The Private Interpretation Ploy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scottgun
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the many interpretations. Are we to accept that Douay Rheims interpretation is protected from error? If so, why?

Matthew Henry says:

First, Some by this rock understand Peter himself as an apostle, the chief, though not the prince, of the twelve, senior among them, but not superior over them.

Secondly, Others, by this rock, understand Christ; “Thou art Peter, thou hast the name of a stone, but upon this rock, pointing to himself, I will build my church.”

Thirdly, Others by this rock understand this confession which Peter made of Christ, and this comes all to one with understanding it of Christ himself.
Here are two articles for your interest. The first one quotes current protestant scholars who concede that Peter himself is the rock on which Christ would build his Church. The second article explains the semantic basis for Christ proclaiming that Peter himself is the rock.
PETER IS THE ROCK
For the Protestant Reformers to rationalize breaking away from what was universally acknowledged in their culture as the Christian Church, it was necessary for them to deny the Catholic Church’s authority. To maintain their positions, they were forced to portray it as a kind of “anti-Church” that was unjustly claiming the prerogatives of Christ’s true (but invisible) Church.
Their chief target was, of course, the pope. To justify breaking away from the successor of Peter, they had to undercut the Petrine office itself. They were forced to deny the plain reading of Matthew 16:18—that Jesus made Peter the rock on which he would build his Church.
More recent Protestants have been able to back away from the position that early Protestants felt forced to make and have been able to admit that Peter is, indeed, the rock. It remains to be seen whether they will start drawing the necessary inferences from this fact.
catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9801word.asp
After the initial flash of insight into Matthew 16:17–19, I did further study on it and noticed several structural features of the passage that required Peter to be the rock. Basically, Jesus’ speech to Peter consists of three statements. The first of the three statements is a clear blessing on Peter. Jesus says, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona!” The third is also a blessing: “I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven.” But if the first and third statements are blessings then the middle statement—“And I tell you, you are Peter”— taken in its immediate context, must be a blessing as well. Jesus thus is not contrasting and belittling Peter as a small, insignificant stone with the second statement. It, like the ones before and after it, is a blessing that builds him up.
I noticed that the structure of the three statements required Peter to be the rock. Each statement consisted of two parts: first a basic declaration and then a longer explanation which unpacked the meaning of the declaration. (The explanations also had two parts, an assertion followed by a contrast, but this need not detain us since it does not affect the fact that Peter is the rock.) Jesus’ first statement, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona!” is explained by “for flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.” This is a reason why Simon is blessed. The third statement, “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven” is explained by Jesus’ remarks on binding and loosing. The power to bind and loose is part of what it means to have the keys to the kingdom. That being the case, the second statement, “And I tell you, you are Peter” is explained by “and on this rock I will build my Church.”
No two ways about it. Peter is the rock.
catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9811chap.asp
 
Always good advice. My wife and I are doing a lot of this as of late.
Perfect.

In honor of that and with Valentine’s Day approaching, here is a vignette I posted elsewhere:

Suppose you and your wife took a summer to hike the entire Appalachian trail together. Suppose further that you each kept a diary of your experiences. Would those diaries contain everything that you saw, experienced, talked about along the way or just the highlights scratched out quickly each evening before falling asleep? Would your writings be identical?

Further, suppose you wrote letters to friends and mailed them from the post offices that are available at certain points along the trail. Would those letters be complete? Or would you fill in the details once you were back home again and entertaining these friends with the “tale of the trail”?

Finally, suppose you and your wife had enjoyed a particularly romantic evening under the stars in a meadow somewhere in Virginia. Then would you not be able to write to your wife in a Valentine’s Day card years later, “I still remember the night in Bald Gap Meadow”? SHE would know EXACTLY what you are talking about and the feelings of love you are trying to express by invoking that particular memory which would be PREGNANT with meaning for her. Yet no one else would know that it was that very night she conceived your first child.

You see, Paul told Timothy to remember and hold fast to what he had taught him when they were together face to face - he did not and could not restate it all in the letters themselves.
 
You see, Paul told Timothy to remember and hold fast to what he had taught him when they were together face to face - he did not and could not restate it all in the letters themselves.
After consideration of your statements, I would say that some things do not need to be interpreted to be known.

I am reminded of a story by Francis Schaeffer. He went on a beautiful mediterannian cruise with his wife. There, one evening, he was debating with an avowed atheist who, consistant to his beliefs, denied that he was certain anything existed. After the end of the debate, when this person was leaving, Schaeffer asked him one last question… “As you are with your wife tonight, holding her beneath the stars, do you know that she exists?” And his tear-filled answer, “No, I do not know that she exists.”

In my protests I must make sure not to protest everything. But life is very confusing right now.
 
After consideration of your statements, I would say that some things do not need to be interpreted to be known.

I am reminded of a story by Francis Schaeffer. He went on a beautiful mediterannian cruise with his wife. There, one evening, he was debating with an avowed atheist who, consistant to his beliefs, denied that he was certain anything existed. After the end of the debate, when this person was leaving, Schaeffer asked him one last question… “As you are with your wife tonight, holding her beneath the stars, do you know that she exists?” And his tear-filled answer, “No, I do not know that she exists.”

