The Purpose Driven Life

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

Is anyone here familiar with book *The Purpose Driven Life * and the surrounding hoopla? From a Catholic perspective, is it problematic at all?

I have some familiarity, my wife has read part of it, but I haven’t read it myself. I’m not aware of theological problems, but my wife’s reaction was that it was probably fine for someone who hasn’t done a lot of spiritual reading, but that there is Catholic reading material available that issues a much “deeper” call for holiness. One example is “Abandonment to Divine Providence” by Jean-Pierre de Caussade. Another is the daily devotional “In Conversation With God” (not to be confused with the New Age book “Conversations with God”) by Francis Fernandez.

Fidelis
  • Is anyone here familiar with book The Purpose Driven Life and the surrounding hoopla? From a Catholic perspective, is it problematic at all?*
It can be. It all depends on the purpose one has in life. Is one’s purpose in life driven by the desire to achieve the holiness of Christian perfection by humbly serving the Lord, or is one’s purpose in life to be materially successful in the Kingdom of the World?

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”
Matt. 6:24

40.png
JimO:
I have some familiarity, my wife has read part of it, but I haven’t read it myself. I’m not aware of theological problems, but my wife’s reaction was that it was probably fine for someone who hasn’t done a lot of spiritual reading, but that there is Catholic reading material available that issues a much “deeper” call for holiness. One example is “Abandonment to Divine Providence” by Jean-Pierre de Caussade. Another is the daily devotional “In Conversation With God” (not to be confused with the New Age book “Conversations with God”) by Francis Fernandez.
I would just like to say that JimO has recommend two of the best things available for spiritual reading/direction. The Fernandez series is well worth the 100 bucks and Sophia Institute Press has a new translation of de Caussade that is very readable (though it might be abridged a little).

C

40.png
Fidelis:
Is anyone here familiar with book *The Purpose Driven Life * and the surrounding hoopla? From a Catholic perspective, is it problematic at all?
I asked a knowledgable and loyal Catholic about this, and she had read the book and found only nominal objections.
But getting spiritual revelation from a book sold en masse at warehouse stores, I dunno, seems a bit superficial to me…
Maybe I’m spoiled by the riches of our Church? 😛

I am reading The Purpose Driven Life at the moment, and have so far found it pretty good. It is certainly notabout having a successful career or anything like that. It is about surrendering one’s self to God, giving God thanks and praise for who he is, etc… The author is very positive about The Practice of the Presence of God, and recommends some of the exercises in that book. For a Protestant book, it is pretty good, I reckon. Especially since it is being read by people in the “health and wealth” churches; how many Catholic books about being docile to the spirit would be read there, I wonder?🙂

I shouldn’t worry about it, but I would have to agree with some of the previous posters; there is an awful lot of great *Catholic *devotional books out there!

My wife is about half-way through the book, and has found nothing seriously wrong with it from a Catholic perspective. It’s Christian and non-denominational. She says a lot of her friends (in a Catholic “MOMs” group) are reading it. Of course, it will avoid mentioning how the Church can help you, the Sacraments, etc. It contains nearly 1,000 Bible verses from 15 Bible translations including the NAB from Catholic Press (Chicago, 1970). I guess you just have to read it with a grain of Catholic salt! 😃

-JohnDeP

For those of you who have read the book, would you say that it represents a health and wealth gospel? Does it relay to the reader that ‘health’, and ‘success’ or material wealth is a reward for being a good Christian? Does it downplay the value of suffering? Does it make it seem that the ‘good Christian’ will not suffer…that he/she will always be happy?

These are just questions I have, since I didn’t read the book.

The Youth leader at our church actually gave it to me, funny enough. I have only gotten through five days of it cause I thought it was really cheesy. Maybe good for the new Christian. So far it is very obvious, like…God has a purpose, he loves you…
I hope it gets better.

