The POPE

  • Thread starter Thread starter MADMARTIGAN
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MADMARTIGAN

Guest
Sorry in advance, not sure where to put this.

I am having a really hard time with the POPE. He is more outspoken than others that, at least I can remember. Can someone help me understand him. I just feel like when atheist, non believers, and morally corrupt people praise him and quote him there’s something not right. I also feel like he has more of a agenda than being a catholic. Maybe its me, Maybe I have lost my way? I just don’t feel like hes MY POPE. Sorry if I offend anybody, not my intention. Just looking for answers.
 
I watched the Mass from the Philippines this morning.

It made me realize that no matter how the Pope is perceived, to this Catholic, how He says Mass is of utmost importance. It made me forget the differences that, for the most part, are seen in the secular press.
 
Sorry in advance, not sure where to put this.

I am having a really hard time with the POPE. He is more outspoken than others that, at least I can remember. Can someone help me understand him. I just feel like when atheist, non believers, and morally corrupt people praise him and quote him there’s something not right. I also feel like he has more of a agenda than being a catholic. Maybe its me, Maybe I have lost my way? I just don’t feel like hes MY POPE. Sorry if I offend anybody, not my intention. Just looking for answers.
Just my take on a couple of your concerns. Firstly the non believers, atheist, morally corrupt and secular media praise what they think Pope Francis said. They don’t listen or read what he actually says or take a few words from a whole message completely out of context. All I can suggest is going to Catholic sources to read what he really said and if it is something that you feel uncomfortable with, check it against scripture, the Catechism and Magistarium (hope I spelt it correctly). For example, I am aware that some people (and I am not implying that you are one of them) struggle with many of the Popes who reach out to a range of people outside the Church, but reaching out to lost sheep (no matter how mucky and lost) is scriptural and part of the mission of the Church.

This is just my view and I hope it helps. I admit I cannot keep up with Pope Francis but then again, that is probably due to me needing to learn more about the faith.
 
. I just feel like when atheist, non believers, and morally corrupt people praise him and quote him there’s something not right.
Might that not be a good thing? Why does it mean something’s not right?

It would be a good thing if atheists, non-believers, and the morally corrupt (which includes basically all humans because all are sinners) hear Francis and move closer to the Church.

I don’t want to use a cliche, but how are the atheists, non-believers, and morally corrupt different from tax-collectors, prostitutes, thieves, and Roman soldiers?
 
Our Catholic Church is the Bride of Christ. She has been through many difficult times over the past 2000 years, but Jesus promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against her. Be not afraid. Pray for Pope Francis and trust in God.
 
I don’t see anything wrong with Pope Francis. in fact, I see him as very much like Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ in what he says and does.

The fact that secular people praise him doesn’t faze him nor does it bother me, since Our Lord was also lauded by many people and yet he wasn’t distracted by it and neither is Pope Francis.

In this he is very much like Our Lord in ***John 2:[23] Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs which he did; [24] but Jesus did not trust himself to them, [25] because he knew all men and needed no one to bear witness of man; for he himself knew what was in man. ***
 
Just my take on a couple of your concerns. Firstly the non believers, atheist, morally corrupt and secular media praise what they think Pope Francis said. They don’t listen or read what he actually says or take a few words from a whole message completely out of context. All I can suggest is going to Catholic sources to read what he really said and if it is something that you feel uncomfortable with, check it against scripture, the Catechism and Magistarium (hope I spelt it correctly). For example, I am aware that some people (and I am not implying that you are one of them) struggle with many of the Popes who reach out to a range of people outside the Church, but reaching out to lost sheep (no matter how mucky and lost) is scriptural and part of the mission of the Church.

This is just my view and I hope it helps. I admit I cannot keep up with Pope Francis but then again, that is probably due to me needing to learn more about the faith.
Good post! Having said that, I like the guy, a lot.
 
I see a couple of things happening with Pope Francis. Firstly, he’s not as careful about what he publicly states as other popes have been. That can be good and it can be bad in that whatever he gives people more to “interpret” according to their personal likes and dislikes.

