The Seal of Virginity

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faith1960
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying Jesus’ placenta and umbilical cord disappeared when he was born? If not, where did it go?
As light passes through glass, so Jesus passed through the physical barrier at birth. It’s that simple. God from God, light from light, true God from true God, as it were.

Jimmy Akin is wrong on the issue. The Early Church Father’s are correct. If I quoted the Early Church Fathers, people would just say that I don’t understand what they say or that they don’t say what they actually say or that the words mean something that they don’t really mean, and the same people would go on believing what they want to believe.

-Tim-
 
As light passes through glass, so Jesus passed through the physical barrier at birth. It’s that simple. God from God, light from light, true God from true God, as it were.

Jimmy Akin is wrong on the issue. The Early Church Father’s are correct. If I quoted the Early Church Fathers, people would just say that I don’t understand what they say or that they don’t say what they actually say or that the words mean something that they don’t really mean, and the same people would go on believing what they want to believe.

-Tim-
Can you reference a few of the quotes anyway just for those who would listen? I’m curious to see them.
 
Yes, I do believe this is the mainstream viewpoint

Here is the catholic answers radio link I mentioned earlier where Jimmy Akin discussed this.

catholic.com/radio/shows/open-forum-11037#

Listen to at least 25:00-37:00ish

He handles two calls. The first about Mary experiencing pain of childbirth where he says exactly what I said earlier regarding Genesis 3. That the pain would be magnified not created.

He then goes on to say the perpetual virginity dogma is not defined as how and exiting through the birth canal is a viable choice.
Thanks for the link. If I’m understanding Jimmy Akin, the whole thing about whether Jesus passed through the birth canal like all other babies or not is up for debate…some say no, some say yes, but it’s not Catholic dogma to believe one over the other. Right?
 
As light passes through glass, so Jesus passed through the physical barrier at birth. It’s that simple. God from God, light from light, true God from true God, as it were.

Jimmy Akin is wrong on the issue. The Early Church Father’s are correct. If I quoted the Early Church Fathers, people would just say that I don’t understand what they say or that they don’t say what they actually say or that the words mean something that they don’t really mean, and the same people would go on believing what they want to believe.

-Tim-
You mean He was born, exactly how? Please be more specific. When you say He passed through the “physical barrier at birth” tells me He was born via Mary’s birth canal but her hymen remained intact.
 
Thanks for the link. If I’m understanding Jimmy Akin, the whole thing about whether Jesus passed through the birth canal like all other babies or not is up for debate…some say no, some say yes, but it’s not Catholic dogma to believe one over the other. Right?
That’s correct.

Despite the fact that there are some “Popes” here on this board that declare their own dogma, or others who attribute infallibility to every breath the church fathers utter (other than the lines where they disagree with the church fathers of course).

The dogma is that Mary was always a virgin. The how is not defined.

If God can pass via a beam of light through Mary’s abdomen, He can certainly preserve her virginity through the natural birth process.

My issue with the light beam theory is it takes much away from both Jesus’ humanity, which is essential to our faith as well as Takes away from Mary’s roll as mother. Making her more of an adoptive parent than the true physical mother if God in the line of David. Born the same as every other member of the line of David.
 
Can you reference a few of the quotes anyway just for those who would listen? I’m curious to see them.
All you could want at motherofallpeoples.com/2012/10/marys-miraculous-birth-of-jesus-the-catholic-churchs-perennial-tradition/
You mean He was born, exactly how? Please be more specific. When you say He passed through the “physical barrier at birth” tells me He was born via Mary’s birth canal but her hymen remained intact.
She was physically intact before and after the birth of Jesus. Her physical integrity is perpetual. It is a miracle. Miracles can’t be explained.

-Tim-
 
Jon S.

You brought up Jimmy Akin and his response in your post 61.

All Jimmy Akin was talking about the Blessed Virgin Mary’s as having “pain” when delivering Jesus and said doctrine is not clearly defined on this. Akin also commented on the Protoevangelium of James.

Akin only had two brief comments upon what we are discussing here (Mary’s in partu inviolability or the fact the Mary remained a Virgin DURING birth).

**
Both times, Jimmy Akin AFFIRMED just what we are talking about**. Here is exactly what Akin said regarding this (bold and ul mine) . . . .

