The Our Father---Do you join hands or not?

• Thread starter Thread starter lorly3170
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
Its dorky… It makes me very uncomfortable, looks like summer camp, and distracts me from the mass.
geez and the people call themselves christians( would Christ refuse your hand??!!) :tsktsk: :ehh:

Podo the Hobbit:blessyou:

The simplest way to divert form truth is to occuse people lacking in charity.

40.png
kfarose2585:
Wait…so are you guys saying that the priests in your parish don’t say, “Let us now join our hearts and our hands as we come together to pray the Our Father”?
This is a new one on me never heard it in my parish…

40.png
tru_dvotion:
Now for a completely different reason, why is it considered uncharitable not to follow the majority?
I was suggesting that she follow along with the majority, not because I believe that majority should rule, but because the twit (alright, the j*ck**s)she was next to was being uncharitable by insisting she hold hands. Do you think no one else around her saw this display? She could have brought it to an end quickly and quietly by holding the jerk’s hand. She chose, instead, to continue the battle; the other woman finaly stuck her hand under bluerose’s arm. And just as the twit next to her pushed, she pushed back. My, what charity! How great a show of the love of Christ to insist that I am going to show that you are wrong and I am right by participating in this little scene just before Communion!

I ***am not *** suggesting that hand holding is right. I am suggesting that there are any number of ways to skin a cat, and this one used a very dull knife. Not only was bluerose upset, and the twit next to her upset, but everyone within 3 to 4 bences back was given a display of a power struggle.
40.png
tru_dvotion:
That is how liturgical abuses spread and become the norm.
No it is not. The practice is already wide spread. Blurose’s reaction is not doing much to change it, either; just harden attitudes.
40.png
tru_dvotion:
That fact she was angry at the other person’s lack of manners, no way negates the fact, she was being coerced into something she did not want to do.
I don’t recall saying anything negating that fact.
40.png
tru_dvotion:
If everybody jumps off the cliff, is it uncharitable not to jump? I realize holding hands during the Our Father is not as serious as jumping off a cliff. But in a pluralistic society, and because, the Church has not escaped its influences, it is still not uncharitable to stand up to impudence. Too many wrongs are allowed to flourish and are perpetuated in the name of charity.
We are not talking about cliffs. We are talking about ways to address the problem, and I don’t think you are reading my comments calmly. Yes, it can be uncharitable to stand up to impudence, depending on the time and place; and standing up to it sounds in confrontation. As I said above, there are many ways to skin the cat…

The liberals already paint everyone else as anal retentive, at best. Is it really necessary to prove them right?

Read Mimi G’ response. It is small potatoes! Personally, I agree that it is poor liturgical action, for more reasons than stated in this thread (and with the exception of the GIRM argument). What concerns me more is how those who don’t want to hold hands react to it. IMHO charity towards our fellow parishioners is going to move us farther in changing this than insistence in the face of someone who can’t or won’t get it.

40.png
otm:
Blurose’s reaction is not doing much to change it, either; just harden attitudes.

We are talking about ways to address the problem,
As I said above, there are many ways to skin the cat…

The liberals already paint everyone else as anal retentive, at best. Is it really necessary to prove them right?

It is small potatoes! Personally, I agree that it is poor liturgical action

IMHO charity towards our fellow parishioners is going to move us farther in changing this than insistence in the face of someone who can’t or won’t get it.
I cannot argue with the way you argue your point otm…

Except maybe for this one:

“and I don’t think you are reading my comments calmly.”🙂

Plus I had no idea it is a widespread practice. (I live in Canada.) There is always a few people high on “agape love” trying hard to change the status quo here too, but the innovations tend to die away in failure, 😃 be it clapping, swaying or holding hands. I was thinking how I would have dealt with this myself, I would not have been angry; I would have been amused for sure… I have a way of dealing with snut and spittle covered hands during the exchange of peace… I do not take those:eek: , but decline in a friendly manner. 😉 I still think you guys were hard on her… and a positive suggestion would have accomplished far more than calling her childish, etc. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back