The French Complain of Papal Idolatry

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
HagiaSophia:
“The fiction that this man, at his limits, is still capable of ruling cannot last any longer.”

Don’t they mean leading/guiding?

Good stuff Matt25. Y’know people, there are a lot of things going on in the world that don’t revolve around America. It’s amazing that immediatedly people started criticizing France based only on the connection of this article to a French reporter. As if there aren’t people in America, Canada, England or anywhere else in the world just eagerly awaiting John Paul II’s death in the hopes that a more liberal pope will be installed and that the Church will reform and ‘modernize’ its morality. Sheesh…

As for the pope, when his time comes, it’ll come, and it might be soon but lets keep in mind that this pope has outlived reporters who’ve reported his imminent death many times over. This is no different than before.

jdnation,

I already posted a rebuttal to Matt’s claim that France invented the www, not true.

I was talking about the peacekeeping, I haven’t any idea of the www.

**Vatican Says Pope Ready to Leave Hospital

**By WILLIAM J. KOLE
Associated Press Writer
Published February 10, 2005, 9:59 AM CST

VATICAN CITY – Pope John Paul II has been “cured” of his breathing spasms and was ready to leave the hospital, his spokesman said Thursday, 10 days after he was treated for a health crisis that rekindled questions about his ability to carry on.

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-pope,1,2407790.story?coll=chi-news-hed

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Someone refresh my memory. Have the French said or done anything of world significance in recent history? Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t France where secular humanism got its start? Thanks alot, France, for ignoring your glorious religious history, with such saints as Theresa of Lisieux, King Louis IX, Jean d’Arc, and hundreds of others.
The only thing the French have been successful at was the French Revolution, which doesn’t count b/c they fought themselves.

The French celebrate the Enlightenment, and sought with fervor to root out and dstroy religion. Voltaire said “Crush the infamous thing!”

Their secularism has resulted in a deep pessimism and unhappiness in France. They seem more nihilistic than anything. Odd to think of the glorious saints who sprang from French blood and culture.

40.png
Matt25:
Simone Weil
Also said that she once worked in a French shoe factory, and for the rest of her life, that anyone ever spoke kindly to her was a surprise.

Paul VI once said that if there were two French Catholics alive in the world, one would be packing to come to Rome to report the other.

Cardinals Shrug Off the Idea of a Papal Resignation

Topic “Is in Poor Taste,” Says Giovanni Re

Several cardinals say that no thought is seriously being given to the possibility of John Paul II’s resignation, since he enjoys the clearheadedness he needs to continue guiding the Church.

In fact, “to speak about the Pope’s resignation” at this time “is in poor taste,” contends Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops.

In statements Tuesday to the AdnKronos agency, the cardinal said that the question of a papal resignation is particularly grave given that “it has been reopened, using the flu as excuse.”

"…For his part, Cardinal Darío Castrillón Hoyos, prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, stressed Tuesday on the Colombian station Radio Caracol that the Pope has “all the mental capacity” to govern the Church.

“The law of the Church, for any reason of an individual or personal nature, always leaves the Vicar of Christ the freedom to decide,” the cardinal said. "He is the only one who takes initiatives in this respect. And at present, it isn’t the case.

“There is no need to speak of the topic. The Holy Father has control of the rudder of the Church.” …"

Code: ZE05020904

Date: 2005-02-09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back