Jimmy Akin “But what the Church teaches, is that is the preservation of Her (the Blessed Virgin Mary’s) virginity before, during, and after Christ’s birth. That’s a separate question than ‘did she (the Blessed Virgin Mary) have pain at any point.”—Jimmy Akin. Time–29:28-29:38 (here)

Jimmy Akin “What the Church as I said, does teach, is the Perpetual Virginity of Mary before, during, and after the birth. Exactly how that’s to be understood is something theologians have different proposals about.” —Jimmy Akin. Time–35:05-35:18 (here)

The Protoevangelium of James (“Protoevangelium”) is not my authority for any of this (you will notice I never once appealed to the Protoevangelium of James).

Are some things correct in the “Protoevangelium”? Certainly. Are some things incorrect? I’ve read it and think some of it is good and some is not so good.

The “Protoevangelium” may have been an attempt by someone in the second century to pen what was already accepted Church Tradition at the time. But the Protoevangelium (of James) is certainly not inspired and the “Protoevangelium” does have “issues” (which I won’t get into here).

The whole “sordes” criticism Fr. Jaki made, had in part to do with just this topic—the “Protoevangelium” and its “sordes”. But I didn’t get into the details of it in my prior posts here nor will I at this point.

Also that was St. Jerome’s criticism of WHY he did not accept the “Protoevangelium of James” too (because of the “sordes” or profane aspects of certain passages).

Nothing Akin said in any of his comments that you cited contradicts anything from the Church’s catechetical works, the ancient Church Fathers, the papal statements, or anything else that I cited. Nothing.

On the aspect of “pain” during the Blessed Virgin Mary’s delivery and how forceful or lack of force the Church has or hasn’t been on this issue, I won’t get into here.

Why? Because there is too much difficulty getting past the in partu inviolability aspect of Mary’s Perpetual Virginity (here). It would only detract from the issue we are directly discussing. The issue of course is “the seal of virginity” in the context of the Birth of Jesus and how that impacts/doesn’t impact the Blessed Virgin Mary.
 
Jon S. You said,
Genesis 3. That the pain would be magnified not created.
As I said, I am not using Genesis 3 to DEFEND the Blessed Virgin’s in partu inviolability (I use other quotes to do that). I merely used it as a “how much more fitting” argument. This is an a fortiori argument, not a proof.

The Church gives a better insight than I can. Here it is . . .

ROMAN CATECHISM The Virgin Mother we may also compare to Eve, making the second Eve, that is, Mary, correspond to the first, as we have already shown that the second Adam, that is, Christ, corresponds to the first Adam. . . . . To Eve it was said: In sorrow shalt thou bring forth children. Mary was exempt from this law, for preserving her virginal integrity inviolate she brought forth Jesus the Son of God without experiencing, as we have already said, any sense of pain.

You are making a big deal about HOW the birth of Jesus occurred (in a clinical sense).

Nobody here is saying HOW it occurred.

I am only saying HOW it DIDN’T OCCUR. Jesus birth DIDN’T OCCUR the same way as everyone else’s birth. OK? That is part of WHY it is a “great sign”.

We don’t get the “details” of such sublime things.

We don’t get the “details” on many things. The actual Incarnation event we don’t get details on except “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us”. We don’t get the details on HOW Jesus Resurrected. We don’t get the details on HOW Jesus went through walls or how when WE have Resurrected bodies, we will.

But we DO KNOW that whatever the “details” are (which we are not privy to and might NEVER be privy—ever) the Blessed Virgin Mary miraculously REMAINED A VIRGIN IN CHILDBIRTH.

That’s the point.

