See Veritatis Splendor for extensive magisterial teaching on the moral object.
What I will give is my own explanation, which of course is not ‘official’.
Morality is concerned with the knowingly chosen acts of human persons (called human acts, or simply acts). Certain acts are intrinsically evil. These acts are of a type that is inherently morally disordered; in and of themselves, these acts are immoral by the very nature of the act, independent of intention and circumstances. The knowing choice of this type of act is necessarily a disorder of the will – for morality concerns the knowing choices of the free will. Such acts are always objectively immoral. The knowing choice of this type of act is always a sin.
Intrinsically evil acts are inherently disordered because they are inherently directed toward an end, called the moral object, an end in terms of morality – not in terms of intention (the intended end) or consequences (the end result) – which is evil. A moral object is an end toward which a knowingly chosen act is inherently ordered (directed). An evil moral object is a moral object that is contrary to the love of God, and the love of neighbor as self, which is the basis for all morality.
But what makes an act intrinsically evil is not the attainment of the moral object, but rather the inherent ordering of the act itself toward that evil moral object, regardless of whether or not it is attained.
Ron,
Thank you for the brief and very fine explanation. It is very helpful. If I may summarize just a bit more, here are the main points I see….
A moral object is an end toward which a knowingly chosen act is inherently ordered (directed).
An evil moral object is a moral object that is contrary to the love of God, and the love of neighbor as self, which is the basis for all morality.
Intrinsically evil acts are of a type that is inherently morally disordered; in and of themselves, these acts are immoral by the very nature of the act, independent of intention and circumstances.
I decided to go back to the Catechism and found these “definitions” of lying….
2482 “A lie consists in speaking a falsehood with the intention of deceiving.”…
2483 … To lie is to speak or act against the truth in order (intend) to lead someone into error.
I note that in both of these descriptions the term “intent” is used. Intent is given as a primary factor in what constitutes a lie. In other words, the “inherent moral object”, of a lie is the intent to deceive or cause error, which, of course, is evil.
In other words, in order for something to properly be called a “lie” (for the purpose of being a sin) the object must be to deceive, cause error.
I’m beginning to think that perhaps the problem I, and many others, have stems from the generally understood definition(s) of the term lie.
In general terms, a “lie” is speaking anything that is known to be not factually true, yet there are many cases in which one can say something that is not factually true, without the intent to “deceive or cause error” in any negative sense.
Some cases of this might be giving children “age appropriate” responses about lightening, or Santa Claus, or misdirecting someone in order to prevent their finding out about the surprise party planned for them. Are these things lies in the sinful sense of being “offenses against the Truth”?
The CCC 2464 states that, “…Offenses against the truth express by word or deed a refusal to commit oneself to moral uprightness”.
I’m beginning to think that English simply does not have a word we can use to distinguish between what would be a “sinful untruth” and one that would not be sinful based on the moral object. The closest thing is the famous “white lie” which I don’t think is something that has any real “approved” dictionary definition.
Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this and apologize if I seem thickheaded, stubborn or dense.
However, since the CCC tells us, in it’s discussion of moral conscience, that we have the freedom to act on our conscience and the obligation to properly form same, I feel the need to probe certain things both for my own benefit and the benefit of any others that I encounter.
Peace
James