing to do.
I think what you mean is that the Foreseeable consequences (well, hoped for consequences) of the act of lying are better than the (feared) consequences of providing a truthful answer!

I do not think so either. Again, I understand your position just fine. I think the burden is on you to get a grasp on what sense virtue ethics and natural law make. I offered the order of inquiry. Thomas follows that order for a reason (and Aristotle presumes it in the Ethics).
There are many meta-ethical systems, Why do think that virtue ethics - where “virtue” is subjectively defined and there is no such thing as natural moral law should be followed as the basis for all moral problems?

Why is virtue ethics “better” than the divine command theory, or the consequentialist / utilitarian approach, or teleological or deontology? These are all subject to personal preference. And the reason is that there is no epistemological method to “measure” the different ethical systems.

And on what grounds do you think that your concept of happiness is applicable to all humans. If you derive happiness by discussing God, his attributes and creation, then you are under the obligation to provide evidence for your starting point.

“The end justifies the means.”

Doesn’t this imply their [sic] is an definitive “end”?
Not necessarily. The moral act always engages both reason and will. So the “end” is more correctly called the proximate (not chronological but moral) “end(s) in view” of any knowing and willing actor.

The intent of a particular actor may be identical with the end or one of the ends in view but not necessarily so. In your example, the actor who is dishonest may have as an intention the election of his candidate but that actor’s final end does not justify the proximate end of his act, i.e., deceiving another.

A concrete example:

Act: Stuff the ballot box with fraudulent ballots.
  1. Object (proximate moral end in view): Deceive ballot counters.
  2. Intent (final intent): Elect my candidate.
  3. Circumstances: Any.
The act is immoral in its object and cannot be justified.

Last edited:
Look. If you want a serious conversation, stop poisoning the well. Okay? Can you at least do that? I don’t believe “virtue” is “subjectively defined,” or fits into a system of “natural law” that doesn’t exist. And can you at least admit that there is POSSIBLY something you are missing? There is just no point in trying to explain any of it if you can’t give at least that much. And I think I have already laid out the basics, and pointed to the deeper explanation (in the Prima Secundae - and on through the Secunda Secundae). It certainly rests on belief in God, so. That’s the real issue. I’m happy to talk about virtue, but it’s also kind of a waste if you think the foundational principle is altogether incoherent. Maybe I can get you to see where teleology is coming from but… it’s not going to convince you of anything without accepting that there is indeed a rational first cause of all other things.

Last edited:
Look. If you want a serious conversation, stop poisoning the well.
I am not “poisoning the well”. I am looking for a common platform we both accept, and then we can conduct a conversation. It is a fact that there are many ethical systems. It is also a fact that there is no epistemological method to find out if one is better than the other. Therefore it is a fact that selecting an ethical system is subjective.

That makes the selection of one specific ethical system (virtue ethics in your case, and consequentialist / utilitarian in my case) subjective.
It’s not going to convince you of anything without accepting that there is indeed a rational first cause of all other things.
And I reject that. So we can simply agree to disagree. But I am not stubborn. If you can provide actual, physical evidence for the Christian God as the first cause, then I will accept it. Or even some evidence (not necessarily physical) for a faceless, deistic creator (who has no specific attributes) we can use it as the foundation of a conversation.

So the good Samaritan can be used as an example.
Well, yes… and no. To be fair, the moniker “good Samaritan” never occurs in the text itself, AFAIK. It was inserted later as a section heading that was never part of the Scriptural text. So, we want to question what it means, in the non-inerrant context in which it was inserted. (It would seem that a more appropriate informal title might be “the merciful Samaritan” or “the good-neighborly Samaritan”!)

