Is anyone paying attention to the Olmpics anymore? Outside of the basketball team, I don’t really care.
Look, the NFL is in training camps, Farve is traded to the Jets, and college ball is only few weeks away, what’s goin on in China is *not *on my radar.
I better check the batteries in the clicker, cause I gotta feeling the next few weeks, I’ll be clicking past NBC for the next 2 weeks.
Yep, we pay attention to the Olympics! I personally don’t really care for the summer games as much as the Winter Games, but I still have the TV on constantly, which is very unusual at our house.
During the Winter Games, my husband and I have the TV on 24/7, and we tape everything and try not to miss a thing.
We have a local woman on the Olympic Softball team. Too bad this is the last year for the sport in the Olympics. But at least she had her chance to stand under those Olympic rings.
It is my dream that someday, synchronized skating will be granted Olympic status. There are a lot of bureaucratic reasons why the sport isn’t “in” right now; I personally think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the head of the ISU (International Skating Union) is a speed skater who has a small understanding of the figure skating sports. (He says that synchronized skaters aren’t “athletes.”) I also think that the IOC is most open to sports that are $$ makers, which synchro skating definitely isn’t–yet.
But we keep working towards the goal of Olympic status. Olympic status would give the sport legitimacy among coaches and parents, and would result in a huge surge of interested children (and adults) into our local ice rinks. This would be good for every ice skating sport, not just figure skating.
Last season, synchronized skating was included for the first time in the University Games in Turin. This competition is the second-largest Winter sports competition after the Winter Olympics. And I’m happy to report that the synchronized skating event was completely SOLD OUT!
Also, the World Championships of Synchronized Skating was held in Canada two seasons ago, and it sold out a full four months in advance. Tickets for that competition were impossible even to buy from a scalper.
So these are good signs–if the sport can continue to draw huge crowds (and therefore draw in huge $$), the IOC will hopefully sit up and take it more seriously.
If you’ve never seen the sport of synchronized skating, here’s a video montage:
youtube.com/watch?v=ksnNHytIz4s