A
Annie
Guest
Wow, I said something you agree with… I’m stunned!The good answer has finally arrived. Cheers!
Wow, I said something you agree with… I’m stunned!The good answer has finally arrived. Cheers!
Indeed, I did not remember that specific example. Not, that it matters. And it has not been resolved either. So the problem is even simpler.You should really try to not contradict your earlier assertions.
So… yeah: you talk about blowing up the neighborhood.
Indeed.Indeed, I did not remember that specific example. Not, that it matters.
Some would say that this is a contrived scenario.Before the experiment is finished, you have the ONLY opportunity to take a gun to shoot that child.
If only.If only “others” would learn from this mistake.And would admit their error.
That’s not a realistic example. A 3000 person cruise ship crashing into a 300 person building does not require action. The building would most like be able to be vacated in time. And even if it wasn’t, a 3000 person cruise ship crashing into a building holding 300 people would not automatically result in all 3000 people dying.I can do the math. Ok, say it’s reversed, a 3000 person cruise ship is hijacked and going to destroy a 300 person building. What then?
It is acceptable to perform an operation, such as a salpingectomy to remove a portion of the fallopian tube, if the death of the child regrettably takes place as a side-effect of the operation, and is not directly caused or willed. In the case of a salpingectomy, the child is embedded in the tube and its growth will eventually rupture the tube, causing an immediate threat to the life of the mother. In most cases, the child is already dead, but even if it is not, the portion of the tube can still be removed.My understanding of Catholic teaching is that it is acceptable to save the life of the mother if both will otherwise die (for instance, an ectopic pregnancy.) But ‘life’ and ‘health’ of the mother has been watered down by law and public conscience to the point of ‘it would cause problems’ is now ‘health.’
Perhaps we are peaking of the same thing, or perhaps talking past one another. I equate lack of culpability as being innocent’ how do you define them?Still the wrong analysis, I think. The point that we’re getting stuck on is culpability , not innocence .
I would answer that the teachings of the Church cover the right of a person to self-defense (or defense of one who is threatened) against an aggressor who is not culpable of his acts of aggression.
The question is different. If it is acceptable to use lethal force against an intentional wrongdoer, then why is it unacceptable to use it against an unintentional causative agent? The ONLY difference between the two scenarios is the intent and the lack of it. There is no other difference.Yet, it does matter! The entire question revolves around a particular issue: does one act morally when he murders innocents in order that some good result might thereby occur?
I guess I have to repeat: “In a thought experiment ONLY the logically impossible states of affairs are excluded.” Everything else is just an evasion. In a sense it is almost comical how hard you guys wish to evade analyzing the ethical problem. Well, it would be comical, if it would not be so sad.Neither scenario, as stated, necessarily requires the use of lethal force.
I am equally amused and bemused by the almost total lack of understanding of hypotheticals. I think that many on this forum would struggle at even an intro lecture into psychology. They would need to do an intro into the intro so that the useages of hypotheticals could be explained.otjm:![]()
I guess I have to repeat: “In a thought experiment ONLY the logically impossible states of affairs are excluded.” Everything else is just an evasion. In a sense it is almost comical how hard you guys wish to evade analyzing the ethical problem. Well, it would be comical, if it would not be so sad.Neither scenario, as stated, necessarily requires the use of lethal force.
Indeed. But to do that would require a desire to learn new things, to extend their horizons. But the case here is really worrisome. To decline even the analysis of a question is really astonishing. After all it is really improbable (but NOT impossible) that such a scenario would come up in real life.I am equally amused and bemused by the almost total lack of understanding of hypotheticals. I think that many on this forum would struggle at even an intro lecture into psychology. They would need to do an intro into the intro so that the useages of hypotheticals could be explained.
I remember my wife complaining to me about the use of hypothetical situations some time back. So I asked her: ‘So if I were to ask you a hypothetical question, would you answer it?’ She answered ‘No’. Which had me giggling all day.
Those who don’t get it, go do some reading on the matter.
