The Purpose Driven Life

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our parish held a 40 Days of Purpose campaign this past Lent. I for one really enjoyed getting together with a group of couples whom I didn’t know and discussing the topics in the series. Interestingly we found a common interest in 1) rediscovering our faith together from several different angles (e.g. age, ethnicity, etc.) and 2) exploring the differences between Catholic and Protestant theology. This is not a huge deal in this particular series, but a few hidden gotchas (which I don’t even remember now) were brought up and discussed.

One interesting thing is that one of the purposes is “Discipleship” which refers to sanctification. This word means something different to a Protestant since the view of salvation itself is different. I mean why bother to strive to be like Christ if you are already “saved” and guaranteed a place in heaven? Just to get a larger piece of the pie there? As Catholics we believe that it’s because you can never be sure you are saved (Paul himself wasn’t absolutely sure and worked at doing what is needed to not be disqualified - 1 Cor. 9:27). Salvation is a gift and ever assuming you are going to get that gift is an offense to God. You need to continually work at it. Think of a marriage relationship.

So it all goes back to Faith Alone (Sola fide) or Faith plus Works. You have to believe and then live in accordance with that belief.

Anyhow, I would definitely recommend this work for anyone who wants to know how to live his/her life with his/her eyes on the goal of becoming and staying a child of God.

40.png
jpusateri:
As Catholics we believe that it’s because you can never be sure you are saved (Paul himself wasn’t absolutely sure and worked at doing what is needed to not be disqualified - 1 Cor. 9:27). Salvation is a gift and ever assuming you are going to get that gift is an offense to God. You need to continually work at it.QUOTE]

I would quible with you on this and say that as Catholics, we of course can not say we will definitely go to heaven at the end of our lives (final preserverance), which would be the sin of presumption, but we can have moral assurance at any one point in time if we are in a state of sanctifying grace.Which is why if we are conscious of mortal sin, we should get to a confessional right away. Part of the goal of working at our sanctification (developing the virtues and good moral habits through the help of the Holy Spirit) is to help keep us less likely to fall into mortal sin.The supernatural virtue of Hope assures us that God is faithful and will keep his promises if we persevere. 🙂

Fidelis,

Expressed beautifully. Please believe that I believe in what you written.

I was briefly mentioning the contrast between the Protestant view “once saved, always saved” and the Catholic view where you CAN lose salvation once you’ve been saved.

The Protestant view attempts to give assurance of salvation per 1 John 5:13 “I write these things to you so that you may know that you have eternal life, you who believe in the name of the Son of God”

But as you have explained, at any moment in time you may know you are saved, but NOT from that moment forward until the end of your life despite any action you take.

Catholic justification and sanctification are synonymous because we are continuously being infused with God’s grace during this process, giving us the power to resist temptation and become more Christ-like. Protestant sanctification is AFTER the event of (forensic) justification by faith and has nothing to do with whether you get into heaven or not.

There is SO much more to this that I am sure I haven’t stated everything in the best way. Many protestant doctrines are intertwined so that one incorrect thought leads to an equally incorrect conclusion and so on and on. I truly wish to learn more about the differences and similarities to, with the Grace of God, help heal some breaches. I pray for the grace to understand and the ability to explain them with gentleness and reverence.

Thank you for “quibbling” and allowing me to better explain!

I read it as part of a multidenominational discussion group. It’s best to read it on a chapter-by-chapter basis, not all at once, with discussion. I found nothing objectionable, but I found myself wanting to shout things like “yes, and the Catholic Church gives us the Eucharist!” or “yes, and the Saints are great examples!”.

In its flatness, it spotlighted the richness of Catholicism for me.

My heart is in the Catholic Church, but my family and I are still in the Protestant church. The church I go to just went through the series of the Purpose Driven Life. I went through it, and here is how I view it.

It was good in some ways even if you are a Catholic, but really great if you are a protestant. No different with most other things that come from protestants, as far as Catholics can get some nuggets of spirituality from a protestant teaching, but not anything that matches good Catholic teachings. But what I did think about the Purpose Driven Life was it was alot of “feel good” theology, which is good at times. But it was typical of some protestants mindsets of just praying a little prayer and “bif bang boom” your saved for life. But one good thing Rick Warren taught was something that all believers should realize is this, “Life is not about you.” But that is not anything you don;t get taught from good Catholic teachings.

