I
IQ170
Guest
This kind of reasoning is applicable (or rather inapplicable) to each and every act, not just a so-called morally significant acts. If you would want to “postpone” every act until you have full information, you would never be able to do anything - not even take a breath. Since we can never have a full, 100% assurance, we need to act on the available information. In other words, we must use the “duck principle”.Since I do not know if or how much it will affect others prior to doing it and prior to waiting for all the consequences to play out in time, and even then I still won’t nearly fully know, how do I know if it is moral at the moment of decision, when I need to know?
Where did this come from? Of course rational risk assessment is a “must”. It might not lead to absolute certainty, but a reasonable conclusion is sufficient. Even in the most serious criminal cases we adhere to the concept of “beyond reasonable doubt” - not to “beyond any doubt”.…you seem to disallow a risk assessment…