Beats me. I would have thought that an opportunity to know more about oneself (would you pull the lever/throw the switch/redirect the plane) and then to actively search for the reasons why we do what we do would be an opportunity to grow.Freddy:![]()
Indeed. But to do that would require a desire to learn new things, to extend their horizons. But the case here is really worrisome. To decline even the analysis of a question is really astonishing. After all it is really improbable (but NOT impossible) that such a scenario would come up in real life.I am equally amused and bemused by the almost total lack of understanding of hypotheticals. I think that many on this forum would struggle at even an intro lecture into psychology. They would need to do an intro into the intro so that the useages of hypotheticals could be explained.
I remember my wife complaining to me about the use of hypothetical situations some time back. So I asked her: ‘So if I were to ask you a hypothetical question, would you answer it?’ She answered ‘No’. Which had me giggling all day.
Those who don’t get it, go do some reading on the matter.
But it takes a lot of courage to expose one’s CORE beliefs to examination. To really ASK: “but what if I am wrong?”Beats me. I would have thought that an opportunity to know more about oneself (would you pull the lever/throw the switch/redirect the plane) and then to actively search for the reasons why we do what we do would be an opportunity to grow.
Good summary.What these problems are designed to do is this:
Offer a moral problem.
See which option people would more likely take.
Find out why they actually chose as they did.
Debate the morality of the choice.
Fine tune the problem to see if answers change.
What we actually get is:
Offer a moral problem.
Spend a few days explaining how hypotheticals work.
Wade through umpteen posts saying what the catechism/the bible/a theologian says what we should do.
Read a myriad posts avoiding giving any answer at all.
Give up and go for a beer.
Fortunately it is not an either/or problem.I’m going for a beer.
This is the point that gets denied or declared incorrect. No analysis of the actual scenario. The Catholic approach is this: “If the lethal danger comes from intentional and malicious actions, then you are allowed to use lethal defense - if there is no other possibility.” Perfectly sensible, of curse.The best kinds of dilemmas put two BASIC principles against each other. In this one, the principles are this:
The “beauty” of these scenarios is that these principles can contradict each other in perfectly possible, though unlikely circumstances. But that is what thought experiments should do. Allow us to examine ourselves in extreme circumstances.
- Self defense / the defense of others is a BASIC concept.
- Killing others is bad. Also a basic concept.
Of course most people are scared to examine their own basic ethical systems. The question: “But what if I am WRONG?” is a scary one. And it is twice as scary, the basic system is AUTHORITY driven. Because in that case you are required to question the AUTHORITY!! And if that authority is God - in reality or allegedly - then it takes tremendous courage to question that “authority”.
This is why almost all the answers concentrated on finding an excuse of avoiding the problem altogether.
Good question.I equate lack of culpability as being innocent’ how do you define them?
That isn’t a “contradiction”, it’s a “conflict”. And conflicts can be resolved.The “beauty” of these scenarios is that these principles can contradict each other in perfectly possible, though unlikely circumstances.
Agreed. Thought experiments tend to probe boundary cases, where the normal considerations are stretched beyond normal tolerances. We test them to see where they break.But that is what thought experiments should do. Allow us to examine ourselves in extreme circumstances.
And, if your “basic ethical system” proceeds from you, as an individual, then the potential for being wrong is scary! On the other hand, if your ethical system proceeds from a deity who is all-good, all-knowing, and all-loving… then believing in that deity and that deity’s ethical system isn’t scary at all – it’s comforting!Of course most people are scared to examine their own basic ethical systems. The question: “But what if I am WRONG?” is a scary one.
So… if God is actually “God”, and therefore, omni- and omni- and omni… then from which basis are you suggesting you’re wiser, such that your questions trump his authority?And if that authority is God - in reality or allegedly - then it takes tremendous courage to question that “authority”.
Nah. Not an excuse… rather, an explanation of why the questions aren’t well-founded.This is why almost all the answers concentrated on finding an excuse of avoiding the problem altogether.