V
Vince1022
Guest
No, I’m not.. I merely point out that you are quite mistaken to assign significance based purely on the number of gospels that report it; WHICH you are.
You have convinced me of that.THIS is silly.
No, I’m not.. I merely point out that you are quite mistaken to assign significance based purely on the number of gospels that report it; WHICH you are.
You have convinced me of that.THIS is silly.
Don’t spend a lot of time on it, Carol. I agree with you, and feel your pain.OOPS! I read it wrong. I wish this site would allow us to delete our idiotic foibles.
I recommend that you read ‘Handbook of Biblical Chronology’ by Jack Finegan. That book is a survey of the work of many scholars in the field of Biblical chronology. There is much more information on the question of when Jesus was born in that one book than in the website to which you refer. The website vastly oversimplifies the questions, information and analysis pertaining to Jesus’ Birth. Many scholars have considered this problem. They too use astronomical software. They also use much information that the website ignores. And yet there is no agreement on the year or date of the Birth of Christ.bethlehemstar.net/dance/dance.htm
I saw the documentary version of this today with a youth group that I started helping at - yowsers! In it, he tracks down the prophecies in Isiah, Micah, etc, and using information from the Gospels, to reverse engineer what he contents to be the exact date of the first Christmas (December 25, 2 BC)**!
He uses modern astronomical software to retrace the stars, and concludes that, on this date, and the month prier, the Maji would have been able to track the motions of Jupiter to determine the time that the Prophets predicted that the our Lord would be among us! Its a powerful and convincing story, and I’m confident enough to say that it is probably true!
**Note, the date the Magi visited at least, not necessarily His birth
I’m convinced simply because this has only a nominal impact on my faith. I’d believe in Christ whether or not he is correct in this particular assertion - only on one “man” should someone put his faithI recommend that you read ‘Handbook of Biblical Chronology’ by Jack Finegan. That book is a survey of the work of many scholars in the field of Biblical chronology. There is much more information on the question of when Jesus was born in that one book than in the website to which you refer. The website vastly oversimplifies the questions, information and analysis pertaining to Jesus’ Birth. Many scholars have considered this problem. They too use astronomical software. They also use much information that the website ignores. And yet there is no agreement on the year or date of the Birth of Christ.
You are convinced by that website because the author oversimplies, ignores any information or scholarly opinion that contradicts his work, and gives an entertaining presentation.
Sounds like you have been reading a lot of “modernist” biblical viewpoints…There are four Gospels, and only one refers to this star. So, how important is it, really?
Of the 27 books of Scripture in the New Testament, it’s only the Gospel of Matthew that refers to this, right?
So, theologically, what’s the real concern here? Just curious.
Vince, you are a misguided soul. You NEED to read Hagan. Give me your address and I will loan you my copy.No, I’m not.
You have convinced me of that.
I am not sure what modernist biblical viewpoints are, I’m just going by what the Catholic Church teaches.Sounds like you have been reading a lot of “modernist” biblical viewpoints…
Why do I need to read Hagan? Isn’t what the Church teaches sufficient?Vince, you are a misguided soul. You NEED to read Hagan. Give me your address and I will loan you my copy.
Yes, for those too lazy, disinterested or illiterate to study on their own, the Church’s teachings are sufficient for salvation…or so they say.Isn’t what the Church teaches sufficient?
For one, the existence of external physical evidence that supports the Gospel is a huge affirmation of our faith in their veracity. I challenge you to watch “The Star of Bethlehem” DVD and see for yourself how important the Star becomes.There are four Gospels, and only one refers to this star. So, how important is it, really?
Yes, for those too lazy, disinterested or illiterate to study on their own, the Church’s teachings are sufficient for salvation…or so they tell us. But how do we know for sure unless we verify the teachings for ourselves?Isn’t what the Church teaches sufficient?