P
PeterLD
Guest
Being only 35 I only know of the 1970 Ordinary Mass. I’m curious to know was the *whole * Tridentine Mass in Latin? Even the sermon?
At the time for the Sermon, the priest would typically read the Epistle and Gospel in the vernacular, make any announcements, and of course give the sermon in the vernacular.Being only 35 I only know of the 1970 Ordinary Mass. I’m curious to know was the *whole * Tridentine Mass in Latin? Even the sermon?
This is a very good point that is often forgotten. In fact the “official” language for the Pauline Mass is Latin. The vernacular is permitted where Latin would pose an obstacle.But remember that the Pauline Missal, also known as the Ordinary Form, can likewise be celebrated entirely in Latin.
**It might be better to say that such a mass would be a good example of what His Holiness is deliberately holding up as an model for parishes to follow in the celebration of the Ordinary Form (Pauline or 1969 missal), as he has deliberately said.So a televised Papal Mass today would give one an idea of what parts of the pre-1964 Tridentine Mass were in Latin and what were in the vernacular?
A better idea would be to go to YouTube and search for Tridentine Mass.So a televised Papal Mass today would give one an idea of what parts of the pre-1964 Tridentine Mass were in Latin and what were in the vernacular?
I watched an old 1937 film of a Novena in honor of Our Sorrowful Mother. If there was a sermon, they skipped it.A better idea would be to go to YouTube and search for Tridentine Mass.
They did indeed, though note that that Mass, narrated by Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen, was in 1941, not 1937. The opening narration stated that the perpetual novena had started in 1937, but the date on the video (which I have had since 1985, when it first came out on VHS) states that the Mass was celebrated on Easter Day,1941.I watched an old 1937 film of a Novena in honor of Our Sorrowful Mother. If there was a sermon, they skipped it.