try to deliver this child surgically, alive if we can, and give it at least some chance at survival?
Thank you, I think you touch on something very important here. Let’s say you have a pregnancy which is threatening the life of the mother. What is the earliest point at which the fetus is viable? Or let’s say the fetus has to be “born” before viability. Could artificial wombs ever be developed to accommodate human fetuses? Possible to transplant the fetus into a host “mother” where it could continue growing, a surrogate of sorts? I realize all of this smacks of
Brave New World, but I am just trying to find a way to save the baby’s life,
as well as the life of the mother — possible ways for medical science to progress in accord with Catholic principles.
This opens the dilemma of “is it better to have a child be born prematurely and possibly end up handicapped, with its natural mother allowed to live, or is it better to have the child born normal and healthy, but have the mother to die in the process?”. I have to think any mother would prefer to give up her life, as St Gianna Molla did, but there could be circumstances where the mother “has to live” if at all possible — sole support of her children, leaving the children (including the one being born) without a mother, whatever. I am going to take “hands off” at that point. There are any number of scenarios.