The mystery of Judas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maximian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maximian

Guest
Pope Francis said “The Mystery of Judas hangs over our time.”

What do you think he meant? Does it mean the same for you?
 
Ah, Judas. I admit Judas bothers me. Was he destined to betray Jesus? I read a short essay by Jorge Luis Borges about Judas that was weird about the whole issue. And there’s this poem that Fr Leo Clifford read on EWTN.

Judas, if true love never ceases
how could you, my friend, have come to this:
To sell me for thirty silver pieces
and betray me with a kiss?
Judas, remember what I taught you,
do not despair while hanging on the rope.
It’s because you sinned that I have sought you;
I came to give you hope.
Judas, let us pray and hang together,
you on your halter, I upon my hill.
Dear friend, even if you loved me never,
you know I love you still.
 
Don’t know. Fortunately, I am neither Pope Francis nor in the business of readings minds.
 
This is from Pope Benedict XVI, but it more clearly expresses my feelings on the mystery of Judas.

https://zenit.org/articles/pope-focuses-on-mystery-of-judas-betrayal/

I can’t understand how a person loved by Jesus could openly reject Jesus. Did he think he was actually serving God better by turning Jesus in? Was he jealous that Jesus seemed to favor Peter, James and John? Was he used by God to do this? Moreover, he felt remorse later over what he did. He may have been initially motivated by money, but afterwards he cried and threw the money away.

The mystery of Judas to me is that we don’t know what happened to him. Whether he somehow repented at the last second and whether he was even in his right mind by that point, as his decision to kill himself was made when he was upset.

I also see people rejecting Jesus regularly today and it’s usually not because they’re only interested in power and money. Often they think they are doing the right thing, like Judas may have thought.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Maximian:
“The Mystery of Judas hangs over our time.”
Is that supposed to be a pun?
It’s rather good, isn’t it? I have not yet been able to find it in Pope Francis’ actual words, though I have found him discussing “the mystery of Judas”. I wonder if Cardinal Sarah employed a clever turn of phrase.
 
Pope Francis said “The Mystery of Judas hangs over our time.”

What do you think he meant? Does it mean the same for you?
From the Homily on April 8, 2020.


The commentary states:
Despite all this, the Pope pointed out, Christ never calls Judas a “traitor” personally. Rather, Jesus calls him “friend” and kisses him. The Pope said this is the mystery of Judas.
 
It should be noted that the Pope did not say on April 8, 2020, the exact quote given by the OP, namely “The mystery of Judas hangs over our time.”

I further expect that the Pope said this, or something similar, much earlier in his term for Cardinal Sarah to have already incorporated it into a published book (published Sept 2019).
 
Last edited:
It should be noted that the Pope did not say on April 8, 2020, the exact quote given by the OP, namely “The mystery of Judas hangs over our time.”

I further expect that the Pope said this, or something similar, much earlier in his term for Cardinal Sarah to have already incorporated it into a published book (published Sept 2019).
Yes, Pope Francis has often spoken on that mystery, since at least May 2013.
 
The mystery of Judas to me is that we don’t know what happened to him. Whether he somehow repented at the last second and whether he was even in his right mind by that point, as his decision to kill himself was made when he was upset.
It seems pretty definitive to me.
The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed: it were better for him, if that man had not been born.

I can think of no place where this would apply than hell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top