Z
zerocrossing
Guest
I’m not EO. I’m RC. I was EO a long time ago, which is why I know something about them. I’m simply explaining WHAT their position is. You don’t need to shoot the messenger.If what you say is true, that the alleged heresy of filioque is what disqualified the Pope of Rome from his position of authority, then you need to explain how that can still be the case with the Greek Orthodox since the Patriarch of Constantinople lifted the excommunication of Rome with regard to the filioque.
However, I will address your question. But please understand that I’m merely explaining their position… not asking you to accept it.
First, the Patriarch of Constantinople does not speak for the entire EO world. Whatever agreement he made with the Pope is not binding on any other patriarchate. And in fact, I don’t know a single GREEK Orthodox person (much less any other EO) who does not disavow lifting excommunication WRT the RC Church over the filioque. The patriarch does not have the power to force the Orthodox faithful to accept any position that Orthodoxy has historically considered heterodox (or heretical). (Eg.: the near-universal anathema of the EO people against Florence in the immediate aftermath of the event). Orthodoxy is not a top-down form of Christianity. And the Patriarch of Constantinople is not their Pope. The notion that he holds some papal type of power in the East is a frequent RC misconception. But it IS a misconception.
As for the effects of lifting the excommunication… NOBODY in the EO world, so far as I know, actually practices allowing RCs to receive EO sacraments (except marriage - with the stipulation that the children be raised EO). It’s an entirely one-way street. They will not receive communion in an RC church. They will not allow us to receive communion in an EO church. They do not believe we have valid sacraments. We believe they do. The more extreme Orthodox - like ROCOR - do not believe that even our baptism is valid.
In addition, EOs regard the Council of Florence as a travesty. They believe that their bishops were, essentially, held captive by duplicitous Rome (again, don’t shoot the messenger) and then starved until they were forced against their will into agreeing to the filioque.
I’m not making this up. You should have heard my Greek godmother talk about it! They really do talk about the Council of Florence as the moral equivalent of kidnapping and torture. And their cultural memory of it is as vivid as if it happened yesterday. To us, it’s a distant, almost academic event. To many of them, it’s almost a recent trauma that they’re still re-living. I’m not stating that their cultural memory is an accurate account of what happened at Florence. I’m simply stating WHAT their cultural memory of Florence is.
So you would do well not to quote the Council of Florence at EOs. It reveals to them that you have little understanding of their history or their perspective of what occurred at Florence.
Again, I’m only a messenger, not an advocate.