The Geritol Gang at it Again - (Dissent)

• Thread starter Thread starter philipmarus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish he were my bishop. The old ones refuse to submit. They are like rebellious adolescents. They know it all.

From the article:
Church teaching changes over time, Greger says, often as a result of the study, prayers and experiences of lay people. He says he’d just like the leadership of the church to admit as much.
There it is. The poor man misunderstands the whole nature of the teaching of the Church as opposed to the of of the Church; i.e., a parish, a diocese, etc.

Let’s examine the thought processes of such as he.

One parish decides that, as a result of the study, prayers and experiences of lay people, there really should be ordination of women. But it runs squarely into the fact that Pope John Paul II has explictly stated as teaching of the church that the Church has no authority whatsoever to entertain the idea of the ordination of women. Well, that can’t be. Surely JESUS would want to give women the same rights as men. So they decide that this teaching can be considered either “not really Catholic teaching”, “outmoded or misunderstood Catholic teaching”, or “teaching that can be changed”.

What to do? Here is what appears to be the current strategy of those of this mindset. . .

Insert your favorite so-called contemporary"Catholic teaching", whether its on abortion rights, gay marriage rights, social justice rights, etc.

Though the Church has taught to the contrary on this subject, ____________, as a result of the study, prayers and experiences of lay people, we hereby believe that the Church teaching should be changed to recognize the correctness of our position and the ignorance, bigotry, small-mindedness, stupidity, intolerance, hatred, homophobic, woman-hating, politically incorrect, domineering, patristic, cruel, money-grubbing, theologically insupportable, unChristian attitude of the Church’s original teaching. This is the 21st century, let’s get rid of the Church’s medieval thinking!

God have mercy. We have met the enemy, and they are us!

Funny thing to hear them referred to as the Geritol Gang…The 50+ crowd has been causing havoc for a long time …destroying all life in their path…
The strange thing is they will all be with their hands out wanting to receive love even as they have one foot in the grave.

The younger generations are obligated to offer unconditional love and understanding. This is not an easy task. We are obligated to uphold the laws of God and Church.

40.png
Binney:
Funny thing to hear them referred to as the Geritol Gang…The 50+ crowd has been causing havoc for a long time …destroying all life in their path…
The strange thing is they will all be with their hands out wanting to receive love even as they have one foot in the grave.

The younger generations are obligated to offer unconditional love and understanding. This is not an easy task. We are obligated to uphold the laws of God and Church.
Makes me smile… because there are dissenters of all ages… the young want contraception and live together before trying marriage… but the permissiveness of their parents generation brought them to this point,.

If you mean the 50+…causing havoc… means we (I am 58) are responsible for much of the church’s current confusion… you are right. We screwed up by being “progressive” and “modernistic” and by not knowing our faith. Our children are paying a price for it,

Seems like the dissenters have at least one thing in common… ignoring Paul’s teaching to “hold fast to the traditions”. Too often a dissenter is the one who favors the change… either in Tradition, or in litergy, or in prayer life…etc. So their common bond is a rejection of authority. From Satan, to Luther, to VOF etc. The added problem today, however, is that many dissenters choose to “stay in the church” and present themselves to others as real Catholics.

No wonder Bishop Sheen never missed Adoration in over 50 years. He knew where his strength and power came from.

40.png
MrS:
If you mean the 50+…causing havoc… means we (I am 58) are responsible for much of the church’s current confusion… you are right. We screwed up by being “progressive” and “modernistic” and by not knowing our faith. Our children are paying a price for it,
Speak for yourself. I am 63, and all four of my children were raised right, in the Church. My wife, 64, and I have always been totally orthodox.

Dissent does not respect age, so please don’t make a blanket statement that “we (over 50s) are responsible.”

I promise you that the root of much of the dissent centers on issues of sexuality and gender. To quote Karl Keating you never hear about people dissenting from the teaching on the hypostatic union.

All heresy begins below the belt. There is a reason for that old saying.

40.png
Richardols:
Speak for yourself. I am 63, and all four of my children were raised right, in the Church. My wife, 64, and I have always been totally orthodox.

Dissent does not respect age, so please don’t make a blanket statement that “we (over 50s) are responsible.”
Of course, all ages are gulity, but the crowd that came of age in the 1960s seem to dominate the heterodox side.

Thank you for posting this. FWIW this weekend’s Oregonian was a study in anti-Catholic propaganda. Instead of international stories, or the brave woman in Atlanta who was able to reason with Mr. Nichols our FRONT PAGE NEWS was a lengthy story about an abusive priest. It was such old, boring non-news I could not fathom why it was given this premier placement. Then turning to the ‘women’s section’ there was a lengthy story castigating the Church for ‘refusing’ to ordain women or affirm homosexuals. All I can say is bravo to the Bishop of Baker.

