J
JHow
Guest
I’m just glad no one’s trying to do the “holy kiss”.
Actually I’m sort of in agreement with you particularly when speaking about the solemn moments of the Mass.It’s sandwiched in between two solemn moments in the Mass. That’s why I find it awkward. they should move it… to the parking lot![]()
After the priest has said, “The Mass is Ended”?I mean if it was placed at the end of the Mass would it make the symbolic gesture any less meaningful?
Peace
Chris
Amen to that.Count yourself blessed.
As an Eastern Rite person who occasions the Mass, I get into a prayerful ‘zone’ before going up to receive the Eucharist. I have finally focused on the Lord in spite of all my roaming thoughts of family, neighbors, work and troubles. To have to come out of the ‘zone’ to acknowledge every person around me is disruptive and penitential. If the Peace of Christ was at the beginning of the Mass, it would make more sense to an introvert like myself. I have to deal with family and foe 7 days a week! Can’t I have a few minutes to put the image of Christ Crucified into my mind before going up to receive Him?It’s **sandwiched in between two solemn moments in the Mass. **That’s why I find it awkward. they should move it… to the parking lot![]()
I didn’t say after the Mass is Ended but before the final closing prayer.After the priest has said, “The Mass is Ended”?
We have around 30 people at each Mass receive Eucharist - and then they continue to walk - right out to their cars.
This used to happen at my parish too but far less now because my parish priest took the guts to speak about this during several homilies.We have around 30 people at each Mass receive Eucharist - and then they continue to walk - right out to their cars.
Actually I’ve seen people kiss, but I think it’s man and wife, so not really so holy.I’m just glad no one’s trying to do the “holy kiss”.
That’s true, but our Bishop was most anxious to see it reinstated in all parishes when we stopped it during the H1N1 ‘epidemic’.I thought I read somewhere that it is optional; that is, the congregation’s sign of peace. The priest is under no obligation to tell everyone else to “extend a sign of peace” to others.
Great PointOh, how I wish more considered it optional! I do so feel the sign of peace is empty, at least for the most part. I cannot begin to number the times I have shaken hands with someone who wasn’t even looking in my direction. If the person is already picking out the next person with whom to shake hands, it isn’t exactly sincere. The person who wrote about looking at the other person is the style I follow. When I do the sign of peace, I make a point of trying to make eye contact. Sure, that is sometimes impossible, but I think it should be real if we are going to do it.
Just so you know I am a total grump, neither I nor any member of my family participates in hand-holding during the Our Father. I agree with Karl Keating when he said that the hand-holding undercuts the sign of peace. I also feel hand-holding during the Our Father makes it less spiritual.
No, I am not really a grump, but I want Mass to be deep, intense, and with soaring spirituality. Breaking attention to shake hands really disrupts my focus.
I’m operating from the other side. As in it’s not worth the time, not that it’s a disappointment.I find the sign of peace to be trite, ineffective, cold and a waste of time. Why do we even need it in the Liturgy?
I know the sign of peace originated as a “holy kiss”.
I’ve been alternating between 3 parishes and in most of them, there is not even a handshake. People turn around and hold up their hands, give a quick nod, or maybe a smile if you’re lucky.
There is no “Good to see you”. In fact, it happens so fast, if someone asked me to identify in a lineup the person I exchanged the sign of peace with 10 minutes before, I’d be at a loss.
If there is no warmth in this sign of peace, why bother?
" A day will come when the civilized world will deny its God, when the Church will doubt as Peter doubted. She will be tempted to believe that man has become God. In our churches, Christians will search in vain for the red lamp where God awaits them. Like Mary Magdalene, weeping before the empty tomb, they will ask, "Where have they taken him ? "I think it is not only a waste of time but very wrong. I’ve seen Priests leave the alter and walk around in the crowd shaking hands with everyone. Remember this is after the consecration and I thought His hand were not to touch anything because He just touched God.
No. It’s in the same place in the Third Typical Edition of the Roman Missal which we will be getting in November. The GIRM was published in 2002 and to make sure we didn’t misunderstand it Rome repeated the instruction on the Sign of Peace in Redemptionis 2 years later.When the new missals come out will they have the sign of peace at a different part of the mass?