POPE PAUL VI (Vatican website here) “Therefore, the life of Joseph’s pure spouse, who remained a virgin “during childbirth and after childbirth” - as the Catholic Church has always believed and professed (31) and as was fitting for her who was raised to the incomparable dignity of divine motherhood(32)" — Pope Paul VI Apostolic Exhortation Signum Magnum. 1967

POPE PAUL VI “14. We believe that Mary is the Mother, who remained ever a Virgin, of the Incarnate Word, our God and Savior Jesus Christ,(13) and that by reason of this singular election, she was, in consideration of the merits of her Son, redeemed in a more eminent manner,(14) preserved from all stain of original sin(15) and filled with the gift of grace more than all other creatures.(16)”—Credo of the People of God. 1968 here

Let’s go back to the Roman Catechism (or “The Catechism of the Council of Trent”)

ROMAN CATECHISM In The Incarnation Some Things Were Natural, Others Supernatural

In this mystery we perceive that some things were done which transcend the order of nature, some by the power of nature. Thus, in believing that the body of Christ was formed from the most pure blood of His Virgin Mother we acknowledge the operation of human nature, this being a law common to the formation of all human bodies, that they should be formed from the blood of the mother.

Objection: That Roman Catechism quote concerns the Incarnation, NOT the Virginal Birth!

Answer: Yep. Now let’s go to the portion just a couple of paragraphs or so later and see what the Roman Catechism says about Christ’s birth and how it compares to the Conception of Jesus at the time of the Incarnation and remember “Some Things Were Natural, Others Supernatural” (bold and ul will be mine) . . .

**
ROMAN CATECHISM ** The Nativity Of Christ Transcends The Order Of Nature

But as the Conception itself transcends the order of nature, so also the birth of our Lord
presents to our contemplation nothing but what is divine.

Besides, what is admirable beyond the power of thoughts or words to express, He is born of His Mother without any diminution of her maternal virginity,** just as He afterwards went forth from the sepulchre while it was closed and sealed, and entered the room in which His disciples were assembled, the doors being shut; or, not to depart from every-day examples, just as the rays of the sun penetrate without breaking or injuring in the least the solid substance of glass, so after a like but more exalted manner did Jesus Christ come forth from His mother’s womb without injury to her maternal virginity.** This immaculate and perpetual virginity forms, therefore, the just theme of our eulogy. Such was the work of the Holy Ghost, who at the Conception and birth of the Son so favoured the Virgin Mother as to impart to her fecundity while preserving inviolate her perpetual virginity.

Jon S. You said:
My issue with the light beam theory is it takes much away from both Jesus’ humanity, which is essential to our faith as well as Takes away from Mary’s roll as mother.
Earlier in the thread, I gave you a direct quote of Pope John Paul II who HIMSELF was quoting the early Church. Now I am adding a direct quote from the Roman Catechism as well. The “beam of light” isn’t meant to be a physics treatise but rather telling us something is occurring above nature here.

This is not my mere opinion Jon S. I am just enunciating the teachings of the Church.

Jimmy Akin knows of the impartu inviolability of Mary and he is not denying this doctrine. All Jimmy is saying is we don’t know the DETAILS of HOW this supernatural event occurred. I agree. We don’t know HOW.
 
Catholholic, I think everyone appreciates your replies. I honestly think the only thing that separates the two sides of this debate is the definition of the word virginity.

Let us all not lose sight of what is important
 
Jon S.

You brought up Jimmy Akin and his response in your post 61.

All Jimmy Akin was talking about the Blessed Virgin Mary’s as having “pain” when delivering Jesus and said doctrine is not clearly defined on this. Akin also commented on the Protoevangelium of James.

Akin only had two brief comments upon what we are discussing here (Mary’s in partu inviolability or the fact the Mary remained a Virgin DURING birth).

**
Both times, Jimmy Akin AFFIRMED just what we are talking about**. Here is exactly what Akin said regarding this (bold and ul mine) . . . .

Jimmy Akin “But what the Church teaches, is that is the preservation of Her (the Blessed Virgin Mary’s) virginity before, during, and after Christ’s birth. That’s a separate question than ‘did she (the Blessed Virgin Mary) have pain at any point.”—Jimmy Akin. Time–29:28-29:38 (here)

Jimmy Akin “What the Church as I said, does teach, is the Perpetual Virginity of Mary before, during, and after the birth. Exactly how that’s to be understood is something theologians have different proposals about.” —Jimmy Akin. Time–35:05-35:18 (here)

The Protoevangelium of James (“Protoevangelium”) is not my authority for any of this (you will notice I never once appealed to the Protoevangelium of James).

Are some things correct in the “Protoevangelium”? Certainly. Are some things incorrect? I’ve read it and think some of it is good and some is not so good.

