The what's for dinner thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter petitfleur
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

petitfleur

Guest
With the start of school and sports just around the corner, i often fall into a dinner rut this time of year.I was wondering what’s cooking in your house? I like to have some sort of dinner planned every night for my family. Weather it’s an elaborate feast or something really basic and humble I am interested!

Tonight I am making bangers and mash. Translated it is sausage and mash potatoes. I was shopping the other day and the store had some samples of Boar’sHead hot smoked sausage. It was really good so I bought some. I know its not the traditional sausage used but I had these things in the house so that’s dinner. I also have some zucchini and yellow squash I can sauté, and if I am up to it I will slice up some fruit.🙂
 
Great thread!

We have a blended family. I cook for hubby and his son, and then another meal for myself and for my kids.

Last week they had:

chicken nuggets and fries, taquitos and pasta, raviolis, pizza, tacos with beef

We had:

beans and tacos, lots of brown rice and pinto beans, steamed veg, hummus and carrots with pitas, low-fat whole grain pitas wiht low fat cheese and pizza sauce
 
Great thread!

We have a blended family. I cook for hubby and his son, and then another meal for myself and for my kids.

Last week they had:

chicken nuggets and fries, taquitos and pasta, raviolis, pizza, tacos with beef

We had:

beans and tacos, lots of brown rice and pinto beans, steamed veg, hummus and carrots with pitas, low-fat whole grain pitas wiht low fat cheese and pizza sauce
That wasn’t all in one sitting was it?🙂
 
My very favorite fall dish is black bean sweet potato chili with just a touch of cinnamon added. YUMMY!!!
 
I made some red thai chicken curry with some steamed brown rice.
 
I’ve recently been doing really quick and easy stir fries - many groceries or supermarkets will sell pre-mixed pre-chopped stirfry vegetables. You may need to try a few different mixes before you find one you like.

Cook up some of your favourite Asian noodle - soba for me - fry the veg mix with some chopped onion and garlic, and some meat (easiest for me is chopped up leftover roast chicken or pork), add the noodles, some soy sauce,Thai fish sauce and honey, a bit of chilli if you like a kick, and just a little sesame oil (or better still, toasted sesame oil - but only a little, it has a strong flavour).

Takes about 10 minutes tops, healthy but filling, and you can play around with the flavours - adding different things such as black bean, oyster or hoisin sauce instead of the ol soy and honey and so on.
 
Popcorn. We just got back from seeing Jason Bourne.

Our last dinner was yesterday.

We had spinach salad with salmon on top.
 
With the start of school and sports just around the corner, i often fall into a dinner rut this time of year.I was wondering what’s cooking in your house? I like to have some sort of dinner planned every night for my family. Weather it’s an elaborate feast or something really basic and humble I am interested!

Tonight I am making bangers and mash. Translated it is sausage and mash potatoes. I was shopping the other day and the store had some samples of Boar’sHead hot smoked sausage. It was really good so I bought some. I know its not the traditional sausage used but I had these things in the house so that’s dinner. I also have some zucchini and yellow squash I can sauté, and if I am up to it I will slice up some fruit.🙂
I LOVE bangers and mash! 😃
My husband is always really happy when I make that. Also, Irish shepherds pie, with peas and carrots and onion and beef in a savory brown gravy with a topping of mashed potatoes. Yummy. The Irish know how to eat.

Next week, though, we will be trying something new. Dinners will be a variety of breads or crackers (like pita) with a variety of spreads (like hummus) and crudités (raw veggies and dips). Simple and light.
 
I LOVE bangers and mash! 😃
My husband is always really happy when I make that. Also, Irish shepherds pie, with peas and carrots and onion and beef in a savory brown gravy with a topping of mashed potatoes. Yummy. The Irish know how to eat.

Next week, though, we will be trying something new. Dinners will be a variety of breads or crackers (like pita) with a variety of spreads (like hummus) and crudités (raw veggies and dips). Simple and light.
Irish Shepherd Pie? What’s different about that? Is it the ingredients?🙂
 
Irish Shepherd Pie? What’s different about that? Is it the ingredients?🙂
I listed the most common ingredients for that one. Here is an American version:
Shredded chicken breasts in a cream of chicken soup base. Mashed potatoes on top of that. Cheddar cheese melted over the whole thing.

Both are good, but I prefer the traditional Irish one better. 🙂
 
I listed the most common ingredients for that one. Here is an American version:
Shredded chicken breasts in a cream of chicken soup base. Mashed potatoes on top of that. Cheddar cheese melted over the whole thing.

Both are good, but I prefer the traditional Irish one better. 🙂
That sounds yummy! Usually in the UK, Shepherds Pie is made with minced lamb(as in shepherd and his sheep). When mince beef is used, then we call it Cottage Pie.
I think I will try your chicken recipe tomorrow. Thanks 👍
 
Chicken Satay (sweet/spicy peanut sauce) with onions, carrots, green peppers and mushrooms stir fried in sesame oil, and brown jasmine rice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top