Warren is a very untraditional pastor from a very untraditional church. And it was very obvious when he is in the pulpit wearing a short sleave shirt with flowers and palm trees on it. Though most of the Protestant “old” tradtionals are just only 50 to a 100 years old and do not have anything similar to Cathoic Tradition by any stretch of the imagination, even though some ol’ country back woods protestant churches thinks some of the ma and pa traditions come from the apostles, so they most likely would not like Warrens approach.

Conclusion: A Catholic might glean a few things from the “Purpose Driven Life” that are helpful, but stick to the teachings of the Catholic Church and you will find get all you need, and then some. There is no sense in riding the bicycle of the Protestant church when you can ride the Cadilac of the Catholic Church.

ppolz,

Like I said, the book is great if you are a protestant. And the nuggets of wisdom that is in it has nothing new to offer to Catholicism.

A very big reason why it is such a big selling book is because a new generation of protestantism is emerging, and it is a movement that is untraditional as far as protestantism is concerned. For so long now in protestant churches you have had the ol’ King James Version, old hymns, big pulpits, and 150 year old geasers teaching and preaching with nothing to offer to young adults and kids. And this Purpose Driven Life book is written in such a way by a very untraditional pastor(Rick Warren), in a very attractive modern way, with a theology that is good if you are a typical protestant who needs to be uplifted spiritually. It gives a protestant a good prospective about their spiritual life and how to serve God. It is very practical and easy to read.

Though I love the Catholic Church and believe all her teachings, I do want to give the Purpose Driven Life book credit where credit is due. The book is great if you are a protestant.

I don’t know if this is the appropriate thread to say this… I’m not saying the Purpose Driven Life is a masterpiece, but have you read Pope John Paul’s “Crossing the Threshold of Hope”? In response to the question, why divided (into so many Christian denominations)? An excerpt of the reply:

“There are two possible answers to this question. The more negative one would see in these divisions the bitter fruit of sins committed by Christians. The more positive answer is inspired by trust in the One who is capable of bringing forth good even from evil, from human weakness. Could it not be that these divisions have also been a path continually leading the Church to discover the untold wealth contained in Christ’s Gospel and in the redemption accomplished by Christ? Perhaps all this wealth would not have come to light otherwise.”

(The whole book is online at catholic.net)

This late at night, the best I can come up with is the old cliche of “don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater”… Learn anywhere you can, with your Catholic mind to guide you.

The book is generally good especially for people who are rediscovering God’s purpose for man’s existence. It even dwelled on discipleship and mission-readiness. However, as a Catholic, one must be aware for subtle doctrinal inserts contrary to our faith, such as:

Day 4 (p37): “While life on earth offers many choices, eternity offers only two: heaven or hell.”
  • the undertone is there is no purgatory
Day 11 (p85): “In Eden we see God’s ideal relationship with us: Adam and Eve enjoyed an intimate friendship with God. There were no rituals, ceremonies, or religion.”
  • a familiar Protestant stance thar “religion cannot save you.”
Day 23 (p183): “Christianity is not a religion or philosophy, but a relationship and a lifestyle.”
  • the author may wish to recall the meaning of true religion in Jas 1:27.
Day 24 (p186): “The Bible must become the authoritative standard for my life.”
  • For Catholics, it should be “Word of God” rather than Bible which has the color of “sola scriptura”.
Lines such as the citations may seem harmless except for the swipes (be they intentional or not). A Catholic, really, has to read it with discernment.

Kenosis,

Amen to that. You have recalled to mind some of those Catholic/protestant differences that I couldn’t.

In brief comment, though, purgatory isn’t really a choice and while living we really DO have 2 choices. So I don’t find a doctrinal rift here. Have I missed something really subtle?

And those others are right on. You need to have your filter in place.

Thanks!

I started reading The Purpose Driven Life on July 1, to celebrate & focus on my “spiritual birthday” of returning to active practice of my Catholic faith 5 years ago…when I heard the Lord call me, “come on down now to My Church” and I was basically 'born again" in my Catholic faith!

The book is based on a 40-day reflection, one chapter a day. I find it a simple approach to a complicated process (sanctification) and enjoy praying through it each day during my quiet time with the Lord each morning. On Day 3, I was asking the Lord to show me my purpose clearly, as it seemed easier to be working through the book “knowing” my purpose and applying each chapter/Scripture/meditation. My obvious thought was to love, worship, obey & serve God here on earth to spend eternity with Him in heaven…but to clarify that, the Holy Spirit filled me with a specific word for MY specific purpose:

“To live a joyful, authentically Catholic life for Jesus”

So I would agree with the person who posted something about getting spiritual truths where ever you can find them…this book has been in the right place for me this summer! I am your typical busy working mom stretched in many directions, but the idea of focusing on YOUR purpose when deciding on priorities, decisions, time, spending etc is a good way to focus on/p(name removed by moderator)oint your life. So I am trying to simplify things, and pray “Is this Joyful? Is this Catholic? Is this for Jesus?” and that shows me what is important or not in my daily life.

