Exactly. 2+2 just does not equal 5, no matter how much I might strain my brain into seeing it.
Of course it does, for large quantities of 2. But we’re not talking accounting here. (sorry)
I would reply with an objection, but it’s the same objection I’ve given over and over, and the answers to the objections are always restatements or rephrasings of what I was originally objecting to, rather than a deeper exploration or explanation of those statements.
Once a thing seems clear to us (people in general), it becomes hard to break it down further…
I thank everyone for replying, and I will continue to monitor any other responses, but I am running out of energy going in circles.
I hear you and know what you mean. I’m impressed you’ve lasted this long.
That’s not a judgment or criticism, just an acknowledgment that the answers I am seeking aren’t here.
God bless.
Sometimes a thing needs to be experienced in order for us to understand it. Did you ever wonder why Jesus put clay on the man’s eyes to heal him at Siloam? Of course it was not “magic” clay, nor did Jesus need it to make the blind see. No, it was the man himself that needed that small crutch for his faith; that physical contact so he could KNOW that which can not be known.
Perhaps relaying my personal experience may be of some small assistance, at least in opening your mind to the possibility that some of the responses you have received may contain in them more wisdom than you are able to perceive, as yet.
Having grown up in the American public school system; I understand COMPLETELY where you’re coming from. It is almost beaten into us that contraception is for the common good of society. It is so continually spoon fed to us through multiple media such as TV, newspaper and radio that contraception SEEMS intuitive and natural. Through the grace of God, my husband (a protestant convert) and I have discovered that not only is contraception against God’s will, but NFP is as far and away from contraception as you can get.
My husband convinced me, logically, that we needed to have our own home before starting a family. It took a few years, but God did bless us with a home, but no children. Feeling burdened with guilt, I went and confessed the use of contraception wherein the priest laughed at me; though absolved me. We conceived within days. After 2 extraordinarily difficult pregnancies, we decided that we needed to give me some time to recover, but had since made the transition to capital “C” Catholics. We used NFP very successfully and I can not begin to describe for you the metaphysical difference between the NFP and true contraception but it is PROFOUND.
It’s the difference between making a flower arrangement from fresh flowers versus plastic ones. One uses the gifts that God has granted us to suit our needs to some degree; the other, cuts out life entirely from the equation.
But wait, there’s more.
After a small space, we felt called to have another child and conceived almost immediately. This pregnancy proved to be far and beyond worse than the first two containing multiple “medical mysteries” I won’t get into here (yes that’s the term the specialists used). In short; it was utter hell and despite having the healthiest baby yet, my husband and I decided that I might just die if I ever conceived again and since NFP had worked so well for us, we were not the least bit worried about continuing on with it indefinitely.
I’m sure you can guess where this is going but I’ll tell you anyway. After far too short an interval, my husband and I both felt the call again to have another child. This we both firmly refused and, in fact became extra careful. Then, the unexpected happened. My cycle did a 180 and after years of being completely regular and predictable, I ovulated exactly when I wasn’t supposed to: at the height of the “safe zone”.
When my husband and I figured out what had happened, we both acknowledged to each other that we felt a sense of relief. God had saved us from our lack of faith because he understood that we did not want to test him with something we felt surely must come to pass. That is, we were quite certain of suffering beyond reason resulting in possible death if I were to conceive again. It was our responsibility to avoid this as much as we could; yet through NFP, we still left the door open for God in our lives. And now I sit at 20 weeks into the easiest, smoothest pregnancy of them all. Yes truly a miracle on MANY levels.
Look at it this way: God is not a trained monkey that does tricks for peanuts; nor is he an ogre of a supreme being that forces us (in general) to conceive despite having absolutely refusing him. Yes people can still get pregnant despite the use of contraception but it is clearly and
“unwanted” pregnancy versus what I would term mine as: a
“complete surprise”.
If you still can’t see the difference there; don’t worry. Be still, be Still. Trust in God. Read the gospel more and most of all pray, pray, pray. God will open your heart in his time. I can’t say for certain if I would have understood without going through it myself; but then I have always know I was a clay-on-the-eyes kind of girl.
Pax.