H
Hesychios
Guest
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Hello Tef,
I appreciate your comment about not having it both ways, but it isn’t about what I want from a Pope. You make it sound as if the Popes who opposed the filioque but didn’t stop it’s spread were just being nice! How liberal of them…
I have two points to emphasize on this subject:
The first is that this is a clear demonstration of the lack of Universal Jurisdiction in the history of the western church. A REALLY BIG example.
The Pope then had no more control over the church in Spain than he had in Syria, which was pretty much zilch. Today of course, a Pope would be able to squash a novelty coming out of Spain pretty easily, if he wanted too. He could even replace Archbishops like the one in Seattle some years ago.
The second point is…and this is pretty important…the filioque was not prayed in the vicinity of Rome for one thousand years! Yet no one would argue that the church in the city of Rome, under it’s bishops…were any worse off, misguided or confused. The laity there simply knew the same Creed as the orthodox, and believed it.
In this I was responding to some general claims here that the filioque is really needed for a Catholic understanding of the Most Holy Trinity, I feel that the historical facts speak otherwise.
Pope Leo III had engraved the proper creed on silver tablets in Latin and Greek in Rome without the filioque, as a safeguard against it’s spread to Rome. I believe they may still be seen in the Lateran cathedral. They were placed prominently in reaction to the Franks adoption of the filioque containing Creed at Aachen. A rogue action by out of control Frankish Catholic bishops who did not yet know anything about the nature of Papal Universal Jurisdiction…
What explanation did Pope Leo give for placing these tablets on the walls of the mother church of all western Christendom? On those selfsame tablets he had engraved:
HAEC LEO POSUI AMORE ET CAUTELA ORTHODOXAE FIDEI
Can anyone here translate this for us?
In Christ Jesus…
Michael
Hello Tef,
Your point about the Emperors was not missed, but they sometimes dominated the church at Rome in the same way, and when that ended Rome was dominated by the Frankish kings, much later the French kings, sometimes the petty nobility of Rome, and for long periods by the greater nobility and merchant princes from all over central Italy. So I do not believe your own contrasting of papal power with imperial power is relevant or accurate. I will forget it.]Michael-
You can’t have it both ways. The Pope is either an autocrat or he is not. Isn’t the fact that the Church doesn’t arbitrarily define and enforce dogma an indication of the latter?
How is the Pope an iron-fisted tyrant while the Byzantine Emperor is a soft and cuddly patron of the Orthodox?
I appreciate your comment about not having it both ways, but it isn’t about what I want from a Pope. You make it sound as if the Popes who opposed the filioque but didn’t stop it’s spread were just being nice! How liberal of them…
I have two points to emphasize on this subject:
The first is that this is a clear demonstration of the lack of Universal Jurisdiction in the history of the western church. A REALLY BIG example.
The Pope then had no more control over the church in Spain than he had in Syria, which was pretty much zilch. Today of course, a Pope would be able to squash a novelty coming out of Spain pretty easily, if he wanted too. He could even replace Archbishops like the one in Seattle some years ago.
The second point is…and this is pretty important…the filioque was not prayed in the vicinity of Rome for one thousand years! Yet no one would argue that the church in the city of Rome, under it’s bishops…were any worse off, misguided or confused. The laity there simply knew the same Creed as the orthodox, and believed it.
In this I was responding to some general claims here that the filioque is really needed for a Catholic understanding of the Most Holy Trinity, I feel that the historical facts speak otherwise.
Pope Leo III had engraved the proper creed on silver tablets in Latin and Greek in Rome without the filioque, as a safeguard against it’s spread to Rome. I believe they may still be seen in the Lateran cathedral. They were placed prominently in reaction to the Franks adoption of the filioque containing Creed at Aachen. A rogue action by out of control Frankish Catholic bishops who did not yet know anything about the nature of Papal Universal Jurisdiction…
What explanation did Pope Leo give for placing these tablets on the walls of the mother church of all western Christendom? On those selfsame tablets he had engraved:
HAEC LEO POSUI AMORE ET CAUTELA ORTHODOXAE FIDEI
Can anyone here translate this for us?
In Christ Jesus…
Michael