Is anyone else uncomfortable with the the phrase “Our Life, Our Sweetness, and Our Hope.”?
I am. For starters, I live for God/Jesus not Mary. To say Mary is my life is an affront to God and Christ and their Primacy.
I could live with the sweetness though, and see nothing wrong with this word to describe her.
The next words bother me though. Mary isn’t my hope, Christ is, because ultimately is through Him that I get to God.
Can anyone explain this to me in a better way perhaps because that is how I see it.
I pray the Rosary. I love Mary, she is my mother, she does intercede for me and I’m very appreciative for that but to say these things about her, I feel that it elevates her above God. I ommit this when I say the prayer.
I had this sort of problem - this helped to put things into perspective:
Look down from heaven,
holy Father, from the loftiness of that mountain to the lowliness of this valley, from that harbour of quietness and tranquillity to this calamitous sea. And now that the darkness of this world hinders no more those benignant eyes of thine from looking clearly into all things, look down and visit, O most diligent Keeper, that vineyard which thy right hand planted with so much labour, anxiety, and peril.
To thee then we fly, from thee we seek for aid: to thee we give our whole selves unreservedly; thee we adopt for our patron and defender.
Undertake the cause of our salvation, protect thy clients; to thee we appeal as our leader, rule thine army fighting against the assaults of the devil; to thee, kindest of rulers, we give up the rudder of our lives; steer this little ship of thine, and placed as thou art on high, keep us off all the rocks of evil desires, that with thee for our pilot and our guide we may safely come to the port of eternal bliss.
All of this is addressed to a human Saint - yet almost all of it is more fully true of God the Father. The beginning of it is ultimately inspired by a passage in Isaiah 65 that is a prayer for help to God.
So the BVM is addressed in very strong language - but she is not by any means the only Saint to be addressed in very strong language taken from the Bible, for so are others. There are litanies, novenas, consecrations, & so on in honour of other Saints than her - St. Francis Xavier, St. John Berchmans, & St.Philip Neri are three examples.
If Mary is our sweetness - which you
don’t have difficulty with

- isn’t Jesus Christ far far far far fafafa more so ? Any good in creatures is found in Him, as the Source of that goodness. Nothing in creation, Saint or not, is anything apart from Him: not Mary, not those other Saints, not us, not an angel, a proton, or molecule. He is the “environment” of all existence. Yet, we don’t have difficulty calling Mary “our sweetness”, or ambassadors “Excellency” or rulers “Majesty”. Yet Jesus Christ is the Eternal King, Alone Majestic, Alone Excellent: if these can be applied withouit sin to mere human beings - who may be of anything but good character, why is there a problem with other qualities that like them are found fully in Christ alone ? If it not sinful to call Queen Elizabeth II “Majesty” - how is it a sin to call the BVM “our sweetness”

? Yet neither quality belongs to creatures of themselves, both are realised fully only in Christ.
In calling the BVM “sweetness”, we are not subtracting from Him anything He possesses. If I take what belongs to you, it ceases to be in your possession, because it is now someone else’s. You no longer have it. God’s gifts to His creatures are not like that - His Holiness never ceases to be His, not even when He pours it on creatures: He is as Holy as ever. There
has been a change - but not in Him; instead, creatures now have what they did not: the change is in
them. So the BVM is God’s beneficiary; she is & has nothing that is not His - & it remains His. His Holiness is not lessened by being given; it is infinite, because He is. And no creature, not even her, can cease to be a creature or to receive what is infinite in a finite manner.