The “Protoevangelium” may have been an attempt by someone in the second century to pen what was already accepted Church Tradition at the time. But the Protoevangelium (of James) is certainly not inspired and the “Protoevangelium” does have “issues” (which I won’t get into here).

The whole “sordes” criticism Fr. Jaki made, had in part to do with just this topic—the “Protoevangelium” and its “sordes”. But I didn’t get into the details of it in my prior posts here nor will I at this point.

Also that was St. Jerome’s criticism of WHY he did not accept the “Protoevangelium of James” too (because of the “sordes” or profane aspects of certain passages).

Nothing Akin said in any of his comments that you cited contradicts anything from the Church’s catechetical works, the ancient Church Fathers, the papal statements, or anything else that I cited. Nothing.

On the aspect of “pain” during the Blessed Virgin Mary’s delivery and how forceful or lack of force the Church has or hasn’t been on this issue, I won’t get into here.

Why? Because there is too much difficulty getting past the in partu inviolability aspect of Mary’s Perpetual Virginity (here). It would only detract from the issue we are directly discussing. The issue of course is “the seal of virginity” in the context of the Birth of Jesus and how that impacts/doesn’t impact the Blessed Virgin Mary.
I appreciate your detailed replies but at this point it seems we are talking passed each other.

I hold Jimmy Akins view as best as I can tell from the interview.

I believe Mary was always a virgin

I believe the birth of Christ did not affect her virginity

I believe like you the Protoevangelium of James has pluses and minuses.

Where it seems we differ is where we are allowed to differ. The how.

You believe in a very “miraculous” birth where Jesus transposed himself from the womb.

I believe he was born naturally as humans are since he came to be human.

I already articulated why I hold my position but will share or again.

Quote:
My issue with the light beam theory is it takes much away from both Jesus’ humanity, which is essential to our faith as well as Takes away from Mary’s roll as mother.

And that, despite your dogmatic opposition. Is perfectly in line with our faith
 
Hello Jon S.

Sorry if I came across as a “pope”. I certainly didn’t mean to.

You are doing good work Jon S.

You are talking about asking questions . . .
Yes, I will ask, it came up once before around Christmas as one of the lay catechists said that Mary did not give birth Jesus just appeared, and people started to question, and it just got deflected to not derail the class.
You are talking about doing research . . . .
I think I will try and call in on Catholic Answers Live on Thursday to ask Jimmy Akin about this. If I can’t on Thursday I will next Tuesday for the Open Forum.
Jon S. I am glad you are coming into the Church (“Religion: Catholic Candidate”). I am glad you are a Catholic. You are going to do great things for the Church Jon S.

I hope some of my Protestant family members come across guys like you. You will help them greatly. I’ve seen many of your posts and they are excellent.

You have an amazing level of knowledge and catechesis not just for a catechumen, but for an old-timer as well.

Keep up the great work Jon S and welcome home.

God bless.

Cathoholic
 
Hello Jon S.

Sorry if I came across as a “pope”. I certainly didn’t mean to.

You are doing good work Jon S.

You are talking about asking questions . . .

You are talking about doing research . . . .

Jon S. I am glad you are coming into the Church (“Religion: Catholic Candidate”). I am glad you are a Catholic. You are going to do great things for the Church Jon S.

I hope some of my Protestant family members come across guys like you. You will help them greatly. I’ve seen many of your posts and they are excellent.

You have an amazing level of knowledge and catechesis not just for a catechumen, but for an old-timer as well.

Keep up the great work Jon S and welcome home.

God bless.

Cathoholic
Thanks!

I am in no way offended, I was perhaps frustrated, that it seemed we were talking past each other. I perhaps did not articulate well that I believe Mary was miraculously a virgin her whole life. I still don’t think childbirth has a bearing on virginity, but if it did, God preserved her virginity miraculously, whether it be by having Jesus transfer from the womb in a flash, or whether the virginity was miraculously preserved through natural childbirth .

I will let you know if the RCIA director has any new insights.

I love coming home to the Catholic Church…it is a real miracle in my life that it has occurred and I love all I have learned and continue to learn from everyone here.

It’s a great community here on the forums!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top