The War on Women

• Thread starter Thread starter James_Tyler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the dress code of traditional Mennonite communities, or evangelists of old school, or old Believers ( the Orthodox traditionalists in Eastern Europe and Asia)
it is more understandable for Christians, and I think that the understanding is similar to the understanding of Muslims on the subject.
Similarity between Mennonite, Christian and Moslem dress code is arguable, because it only relies on stereotypes. Besides, among the moslem themselves are wide range of opinion. For example those who believe in burqua would consider sayla/ hijab indecent. Exposing ankle is indecent, thus if the fabric too short a few centimeters is seen as a wrong doing. Exposing lips and neck is sensual. But for me, it is normal for a person to show their face head neck just as the primitive tribe belive that its normal to dress according to their culture.
You gave interesting examples for the arguments.
So, you believe that Scripture advices relates to a specific time and culture?
1 Timothy 2:9-10
9: I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,
10: but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
There are many verses in the bible which can only be understood based on time/ history and culture context.

verse 9:
the primitive tribe consider their traditional woman dress code (which consist of minimum leaves being sewn together around the groin area a MODESTY according to their stadard. Thus if these primitive men&women read Timothy2:9, the women wouldn’t be guilty of anything, and the men wouldn’t condemn the women either: it’s their proper traditional dress code.

verse 10:
good deeds and appropriate dress are actually two different issues. If it is translated as modesty, again to dress appropriately is as explained in my previous post: decent and reasonable according to community standard.
1 Peter 3:1-6
3 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
verse 3: all the more reason we should not pay attention to outward look, because outward look doesn’t represent inner beauty

verse 6: Sarah’s obedience do not equal fear, rather, do what is right. This is inner beauty!

And for the charity to the mother of three children, I came to the conclusion that there are parents who neglect wisdom.
But even as bad as they are, this one can be even morally superior to me, because they brought children into this world.
Even this young father who went away from this young woman (in a reproductive sense) is morally superior to me.
I am not a sinner but I’m not a saint.
I’m just looking for my ideal and very picky.
Of course I’m not old, but still the golden youth is given to man for procreation or at least for the full life.
( As I understand , according to ancient Jewish wisdom, i think the Christian wisdom as well, because we have the same naturalistic theology, the man who lives a full life with a woman and have children is morally superior to a man who lives in some sort of virtual dreams.(sinful thoughts) It is not surprising that among the Jews there were early marriages and it was not common for a young man to walk a bachelor in young/ripe age.)
Therefore, that very young mother made me a sense of compassion and of course there is some motivation in my heart.
But still from my experience I think that for the Christian, especially in countries with economic difficulties, better to help those who are on the right path of life.
I mean, to prevent the righteous people to murmur against the Lord (because of the desperate economic difficulties) the Christian should first help to those who deserve this help.
There are certainly ungodly families who can blame only themselves for their poverty and destitution.
That is probably why the Scripture says that we should do good especially for the faithful.
Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
But thanks be to God for the experience that He gives to our lives.
I do not quite see how I can comment about your life, because I know not you but through several posts in one thread. I suppose I can only say that man’s main responsibility is his own family. If you see this young woman need help, then please do help her in a way that it wont offend your wife and kids.

If we work in an office, usually we will receive “job description”. This “job describtion” is the main responsibility assigned to us. In the same way God assign to each man a family that becomes his “job description”. Supposedly an employee so diligent that he finish his job and then he decide to help other department that is not part of his job description, then his behavior is commendable because he do more than his job description. But on the other side, if a man do not do his job description but diligently help other department that is not in his job description, then his boss may scold him for he neglecting his own responsibility to do others responsibility that is not his while neglecting his own.

Man’s responsibility towards his family is not only about money, but also to respect their feelings and well being.

francisca thank you for a sharp arguments and a realistic wisdom:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back