In my protests I must make sure not to protest everything. But life is very confusing right now.
Ahah! Are we backpeddelling are we?
 
Ahah! Are we backpeddelling are we?
Constantly. I am very confused about a great many things. Hence why I ask so many questions.

So, do you find it within the realm of Christian Charity to gloat over this fact, or are you just pointing out something that you were before unable to understand?
 
Noma, the following link is the Library at Catholic Answers section on Peter and the Papacy, including apostolic succession, etc.
Have you read all the articles referenced there? If you have, then we’ll know that at least you have read all the evidence there and found it ‘wanting’ and that will make it much easier for us to discuss things. We won’t be trying to make a point to you that you’ve already decided ‘won’t cut it’.

If you haven’t, would you try?
 
After consideration of your statements, I would say that some things do not need to be interpreted to be known.

I am reminded of a story by Francis Schaeffer. He went on a beautiful mediterannian cruise with his wife. There, one evening, he was debating with an avowed atheist who, consistant to his beliefs, denied that he was certain anything existed. After the end of the debate, when this person was leaving, Schaeffer asked him one last question… “As you are with your wife tonight, holding her beneath the stars, do you know that she exists?” And his tear-filled answer, “No, I do not know that she exists.”

In my protests I must make sure not to protest everything. But life is very confusing right now.
Say no more? Oh well here we go now that you are listening.

Now there is even a "dial-a-prayer for atheists. You call a number and nobody answers.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14;1
How so are you confused?
 
Say no more? Oh well here we go now that you are listening.

Now there is even a "dial-a-prayer for atheists. You call a number and nobody answers.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14;1
How so are you confused?
I am not nor will I ever be an atheist.

I think we are just not understanding each other at all.
 
Have you read all the articles referenced there?
Yes.
We won’t be trying to make a point to you that you’ve already decided ‘won’t cut it’.
I don’t think the arguments there for a Pope cut it at all, partially for reasons listed in this thread.

But as for the more pointed and more convincing argument of “What would the world be like without a Pope?” I cannot answer many of these issues. That does not mean that there is no answer, but just that I end up changing the way I see things very often lately.

I find it best to try ideas out before adopting them. If they fail, at least you know that, and you can try something else.
 
After consideration of your statements, I would say that some things do not need to be interpreted to be known.

I am reminded of a story by Francis Schaeffer. He went on a beautiful mediterannian cruise with his wife. There, one evening, he was debating with an avowed atheist who, consistant to his beliefs, denied that he was certain anything existed. After the end of the debate, when this person was leaving, Schaeffer asked him one last question… “As you are with your wife tonight, holding her beneath the stars, do you know that she exists?” And his tear-filled answer, “No, I do not know that she exists.”

In my protests I must make sure not to protest everything. But life is very confusing right now.
That was a mean thing for Schaeffer to say. My husband would have punched his lights out or pushed him overboard.
 
Constantly. I am very confused about a great many things. Hence why I ask so many questions.

So, do you find it within the realm of Christian Charity to gloat over this fact, or are you just pointing out something that you were before unable to understand?
Now you are throwing my christian charity in my face but you don’t believe Jesus.
Seems to me you are the one without the understanding by your own admission.
 
I am not nor will I ever be an atheist.

I think we are just not understanding each other at all.
Let’s seeeeeee
1.We are at #180 or so and now you are talking about an atheist story, but you defend him?

2.I have not read any affirmation that you do believe in Jesus or the bible or anyone but point me to the post if I am wrong or anyone else.
  1. In order to not be an atheist, what do you believe in?
  2. Do you think you are really talking to anyone?
  3. I won’t say anymore ither.
 
To answer for myself: no. And this I say as a Protestant.

I don’t make things up in my basement without letting others in the Body of Christ challenge me on them.

Concerning predestination, I have the authority of Augustine and Aquinas, among many others. These may not tell me “yes predestination”, or “no predestination” (or the much more reasonable “this much predestination”). But they do give me good corporate reasons for accepting what I do.

In Christianity, Protestant or Catholic, there can be no truly private interpretation. Otherwise, every person is a Church unto himself, and atheists, who interpret the Scriptures in a way very distinct from Protestants and Catholics, are just as much a part of the Bodies of Christ as anyone else.

Every group has its tradition. And though I reject the Catholic Church, I do accept that it is absolutely correct in a great many (maybe even most) things.
To dessert. This is in this thread. And, if you follow this thread, reading all the posts, you will find that this position is not inconsistent with anything else I have defended.
 
2.I have not read any affirmation that you do believe in Jesus or the bible or anyone but point me to the post if I am wrong or anyone else.
See above.
  1. In order to not be an atheist, what do you believe in?
I don’t believe in anything “in order not to be an atheist.” Actually, I could be a pantheist without being an atheist, or an agnostic without being an atheist.

Rather, I accept the Nicene Creed, and from the Creed of the Church, I accept the Scriptures as the crown of Sacred Tradition, inerrant and most holy.

I also accept Mary as Theotokos and Ever Virgin, more honorable than the cherubim, more glorious than the seraphim, spotless and immaculate.

But I don’t accept the authority of the Patriarch of Rome. Does this make me an atheist?
  1. Do you think you are really talking to anyone?
Yes.
  1. I won’t say anymore ither.
Okay.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top