The Purpose Driven Life

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is some truth in what you are both saying.
Stop being so denominational If it ain’t catholic then it’s not worth your time and may have screwy theology, etc.)
I can agree with because there is value in understanding rival viewpoints. (I use the word “rival” intentionally, because we are not enemies, but rivals - we both can’t be right, but the goal is to get to heaven, not beat the other guy, as is the case with enemies)

Knowledge of Protestant doctrinal differences can better illuminate our own. Many doctrines were officially defined because of rival heretical ideas at the time. (“defined” is not to be confused with “made up”)
Catholics (as well as all Christians) have an obligation to be weary (sic) of false theology and teachings. We depend on the Church as a guide to Truth, as Christ taught and gave to us. Without a guide, anyone can be swayed to believe false theology and doctrines by books which are widely or not-so-widely read. It’s
a matter of discretion, not discrimination.
Truly and well stated!

Since that is true, I would not recommend TPDL as a doctrinal source, nor for new believers. However, the errors are pretty minor (meaning large enough to hurt your toe, but not trip you completely) and fairly subtle. I understand that all errors are wrong, but we live in a fallen world. The wheat and the tares grow together. It is PART of our mission to develop ourselves through the Grace of God to discern the difference. Our sanctification is, in part, to grow in the understanding of the truth and our ability to tell what is true and what is not.

So, let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater, eh?

Peace be unto you.

I read the book. Because of the doctrinal errors, I would not reccommend the book for Catholics unsure of their faith. Because of its lack of depth, I would not recommend it for mature Catholics. BTW my protestant friend and I read it together. She found it rather simplistic also. So my recommendation is for NEW protestant Christians and that’s about it.

I stumbled across an evangelical radio station today and they were discussing “40 Days of Purpose”…and they did not like it! They were ripping it up one side and down the other. I caught the tail end of the discussion, but what I heard in it was that there was concern that it did not square with the “Word of God” and that it was about “Church Growth” and nothing more. I wish I could have heard the whole discussion. Anyway…they were ticked!!

Thank you all,

For your replies about R. W.'s PDL book. I do imagine that it has been discussed a lot. I will soon find my way around this forum . Suzy

🙂

Hi and Welcome,

Looks like you’re already navigating pretty well.

(I think this topic was started recently in another thread, so obviously that person wasn’t as savvy as you 😉 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back