I also think it is funny that this dude is making millions of dollars off this book off a topic that the Catholic church has known forever…LENT…40 days… It is funny cause all the protestants probably think…wow look at this new cool idea…hehehehe

I did read the book, because it was given to me as a gift. It did have some good messages, which we all need to be remineded of as often as possible:

***It’s not about ME

***It’s all about God (Love & worship)

***I’m here to serve others

***Evangelize!!!

***Live obediently

***Importance of having a faith community

***Try to grow to be like Christ

None of the main points were contrary to Catholic teaching, that I could tell. It did have a protestant slant, of course, and it did have some things that were contrary to Catholic teaching, such as James being Jesus’s brother, and some negative comments on rituals, which could be interpreted as anti-Catholic. But as long as you know your faith pretty well, it’s not going to be threatening. I think it would be a good idea for someone to write a Catholic commentary to the book, because there are so many Catholics reading the book (hey Karl Keating, are you reading this?).

Overall, to me, it was mid-way between spiritual and self-help. It did give me some good things to think about.

40.png
Jennifer123:
I asked a knowledgable and loyal Catholic about this, and she had read the book and found only nominal objections.
But getting spiritual revelation from a book sold en masse at warehouse stores, I dunno, seems a bit superficial to me…
Maybe I’m spoiled by the riches of our Church? 😛
A lot of churches have used it as a chance to have their congregation focus on renewal, and committment to God. My church will be going through it for 40 days, with people in smaller groups to discuss it weekly. I will probably be hosting a small group. I think the great thing about it is that in addition to the general messages given to anyone who reads it, the smaller-group stuff will really get people to think about how it applies to their life.

It looks like from all the posts that its pretty harmless book written by a baptist. But i wish more people would read deeper catholic books like books written by saints.

I had grand plans to read it daily during Lent but I found it so boring that I stopped a couple of weeks into it.

But no, nothing objectionable to Catholic teaching.

40.png
webdezyn:
It looks like from all the posts that its pretty harmless book written by a baptist. But i wish more people would read deeper catholic books like books written by saints.
I totally agree! 👍

I read The Purpose Driven Life after it was recommended in one of our RCIA sessions by one of the team leaders. I was curious about it since the candidates seemed very interested in it. I found it very basic but perhaps a reasonable starting point for a new Christian or someone who has been away from Church for awhile. It seems to point you in the right direction but lacked all the spiritual aides available to Catholics. I have used the series In Conversation with God by Francis Fernendez for years and like it very much. It is especially helpful since it follows the liturgical year of the Church and provides daily readings. I wish RCIA leaders weren’t so hesitant to recommend Catholic materials. It is almost like they are afraid that if they do the candidates will be offended and run. I don’t know why this would be so since the candidates came voluntarily to RCIA. I didn’t get much support from my fellow Catholics in the class when I recommended In Conversation with God.

nobody said:
***It’s not about ME

***It’s all about God (Love & worship)

***I’m here to serve others

***Evangelize!!!

***Live obediently

***Importance of having a faith community

***Try to grow to be like Christ

Overall, to me, it was mid-way between spiritual and self-help. It did give me some good things to think about.

From the posts it seems like we all pretty much agree it’s good for new Christians, etc. But, I just think that I personally don’t need much knowledge about God’s purpose for me b/c of the Church emphasis on vocations, which I think is lost in most Protestant denominations. I mean, my vocation, the one God is calling me to, is of wife and mother. To me - that’s my purpose and what else is there to know? :confused:
Anyone else feel like this?

*I mean, my vocation, the one God is calling me to, is of wife and mother. To me - that’s my purpose and what else is there to know? *

How to be a perfect wife and mother? 😉

Matt16_18 said:
*I mean, my vocation, the one God is calling me to, is of wife and mother. To me - that’s my purpose and what else is there to know? *

How to be a perfect wife and mother? 😉

Right 👍 Are there any books about the teaching of vocations and how to glorofy God through them? I’m thinking of Bl. Escriva?

I read it. It focuses on what your real purpose should be in life, which is loving and serving God. I read a chapter a day during lent. I didn’t find any contradictions. In fairness, I’m no scholar either.

]I read the book w/ a church group.
As soon as we finished, I sent it to a non-catholic who found very worth while…I did not.
I can’t for the life of me understand why it has stayed on the best seller list all these many months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back