Today…quiet time with the Lord (YES)…daily Mass (YES)…grace before breakfast (YES)…happily greeting my children (YES)…being helpful to my husband during his day (YES)…being a pleasant, energetic worker at our business, cooking dinner, running errands, spending our paycheck (1st 10% for God, 10% for savings etc focus), making love with my husband,…all can be done for Jesus (read Practicing the Presence of God).

So YES, I am enjoying the book and the Holy Spirit is my partner in reading it and applying to my life!

I read this book just to see what the hoopla was all about. And, yes, there are plenty of Catholic books out there that would do the same thing for you and more.

I would like to point out that while the book lists a Catholic bible in its reference list, if you go through the actual references in the body of the book, the Catholic bible is never used. At least I found no uses.

If I overlooked it, could somebody give me a page number?

Thanks.

How about a little support for some Catholic books that do give a Catholic perspective?: The Drive Factor, The Mission of the Catholic Family: On the Pathway to Heaven, LifeWork: Finding Your Purpose in Life, The LifeWork Inventory, A Navigational Guide for the 7 Areas of Life That Matter Most, all by Rick Sarkisian, Ph.D. (available at www.lifeworkpress.com) and Time Management for Catholics by Dave Durand (available at Sophia Institute Press) are all good books. I’ve heard The Purpose Driven Life discussed on Catholic radio. If I remember correctly, the main point was that it doesn’t go far enough. For instance, it can’t address the assistance that the Sacraments provides a Catholic. I recommend the Catholic books listed above.

I received this book as a gift and am enjoying it. I was wondering if anyone picked up on the fact that if Rick Warren indeed has studied his Bible enough to understand the 1000 scriptures he quotes, that he may be on a journey to the Catholic Church? Indeed the only thing slowing his journey may be giving up his huge worldly success in the Protestant church. How can you write a chapter about us being in God’s family and not mention our mother or brothers and sisters the saints? He has to recognize this?

40.png
ckbrown:
Today…quiet time with the Lord (YES)…daily Mass (YES)…grace before breakfast (YES)…happily greeting my children (YES)…being helpful to my husband during his day (YES)…being a pleasant, energetic worker at our business, cooking dinner, running errands, spending our paycheck (1st 10% for God, 10% for savings etc focus), making love with my husband,…all can be done for Jesus (read Practicing the Presence of God).
Yes - this is what the “morning offering” prayer does, and I think also the work of Bl. Escriva of Opus Dei reflects on this as well, that all things, even the littlest things, can be done for the glory of God. St. Therese the little flower also comes to mind. So, my point is that the Church has already mined this field.
My husband, who is protestant, wants to read and study this with me. I made a deal, we can do the book if we can also dedicate a night (1-2hrs. max) a week to a Catholic devotional. Are there any Catholic books similar to this, an enriching study? ANy suggestions?

Interestlngly enough, I know of an entire Evangelical church that studied this book. They did a forty days thing…All sermons and all adult Sunday School classes, plus small groups, were “tuned in” so to speak…Copies were sold for just five bucks a piece, and if you didn’t have five bucks, you were simply given a copy…It was an exciting time for those who took part.

There are at least two serious flaws in the book (sorry I forgot the page numbers).
  1. The author says something along the lines of “be baptized. Baptism does not make you a member of God’s family, it shows that you are already a member of God’s family” (presumably after having recited the sinner’s prayer and "having accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior).
This directly contradicts the Apostolic teaching that Baptism does make us a member of the family of God, by washing away our original sin and granting us the grace of Justification (John 3:5; 1 Peter 3:21).
  1. It also gives the advice that “in every decision you make, the Bible must be the first and last word in your life” (or something along that line).
Of course, this is consistent with Sola Scriptura, but we know that the pillar and foundation of truth is the Church (1 Tim 3:15). The danger of this advice can go something like this:

What if a couple wants to plan their family (either to prevent pregnancy or achieve it)? Then they come across this advice about the Bible being the first and last word in their lives. So they go, “okay what does the Bible have to say about contraception/in-vitro fertilization/artificial insemination/surrogate motherhood?” and they won’t find any direct references to any of these issues. So they can probably conclude that it’s okay. But the Church condemns all of these as grave sins.

