They burned Bibles....we didn't riot

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jeffrey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Further, the bible itself is not the word of God. The word is what is written in the bible. If I defile a bible, I am not actually defiling the word of God.

Keep in mind that I have been using a small w for word. If I use a big W, I am refering to The Word, Jesus Christ, the second person of The Trinity.
 
The Bible is a symbol, the Koran is a symbol. Symbols are very important. To desecrate a symbol is a very serious act.
 
40.png
gilliam:
The Bible is a symbol, the Koran is a symbol. Symbols are very important. To desecrate a symbol is a very serious act.
That’s true, but is the symbol more important than a human life? Muslims around the world seem to be either saying yes, or indirectly saying that the physical copy of the Koran is God.

There’s a good entry on Jimmy Akin’s blog about this very topic: jimmyakin.org/
 
40.png
jimmy:
You misunderstand this passage. Sacred scripture most certainly is not part of The Word. It is the word, but not the Word. No where in that passage does it equate the bible to being part of the second person of the Trinity. That is what the Word is. It is a big mistake to consider the scriptures as part of the Word.

That passage is talking about the co-importance of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. They are on an equal footing. It says nothing about the Word other than that Jesus Christ, the Word, entrusted the Sacred Tradition to the Apostles
I didn’t say that the Bible WAS Jesus. I said that it was part of Jesus. What I mean is that the Sacred Scriptures contain words written about Jesus, as authorized and written by God Himself. If God Himself wrote the words of the Bible, then, just as God spoke creation into existence in Genesis, His words are part of who He is, for never does God speak and break His word. His actions are tied directly to His words.
 
40.png
jimmy:
Further, the bible itself is not the word of God. The word is what is written in the bible. If I defile a bible, I am not actually defiling the word of God.

Keep in mind that I have been using a small w for word. If I use a big W, I am refering to The Word, Jesus Christ, the second person of The Trinity.
I understand the Bible itself is not the word of God. However, the words written inside of the Bible are the word of God. If you defile a Bible, you may not be actually defiling the word of God but you are at least making an outward attempt to do so. It would be as if you spit on a priest as he taught us the word because of what he was teaching.
 
40.png
Brad:
I didn’t say that the Bible WAS Jesus. I said that it was part of Jesus. What I mean is that the Sacred Scriptures contain words written about Jesus, as authorized and written by God Himself. If God Himself wrote the words of the Bible, then, just as God spoke creation into existence in Genesis, His words are part of who He is, for never does God speak and break His word. His actions are tied directly to His words.
The books of the bible were not written by God, they were inspired by God. The Scriptures are not a part of Jesus, they merely point to Jesus and tell us about Jesus.

Without the bible, there would be no deficiency in The Word. The Word would still be complete. The bible, as the word, adds nothing to Him, it just explains Him to us. If we had no bible, the Church would still have the same teachings and beliefs because what we teach is based on The Man-God, Christ himself.

This is not to say that Scripture has no authority. It has a great authority, but it does not tell us anything apart from what Christ revealed while he was on earth.

The bible is not The Truth Himself, it proclaims The Truth.

I will agree though that God does not break his word.
 
40.png
Brad:
I understand the Bible itself is not the word of God. However, the words written inside of the Bible are the word of God. If you defile a Bible, you may not be actually defiling the word of God but you are at least making an outward attempt to do so. It would be as if you spit on a priest as he taught us the word because of what he was teaching.
I have no problem with this. I would agree that in an inadvertant way you are defiling The Word by defiling the bible.
 
40.png
StJeanneDArc:
That’s true, but is the symbol more important than a human life? Muslims around the world seem to be either saying yes, or indirectly saying that the physical copy of the Koran is God.

There’s a good entry on Jimmy Akin’s blog about this very topic: jimmyakin.org/
All depends on what the symbol represents.

A lot of people have died defending the cross.
 
40.png
jimmy:
The books of the bible were not written by God, they were inspired by God. The Scriptures are not a part of Jesus, they merely point to Jesus and tell us about Jesus.
God is the primary author of Scripture:

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/INSPIR.htm

“In Catholic theology “inspiration” is a technical term. An inspired book is one which has God as its primary author. Apostolic Scripture falls into this category because even though God wrote it through human agency, he chose the actual words of Apostolic Scripture”
40.png
jimmy:
Without the bible, there would be no deficiency in The Word. The Word would still be complete. The bible, as the word, adds nothing to Him, it just explains Him to us. If we had no bible, the Church would still have the same teachings and beliefs because what we teach is based on The Man-God, Christ himself.
That is mostly correct but the fact remains that we do have the Bible what is inside of it is still His word and His teachings.
40.png
jimmy:
This is not to say that Scripture has no authority. It has a great authority, but it does not tell us anything apart from what Christ revealed while he was on earth.
That is correct. And inside the Bible contains the Gospels which are the main written record of what Jesus said and did. I can illustrate my point better by modifying just one word of your sentence. The Bible does not tell us anything except what Christ revealed while he was on earth.
40.png
jimmy:
The bible is not The Truth Himself, it proclaims The Truth.
Again, His words are a part of Him, not Himself entirely. God is eternal, spritual, and without any bounds. It is not as though the Sacred Scripture + Sacred Tradition + attributes of God = God. It is that His word is a part of Him and Sacred Scripture contains His words. The Sacred pages do not make up 5% of Him or 35% of Him - they are just part of Him. Without the words on the sacred pages, God would still be fully God, but because the words are on the sacred pages, we have a written glimpse of who He is through what He has told us.
 
I am not going to argue with this statement from James Akin because I am not sure exactly what he means. He is rather vague.
40.png
Brad:
That is mostly correct but the fact remains that we do have the Bible what is inside of it is still His word and His teachings.
The bible is his word, but it is not his Word. Not everything that is true is part of The Word. But it may point to The Word. The Bible is true in everything that it says, but that does not make it a part of The Word. It means that it points to The Word. It is kind of like a reflection or a shadow of The Truth. By reading the Bible you see who Christ is through every word on every page, but you are not looking upon Christ Himself by reading those words, and when you hear the gospels, you are not hearing Christ.
40.png
Brad:
That is correct. And inside the Bible contains the Gospels which are the main written record of what Jesus said and did. I can illustrate my point better by modifying just one word of your sentence. The Bible does not tell us anything except what Christ revealed while he was on earth.
I am not sure what difference your modification makes. The Bible is not the actual actions of Christ or the sayings of Christ. They are the record of the sayings and actions. This is a huge difference. The Bible is not showing you Christ himself, but the inspired record of Christ.
40.png
Brad:
Again, His words are a part of Him, not Himself entirely. God is eternal, spritual, and without any bounds. It is not as though the Sacred Scripture + Sacred Tradition + attributes of God = God. It is that His word is a part of Him and Sacred Scripture contains His words. The Sacred pages do not make up 5% of Him or 35% of Him - they are just part of Him. Without the words on the sacred pages, God would still be fully God, but because the words are on the sacred pages, we have a written glimpse of who He is through what He has told us.
Again, Scripture is more like a reflection of Christ than being a part of Him.
 
40.png
gilliam:
All depends on what the symbol represents.

A lot of people have died defending the cross.
You are correct, of course, but I think there’s a distinction between martyrdom and murder. People have chosen to sacrifice their lives to defend their faith. Others (most notably Muslims in modern times) have chosen to murder those that they believe defile their faith. The situation we’re discussing her is the choice to murder because one’s faith has been slandered (or so they perceive).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top