No pope in history ever got off scott free from people misinterpreting his words or using what he said in some offhand remark or even what he wrote in an encyclical to push their own agendas. It’s happened many times before and will happen again. The thing with Pope Francis is he talks more and so gives people more “ammunition.”

Many see Pope Francis as more open and approachable because he does say so much, etc. That is their perception, but it’s not necessarily true. The media leapt on Francis from day one trying to make him the champion of whatever popular cause they wanted to push. I think he leaves himself open to that more than he should. The misperceptions may be a good thing in the long run because it will teach people that what a pope says in an interview on a plane is not the same thing as doctrine/dogma.
 
Sorry in advance, not sure where to put this.

I am having a really hard time with the POPE. He is more outspoken than others that, at least I can remember. Can someone help me understand him. I just feel like when atheist, non believers, and morally corrupt people praise him and quote him there’s something not right. I also feel like he has more of a agenda than being a catholic. Maybe its me, Maybe I have lost my way? I just don’t feel like hes MY POPE. Sorry if I offend anybody, not my intention. Just looking for answers.
In my current signature I have a link to twelve examples that show how much of a traditionalist Pope Francis really is. I encourage you to take a look.
 
Many of the popular secularist “quotes” about Francis are quite false. Christianity is not about the pope or any other bishop. If you disagree with the Francis’ secular opinions, or his topics of conversation, that does not make you, or he, any less Catholic. Pray for him, and all the bishops.
 
Secularist words in this case are little less than trash. The Pope knows what he’s said. Not the secular media.
 
I love the pope when he preaches catholicism , I am very troubled when he ventures into politically correct subjects like climate change, islam among others

But yes I love the pope and pray for him
 
I love the pope when he preaches catholicism , I am very troubled when he ventures into politically correct subjects like climate change, islam among others

But yes I love the pope and pray for him
👍 That is pretty much how I feel. I sometimes wish he would stay away from politics and stick to Catholicism, but I am not Pope so maybe there is a fine line I don’t see.

He is so vivacious for 78 and just wants to show love on his pilgrimages. So I think he is a good Pope and I pray for him often.
 
👍 That is pretty much how I feel. I sometimes wish he would stay away from politics and stick to Catholicism, but I am not Pope so maybe there is a fine line I don’t see.

He is so vivacious for 78 and just wants to show love on his pilgrimages. So I think he is a good Pope and I pray for him often.
👍
 
I love the pope when he preaches catholicism , I am very troubled when he ventures into politically correct subjects like climate change, islam among others

But yes I love the pope and pray for him
In other words, are you saying you’d rather he not take stands that you disagree with?
 
In other words, are you saying you’d rather he not take stands that you disagree with?
When the pope enters into politics and areas where he is not an expert , I believe that harms catholicism. He is speaking with speculation and nothing further
 
When the pope enters into politics and areas where he is not an expert , I believe that harms catholicism. He is speaking with speculation and nothing further
:pshaw:

It is morally acceptable for the pope to voice his personal opinions on controversial topics. We do that everyday in regards to family problems, sports, etc.

The pope is human, and therefore has the urging to make his voice heard. When he openly speculates on politics, Islam, and other sensitive topics, he is merely doing the same as the rest of us: there is no cause for concern.
 
That’s a valid point. I don’t think it damages Catholicism, but it could tarnish a Pope’s image as a wise, respected world leader.
 
:pshaw:

It is morally acceptable for the pope to voice his personal opinions on controversial topics. We do that everyday in regards to family problems, sports, etc.

The pope is human, and therefore has the urging to make his voice heard. When he openly speculates on politics, Islam, and other sensitive topics, he is merely doing the same as the rest of us: there is no cause for concern.
Free speech indeed , but the pope then faces consequence of being criticized as uninformed , speculative and wildly inaccurate

Making accusations without fact is sinful , as the pope is doing
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top