Thoughts for an exasperated Catholic?! Swine flu/Bishops right? [edited]

  • Thread starter Thread starter levavi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

levavi

Guest
I became a Catholic ten years ago, but am rapidly reaching the ‘end of my tether’ with regard to the way ‘things are done’ on a regular basis at Mass. This Sunday there was a very exasperating experience at Mass, which precipitated my writing the letter to the priest concerned below. But I found it very stressful and I have been depressed ever since. I might point out I normally go to EF Mass, but don’t rule out the OF. But it depresses me when I venture out of my ‘bubble’ (i.e. churches I know and trust) because things are so chaotic! Please, any thoughts to calm me down?

"I thought I would write to you regarding the experience of Holy Communion on Sunday. It seemed to me that there was not a small amount of discomfort when you referred to the recent guidelines of the Bishop concerning H1N1 (‘Swine Flu’). I got the impression from the notice in the bulletin, and from what you said (though I cannot really remember your exact words) that the Bishop had tried to ‘forbid’ reception on the tongue. Knowing that this is impossible, nonetheless I did not want to put you in a difficult position, so I did not communicate in my ordinary way. I did notice, however, that some refused to comply, even though they too might have got the impression that the Bishop had tried to forbid reception on the tongue.

"When we got home, I looked at the Diocese website, and I see that in fact the Bishop has only said it is now ‘sensible’ that communion be given in the hand, under one kind only. A certain amount of relief was felt, therefore, and it occurred to me that you might be able to see that things are expressed ‘as they are’, by reproducing the guidelines in full, and by explaining the situation fully, in the context of the Universal Law. First, no Bishop has the authority to override the norms of Redemptionis Sacramentum, § 92: ‘[E]ach of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue, at his choice’. Furthermore, the laity has a right, outlined in Memoriale Domini of Paul VI, and reaffirmed by the Congregation for Divine Worship in 1977, to receive Communion on the tongue: ‘The priest or minister of Communion does not make the decision as to the manner of reception of Communion. It is the communicant’s personal choice.’

"(The Bishop’s guidelines also include the request that the ‘Sign of Peace’ should be given at this time ‘by a smile, a slight bow or some other appropriate gesture, but not by the shaking of hands’.) [The ‘Sign of Peace’ was given as usual.]

“In view of the Sacred Host having been dropped on the floor at least once during Holy Communion, could I also say again (as I did after Mass) that plates are absolutely necessary in order to prevent sacrilege: cf. Redemptionis Sacramentum § 93 (‘The Communion-plate for the Communion of the faithful should be retained, so as to avoid the danger of the sacred host or some fragment of it falling’). You are fortunate to have many altar servers, and it seems to me that they could be profitably used at Communion-time!”
 
While I do not see how any microbes could be spread by Communion on the tongue or physical contact at the Pax, if the Bishop has made a prudential request to refrain from these practices out of concern for the physical health of his flock, obedience requires we follow his directions.

Hosts do get dropped if Communion is given on the tongue. I’ve seen it happen.

But if given properly, there is no contact between the fingers and the tongue, just like there is no contact between the tongue and communion spoon.
 
Sorry, Basil, not sure I can go along with that. If a Bishop oversteps his authority there is no obligation to ‘obey’; likewise, if a Bishop requests something, there is no obligation to ‘obey’.
 
The real question is if the Bishop is indeed “overtepping” his authority during a serious health crisis.

Are you trying to show how pious you are by singularizing yourself and raising a stink and showing you are not bound to obey a Bishop’s directives?

We have a saying in the monastic life: Beware of the brother whose piety you are always tripping over.
 
I don’t see the need to get personal.

I had thought that members here would be sympathetic to the scandal the situation causes.

I look forward to hearing from others.
 
Sorry, Basil, not sure I can go along with that. If a Bishop oversteps his authority there is no obligation to ‘obey’; likewise, if a Bishop requests something, there is no obligation to ‘obey’.
The bishop is your shephard; yes, his requests should be followed. Also, the swine flu has been worse in your part of the world, so I can understand the bishop’s and priest’s concerns.

If I am following your story correctly, this Mass wasn’t at the parish you normally attend. As such, I will say that it is very unlikely for the priest to give your comments much weight. I certainely hoped though that you signed the letter so that he can get in touch with you to discuss this further if he wants.
 
The Church is not my regular parish, and the Bishop is indeed not my Bishop. But it is the parish of my wife’s family, and I got married there. As such, I know the priest in question. Since it is the Eucharist I feel bound to make comment.
 