So, I don’t think it’s appropriate or helpful in this context to use the Samaritan as the example of “goodness” pure and simple. Even if it were, it would only be an analogous usage (in the Thomistic univocal / equivocal / analogical sense).
Would he have been classed as ‘good’ if he hadn’t helped the traveller because a delay in his journey would have caused much greater suffering? Could his refusal to help simply by inaction be classed as being for the greater good?
Notice that this isn’t the point of the parable. The other two were too busy to bother, or not even willing to notice that he was still alive and needed help. That’s not really the context here, right?
And if ‘our understanding of what’s going on must be in the context of the time and place, and not merely from our 21st-century western perspective’ then that is exactly a definition of relative thinking.
Not what I’m trying to get at. We could debate what actually happened – whether God commanded it in a literal way, or whether it was merely their understanding that this was the will of God, and whether they actually did it or not – but the only point I’m trying to make is that, when we evaluate the moral standing of the people who committed the acts, we must understand them in their time and place. The acts are just as objectively wrong then as now; but if we’re evaluating culpability (which is what the whole question is, no?), then we have to understand them in their situation. We have to know the object of the act and the intent of the actor in order to understand the moral content, and we must evaluate the circumstances in order to determine how they intensify the moral content. That’s far from “relative thinking”, which would provide distinct decisions to identical situations.
And stand alone biblical quotes are always ignored by me.
I thought he was quoting the catechism? That’s a horse of a different color, no?

It is also a fact that there is no epistemological method to find out if one is better than the other.
Okay. Why don’t you give me, as you say it, physical evidence that this is the case? What other kind of evidence would you even accept? (As for the existence of God, it’s “right there”: cause, effect, it cannot recede infinitely or else there is either no knowledge to be obtained about anything, so there is a First Cause, which we name God. Is this “not physical enough,” or what?)

You never got back to me about Quine. That is not a small problem for your worldview as you’ve laid it out… And the cracks are right there in this post. You say it is a fact that it is impossible to determine which ethical system is “better” than the other. Why?

Last edited:
All of the sources, the object, the intent, and the circumstances must be moral for the act to be moral.
Not so. Torture is immoral as the object and yet because of the intent and circumstances of the Inquisition, torture was approved.

All of the sources, the object, the intent, and the circumstances must be moral for the act to be moral.
Your reasoning is fallacious. Although the object, torture itself is morally wrong, the intent and circumstances can make the whole act to be moral. This is an ethical point, not a historical one.
Do you read history backwards?
Irrelevant to the ethical principles involved. Why not admit your reasoning is wrong instead of arguing backwards or going backwards? Going backwards, forwards, or sideways, left or right or at an angle is irrelevant to the fact that your reasoning does not add up when you consider the question of torture as an object and the attendant circumstances and intent which can make this acceptable.

Last edited:
Okay. Why don’t you give me, as you say it, physical evidence that this is the case?
Only metaphysical propositions need to be substantiated.

Epistemological propositions have no true/false attributes. They either work, or don’t work.

Also ethical propositions are either useful, or not.

Finally aesthetical propositions are fully subjective.

Since you are so proud of your philosophical prowess, I am surprised that you are unaware of this.
As for the existence of God, it’s “right there”: cause, effect, it cannot recede infinitely or else there is either no knowledge to be obtained about anything, so there is a First Cause, which we name God. Is this “not physical enough,” or what?
You confuse the God of the Philosophers with the Biblical God of Christianity. They have nothing to do with each other.

From the existence of causal chains (which we observe) it does not follow that there is only one causal chain, therefore there could be several “first causes”. As a matter of fact, if we have free will (which is a plausible assumption) then we create new causal chains every time we make a free decision - and that does not elevate us to the status of God.

And from the existence of causal chains it does not follow that the beginning needs to be created. The view that it simply exists as a brute fact is an equally valid approach. After all in your view God simply exists, has no antecedent, no creator - so God IS a brute fact. Also from the hypothetical “first cause” it does not follow that it needs to have consciousness and volition, it could be just a deistic force of nature.

There are two problems with your approach. You cannot substantiate the existence of brute fact “first cause” and you definitely cannot establish that is hypothetical “first cause” equals the feature-rich Christian God - whom by the way is not really feature rich, being absolutely simple.

Aquinas simply concludes: “And that is what we call God”. I have never seen a less convincing conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back