V
Vince1022
Guest
I don’t understand. Can you clarify? Thanks."I’ve never come across anyone who claimed Jesus was 40 or more years old. Any reference for that? "
Modern reference? You’ll know what I’ll say.
There are no inferences in the Gospel of John. There are implications. What one infers is just that…what an individual reader interprets or assumes. What exact assumption are you referring to? Sorry, I didn’t understand.But isn’t the inference in the Gospel of John enough of starting point to make it a reasonable if not valid assumption? John was written by an eyewitness, who might have heard the exchange personally. And John says nothing about Jesus’ birth.
The Gospel of John may or may not have been written by an eyewitness. Most Catholic scholars I am familiar with say it was not. Either way is fine. The Catholic Church does not require Catholics believe the Gospel of John was written by an eyewitness.
Yes, John says nothing about Jesus’ human birth, which seems to suggest John’s Gospel is not a good reference for Jesus’ age? Or did I misunderstand your point?
Regardless of Luke’s sources, the Gospel of Luke is every bit as inspired and true as all the other Gospels.Luke, of course, was written by a late convert who wrote his Gospel based on second and third hand accounts (or later).