I do not know why this paper has such hostility toward the church. Anything positive is buried in the back of the bus and this repeat of what wasn’t news in the first place was front and center.

Lisa N

40.png
fix:
Of course, all ages are gulity, but the crowd that came of age in the 1960s seem to dominate the heterodox side.
You win the gold prize. Of course their not heretics because of their age in and of itself.

40.png
Richardols:
Not yet. They are still at the level of dissenters.
From the Code of Cannon Law…

Can. 751 Heresy is the obstinate denial or doubt, after baptism, of a truth which must be believed by divine and catholic faith. Apostasy is the total repudiation of the christian faith. Schism is the withdrawal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff or from communion with the members of the Church subject to him.

so if they are doubting…which it sounds like they are, they are heretics by definition…

Tyler Smedley:
From the Code of Cannon Law…

Can. 751 Heresy is the obstinate denial or doubt, after baptism, of a truth which must be believed by divine and catholic faith. Apostasy is the total repudiation of the christian faith. Schism is the withdrawal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff or from communion with the members of the Church subject to him.

so if they are doubting…which it sounds like they are, they are heretics by definition…
I disagree. We cannot be sure that theirs is obstinate doubt, so we cannot yet condemn them as heretics.

40.png
Richardols:

I believe you missed the point entirely; it is not that all those over 50 are guilty – it is that the point leaders of dissent are. That’s what most of them have in common – once you understand that, their mindset comes into question. Born of dissent, nurtured in rebellion for its own sake, and taking unto themselves power and authority which was never theirs in the first place, they try to seize leadership, not understanding from whence power, authority and leadership in the church flows — hint: it ain’t in their direction.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
I believe you missed the point entirely; it is not that all those over 50 are guilty – it is that the point leaders of dissent are. That’s what most of them have in common – once you understand that, their mindset comes into question. Born of dissent, nurtured in rebellion for its own sake, and taking unto themselves power and authority which was never theirs in the first place, they try to seize leadership, not understanding from whence power, authority and leadership in the church flows — hint: it ain’t in their direction.
:amen:

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Born of dissent, nurtured in rebellion for its own sake, and taking unto themselves power and authority which was never theirs in the first place
Colorful language to be sure, but hard to prove the assertions. E.g., what dissent in the early 1940s to 1950s were they born of?

40.png
MrS:
Makes me smile… because there are dissenters of all ages… the young want contraception and live together before trying marriage… but the permissiveness of their parents generation brought them to this point,.

Seems like the dissenters have at least one thing in common… ignoring Paul’s teaching to “hold fast to the traditions”. Too often a dissenter is the one who favors the change… either in Tradition, or in litergy, or in prayer life…etc. So their common bond is a rejection of authority. From Satan, to Luther, to VOF etc. The added problem today, however, is that many dissenters choose to “stay in the church” and present themselves to others as real Catholics.

No wonder Bishop Sheen never missed Adoration in over 50 years. He knew where his strength and power came from.
Thank you so much for recognizing that there may have been someone responsible for dropping the ball when it came to catechizing my generation (born in the 70’s) and those since. I realize that it is not every single person who is over 50 that caused the problem, but it seems like there is a huge generation gap between those who were taught before Vatican II and those who grew up after. (Vatican II was not itself to blame. It was good, but what a lot of Americans did with it was not good.) I feel like I was robbed of the fullness of truth. I had to leave the Church, muddle through great suffering in this culture of ours, and eventually find my way back through the help of my husband and re-learn my faith on my own.
Am I to blame for what I wasn’t taught in 10 years of “Catholic” school? Is it my fault there were no nuns teaching by the time I was of school age? Is it my fault that I got fed lukewarm, watered down, cafeteria style Catholicism? It would be my fault if I were to continue down the path that was set out for me, but by the grace of God, I now know the Truth! Many of my generation are not so lucky. They don’t even know that they have been shielded from the Grace of the Truth! So why would they seek it out? They think that they *are * good, practicing Catholics. And the priests certainly are not telling them otherwise. 😦
I am sure that there were many good, solid, practicing Catholics of that (baby boomer?) generation. Unfortunately, they were drowned out by the loud persistence of the dissenters, and we are seeing the fruits of it today in the absence of young families in the pews, the closing of Catholic schools, and the financial difficulties of our Churches. We are a poorly catechized generation, and that means we are not passing on a strong faith to *our * children. I say ‘we’ because, even though I hope that I am doing what God wills, that I am doing better teaching my own children, I am still a part of a generation deceived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back