The Silent Voices Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whitacre_Girl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bible is not the only reliable source we have of who Jesus is…we also have the Church and our oral traditions (the teachings of the apostles).

And how does that relate to the thread at hand anyways?
It’s my thread, I think I know what is relevant and what isn’t.

And yes, we have oral tradition and those traditions also tell us that scripture is the Holy and infallible word of God.

The fact that it has been changed to serve a feminist agenda truly is an abomination.
 
This translation makes me sick. :o

We know Jesus was male and Jesus refers to God as “My Father”, so I don’t see any way around the fact that they should be refered to as male. The Holy Mother is clearly female and it’s nearly as offensive to call her a man as it is refer to Jesus as a female.

God made men and women each with our unique gifts-- there is no need to make things “more even”.

It’s a total disgrace. :mad:
I wonder which spirit it is who opposes God and tries incessantly to reverse all of God’s holy work?
 
I wonder which spirit it is who opposes God and tries incessantly to reverse all of God’s holy work?
The same complaints were made when the Holy Mass was no longer offered exclusively in Latin. There were large parts of the church that had come to believe that Latin was not just the default language but the only right one. I think that can happen with gender too. We start to think that things we’re familiar with aren’t just common, but holy.
 
The same complaints were made when the Holy Mass was no longer offered exclusively in Latin. There were large parts of the church that had come to believe that Latin was not just the default language but the only right one. I think that can happen with gender too. We start to think that things we’re familiar with aren’t just common, but holy.
Completely and absolutely NO.

We aren’t talking about language, or phrasing. We are talking about undermining the very foundation of God’s creation. He created us male and female, and it is through that gender difference he reveals his perfect love for us. Trying to throw away God’s perfect creation because we don’t like it is a person trying to put themselves above God as if they somehow know better.

God doesn’t make mistakes. God doesn’t do things needlessly. The idea that some person out there thinks they understand the inner workings of Gender better that the Almighty creator has a very serious problem. VERY serious. It is think kind of thinking that is causing a world to fall into chaos by destroying the family. God created us to need one another for the unique qualities and strength each provides. To turn your nose up at that is to deny the very way God made us and leads to discord.

AGain, if we were talking about something that wasn’t innately created in each human and central to how we experience the world, this would be a different story. If Israel was changed to “America” there may still be a frustration, yes, but nothing like what is being done here. It’s, frankly, blasphemous and disordered.
 
The same complaints were made when the Holy Mass was no longer offered exclusively in Latin. There were large parts of the church that had come to believe that Latin was not just the default language but the only right one. I think that can happen with gender too. We start to think that things we’re familiar with aren’t just common, but holy.
Some complaints clearly carry more weight than others. It’s not all relative.
 
The same complaints were made when the Holy Mass was no longer offered exclusively in Latin. There were large parts of the church that had come to believe that Latin was not just the default language but the only right one. I think that can happen with gender too. We start to think that things we’re familiar with aren’t just common, but holy.
Ummm…no.

Granted, I’m knew and wasn’t around when they switched over but the vast majority of Catholics that I know who were glad to see the Latin go.

Besides that, how do you equate Latin in Mass to gender identity in the bible? There is absolutely not connection there.

You have to be kidding me with that one, seriously.

Yeah, gender identity is just in the bible because that’s what we’re used to and it really doesn’t matter. In fact, Jesus was a woman and Mary was a man. :rolleyes:
 
It’s my thread, I think I know what is relevant and what isn’t.

And yes, we have oral tradition and those traditions also tell us that scripture is the Holy and infallible word of God.

The fact that it has been changed to serve a feminist agenda truly is an abomination.
It wasn’t changed.

I think the author was pretty clear in that he swapped genders so people could examine how it affected their perceptions of the various stories.

I didn’t see where he suggested the current Bible be replaced or changed.
 
And “she” implies female but ships don’t have a gender either…
Again, you cannot equate these two things much like the poster above trying to equate dropping Latin to changing Jesus to a woman.

Nice try though.
 
And “she” implies female but ships don’t have a gender either…
God is not male, but Scripture most suitably employs male metaphors for Him, while on occasion employing female similies for Him. There is a basic distinction between the two, with "simile/comparing (mother) and metaphor/naming (father), and the meanings they convey. . .Whereas similies compare, metaphors predicate or NAME [emphasis mine], “Language for God and Feminist Language, a Literary and Rhetorical Analysis,” Roland Mushat Frye, Interpretation, A Journal of Bible and Theology.

See also this for some insights:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a49.htm
 
God is not male, but Scripture most suitably employs male metaphors for Him, while on occasion employing female similies for Him. There is a basic distinction between the two, with "simile/comparing (mother) and metaphor/naming (father), and the meanings they convey. . .Whereas similies compare, metaphors predicate or NAME [emphasis mine], “Language for God and Feminist Language, a Literary and Rhetorical Analysis,” Roland Mushat Frye, Interpretation, A Journal of Bible and Theology.

See also this for some insights:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a49.htm
Thank you.

Better stated than I could come up with.

My point is just that we understand so little about God that wether He is male or female, Jesus (who is God) and male, represents our idea of God’s sex. Now, in reality we have no idea if God is male or female but we are hardwired to think male or female, so for our sake it’s just easier to call God “Him”. However, Jesus is God, so it’s not entirely wrong to say God is male either.

On top of that Jesus refers to God as his Father, so that is the way we’re supposed to think of Him.
 
“Father” implies male in our earthly understanding.
That’s precisely why I’m starting to like that feminist bible so much. Because this thread indicates that we’ve taken an implication and made it explicit. I have no problem with God being represented as male but I think it’s a big mistake to represent God exclusively as male.
 
That’s precisely why I’m starting to like that feminist bible so much. Because this thread indicates that we’ve taken an implication and made it explicit. I have no problem with God being represented as male but I think it’s a big mistake to represent God exclusively as male.
Is it not also a mistake to take human beings of known gender and mix them up solely to suit one’s fashion?
 
As to the name of the novel, I thought that “Silent Voices” were the unborn (including 50% unborn women) who are viciously killed in the womb for the sake of profit and temporary convenience. Nice switcheroo, evil one!
 
Again, you cannot equate these two things much like the poster above trying to equate dropping Latin to changing Jesus to a woman.

Nice try though.
Are you trying to imply that God DOES have a gender?
 
God is not male, but Scripture most suitably employs male metaphors for Him, while on occasion employing female similies for Him. There is a basic distinction between the two, with "simile/comparing (mother) and metaphor/naming (father), and the meanings they convey. . .Whereas similies compare, metaphors predicate or NAME [emphasis mine], “Language for God and Feminist Language, a Literary and Rhetorical Analysis,” Roland Mushat Frye, Interpretation, A Journal of Bible and Theology.

See also this for some insights:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a49.htm
What I highlighted in red above is my point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top