The book has lots of good stuff, especially about Christian relationships, but overall, there are lots of good Catholic books out there. Besides, I’m kinda suspicious of “religious” books backed up by a massive marketing machine; makes me doubt motive.

Not being a “Catholic” book and being a nondenominational book, it obviously wouldn’t give the Catholic viewpoint. There are many fine books sold for the “mass market” that are wonderful books, not the least being the Bible itself. Stop being so denominational If it ain’t catholic then it’s not worth your time and may have screwy theology, etc.) and answer the original question. The book is a good one and does not contain any major theological errors as far as Catholicism goes. And for anyone who has taken even a few seconds to read the dustjacket and flip through the book itself, the purpose-driven life has God for its purpose.

40.png
BonnieBj:
Not being a “Catholic” book and being a nondenominational book, it obviously wouldn’t give the Catholic viewpoint. There are many fine books sold for the “mass market” that are wonderful books, not the least being the Bible itself. Stop being so denominational If it ain’t catholic then it’s not worth your time and may have screwy theology, etc.) and answer the original question. The book is a good one and does not contain any major theological errors as far as Catholicism goes. And for anyone who has taken even a few seconds to read the dustjacket and flip through the book itself, the purpose-driven life has God for its purpose.
Screwy theology translates to heresy. While this book may not present ‘major’ theological errors, as you stated, it may present ‘minor’ errors, correct? If so, then these errors do not present truth, but error. Some of the heresies of the early Christian days would seem ‘minor’ to some, and did indeed seem so to some who believed the errors. But some of those disputes were extremely important, whether they appeared so on the surface or not. It wasn’t about ‘majority of opinion’, but the Truth of Christ Himself, which was reinforced by the Church He established.
So, it depends on the subject as to whether or not it’s something ‘minor’ or not.

“And for anyone who has taken even a few seconds to read the dustjacket and flip through the book itself, the purpose-driven life has God for its purpose.”

–Lots of books present God as their purpose, but aren’t necessarily correct…some far from it. The Q’uran, the Book of Mormon, etc.

I’m not attacking the book here, I’m just trying to show that not all ‘minor’ theological errors or contradiction is harmless, nor present
truth. .

The Bible, though widely read by the masses, is just as widely
misinterpreted. The proof of that is shown in the amount of Protestant denominations.

I, myself, have not read the book (The Purpose Driven Life). I really don’t have an interest in it. However, I’d like to ask this question in response to your statement, “Stop being so denominational If it ain’t catholic then it’s not worth your time…”

–The question is whether or not most Protestants would be interested in reading a Catholic book presenting Catholic theology and doctrines? And, depending on the answer, and using the same line of thinking, 'if it doesn’t present ‘screwy theology’, then why not?

Catholics (as well as all Christians) have an obligation to be weary of false theology and teachings. We depend on the Church
as a guide to Truth, as Christ taught and gave to us. Without a guide, any one individual can be swayed to believe false theology and doctrines by books which are widely or not-so-widely read. It’s a matter of discretion, not discrimination.

40.png
BonnieBj:
Screwy theology translates to heresy. While this book may not present ‘major’ theological errors, as you stated, it may present ‘minor’ errors, correct? If so, then these errors do not present truth, but error. Some of the heresies of the early Christian days would seem ‘minor’ to some, and did indeed seem so to some who believed the errors. But some of those disputes were extremely important, whether they appeared so on the surface or not. It wasn’t about ‘majority of opinion’, but the Truth of Christ Himself, which was reinforced by the Church He established.
So, it depends on the subject/doctrine as to whether or not it’s something ‘minor’ or not.

“And for anyone who has taken even a few seconds to read the dustjacket and flip through the book itself, the purpose-driven life has God for its purpose.”

–Lots of books present God as their purpose, but aren’t necessarily correct…some far from it. The Q’uran, the Book of Mormon, etc.

I’m not attacking the book here, I’m just trying to show that not all ‘minor’ theological errors or contradiction is harmless, nor present
truth. .

I, myself, have not read the book. I really don’t have an interest in it for no particular reason. However, I’d like to ask this question in response to your statement, “Stop being so denominational If it ain’t catholic then it’s not worth your time…”
The question is whether or not most Protestants would be interested in reading a Catholic book presenting Catholic theology and doctrines?

Catholics (as well as all Christians) have an obligation to be weary of false theology and teachings. We depend on the Church
as a guide to Truth, as Christ taught and gave to us. Without a guide, anyone can be swayed to believe false theology and doctrines by books which are widely or not-so-widely read. It’s
a matter of discretion, not discrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back