D
davidv
Guest
If you think “sex is a ritual” is the basis for the Catholic teaching, I don’t think you understood much of the teaching that has been presented.As I was laying in bed on Saturday, I had something of an epiphany about this issue (yes, there is something wrong with my brain).
I think I’ve found an explanation that ties everything up neatly, and allows what you seem to be telling me to make sense, in a way.
So, when I think about sex and procreation I think about a physical process. Little bits of DNA combining, chemical processes, ovulation dates, the psychology and neuroscience of the couples relationship…technically I could take it all the way down to the atomic level, and even speculate about what happens on the quantum level. Everything about it is materialistic. So for me, there is a strong contradiction in what you are collectively telling me, because I know there isn’t any materialistic reason why contraceptives are different than NFP. There isn’t, they are identical.
For Catholics though, this is actually a magic ritual. Every time you have sex, the ideal is that it is a ritualized thing that includes your god in the process, and the assumption is that if conception occurs, it is because God interceded and actually involved Himself in the process. Without God, there can be no proper consummation of marriage, and without God, procreation is impossible. When a form of contraception is involved, you are potentially thwarting the involvement of your deity, thus breaking the ritual.
So I think that is what keeps stumping me. I still think there isn’t any difference, because I’m not religious so the magical parts of the thing are not a part of my world-view.
If I make that assumption though and operate within your world-view, it makes sense, and I can understand the thought process.
So, Alyosha13, maybe that helps clear things up for you? The short answer would be, “From a materialistic viewpoint, there is no difference and it doesn’t make any sense to separate the two methods. From a Catholic standpoint, sex is about ritual and contraceptives break that ritual by denying God the ability to participate.”