P
prometheus1
Guest
I do not know if this is the right forum in which to post this…if it is not, please accept my apologies, I am new here.
Sunday is the first day of the week, of that, I am sure we can all agree. So, that would mean the seventh, is Saturday. surely this means that the Sabbath should be on a Saturday…or am I missing an obvious point?
I know that the Christians were persecuted by the Romans, and this may have been the reason for changing it, after all the Romans venerated Sunday to worship…you guessed it, the Sun.
This is all well and good…but:
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labour and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (NAS, Exodus 20:8-11)
Now I am confused…is the Bible … dare I utter this on a Catholic forum? … wrong?
I read some writings by The Rev, M Muller (his ‘Explanation of Catholic Doctrine’)…and in it he states, ‘‘The doctrines of the Catholic Church are entirely independent of the Holy Scripture’’…now I am getting more and more confused.
Then I read Decretal de Tranlatic Episcop: "The Pope has the power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ. The Pope has the authority and has often exercised it, to dispense with the command of Christ’’.
This is really confusing me now…I am only a dumb guy who is fascinated by your religion and faith…surely Christ’s authority is absolute…how can the Pope alter it?
Sunday is the first day of the week, of that, I am sure we can all agree. So, that would mean the seventh, is Saturday. surely this means that the Sabbath should be on a Saturday…or am I missing an obvious point?
I know that the Christians were persecuted by the Romans, and this may have been the reason for changing it, after all the Romans venerated Sunday to worship…you guessed it, the Sun.
This is all well and good…but:
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labour and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (NAS, Exodus 20:8-11)
Now I am confused…is the Bible … dare I utter this on a Catholic forum? … wrong?
I read some writings by The Rev, M Muller (his ‘Explanation of Catholic Doctrine’)…and in it he states, ‘‘The doctrines of the Catholic Church are entirely independent of the Holy Scripture’’…now I am getting more and more confused.
Then I read Decretal de Tranlatic Episcop: "The Pope has the power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ. The Pope has the authority and has often exercised it, to dispense with the command of Christ’’.
This is really confusing me now…I am only a dumb guy who is fascinated by your religion and faith…surely Christ’s authority is absolute…how can the Pope alter it?