If the Bishop asks you do something, and that something is NOT immoral, why not be obedient?
 
If the Bishop asks you do something, and that something is NOT immoral, why not be obedient?
I agree that obedience and respect to a Bishop are far more important than this particular “right”.

Obedience is only exempted in matters of faith (doctrine - not personal piety) or morals.

Lux
 
these regulations are in force in this diocese which is the country’s hotbed of this disease, and I for one am grateful for them and wish they were universally observed. Perhaps from the point of view of one who has regular contact with parishioners on a daily basis I see things differently.

Nowhere in our bishop’s guidelines (they do not have the force of law) nor in what OP cited (she did not give the actual text so it is hard to judge) does it appear the bishop is forcing anyone to do anything against conscience nor restricting the manner in which the faithful receive. Unless a priest in a particular parish actually forbids a parishioner to receive on the tongue and does so in a humiliating manner, I don’t see that any parishioner has reason to feel aggrieved.
 
Frankly I don’t see much difference disease-wise between the two modes of reception. In my 50+ years experience, communion on the tongue doesn’t involve contact with bodily fluids.

The bishop’s guidelines seem to me to be a bit contradictory in this case. On the one hand (no pun intended), CITH is “advised” but on the other, it is recommended to give the “peace” with a “smile” (in other words, “don’t touch”). OK for the “peace” but when one comes right down to it, CITH is hand-to-hand contact. Not to be uncharitable, but with CITH what guarantee does anyone have that the priest (or whatever minister in involved) is not the carrier?

If a bishop wanted to put out a “guideline” for such circumstances, perhaps it should be that ministers of communion wear non-treated hospital gloves. Yes, they’d have to be washed in the sacrarium after use and before disposal, but that’s a small price to pay.

Just my :twocents:
 
I don’t have a reference handy, but I don’t think gloves are allowed.

Anybody know?

Lux
 
I don’t see the need to get personal.

I had thought that members here would be sympathetic to the scandal the situation causes.

I look forward to hearing from others.
You are the one causing a scandal by saying you don’t have to obey your bishop.
 
I became a Catholic ten years ago, but am rapidly reaching the ‘end of my tether’ with regard to the way ‘things are done’ on a regular basis at Mass. This Sunday there was a very exasperating experience at Mass, which precipitated my writing the letter to the priest concerned below. But I found it very stressful and I have been depressed ever since. I might point out I normally go to EF Mass, but don’t rule out the OF. But it depresses me when I venture out of my ‘bubble’ (i.e. churches I know and trust) because things are so chaotic! Please, any thoughts to calm me down?

"I thought I would write to you regarding the experience of Holy Communion on Sunday. It seemed to me that there was not a small amount of discomfort when you referred to the recent guidelines of the Bishop concerning H1N1 (‘Swine Flu’). I got the impression from the notice in the bulletin, and from what you said (though I cannot really remember your exact words) that the Bishop had tried to ‘forbid’ reception on the tongue. Knowing that this is impossible, nonetheless I did not want to put you in a difficult position, so I did not communicate in my ordinary way. I did notice, however, that some refused to comply, even though they too might have got the impression that the Bishop had tried to forbid reception on the tongue.

"When we got home, I looked at the Diocese website, and I see that in fact the Bishop has only said it is now ‘sensible’ that communion be given in the hand, under one kind only. A certain amount of relief was felt, therefore, and it occurred to me that you might be able to see that things are expressed ‘as they are’, by reproducing the guidelines in full, and by explaining the situation fully, in the context of the Universal Law. First, no Bishop has the authority to override the norms of Redemptionis Sacramentum, § 92: ‘[E]ach of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue, at his choice’. Furthermore, the laity has a right, outlined in Memoriale Domini of Paul VI, and reaffirmed by the Congregation for Divine Worship in 1977, to receive Communion on the tongue: ‘The priest or minister of Communion does not make the decision as to the manner of reception of Communion. It is the communicant’s personal choice.’

"(The Bishop’s guidelines also include the request that the ‘Sign of Peace’ should be given at this time ‘by a smile, a slight bow or some other appropriate gesture, but not by the shaking of hands’.) [The ‘Sign of Peace’ was given as usual.]

“In view of the Sacred Host having been dropped on the floor at least once during Holy Communion, could I also say again (as I did after Mass) that plates are absolutely necessary in order to prevent sacrilege: cf. Redemptionis Sacramentum § 93 (‘The Communion-plate for the Communion of the faithful should be retained, so as to avoid the danger of the sacred host or some fragment of it falling’). You are fortunate to have many altar servers, and it seems to me that they could be profitably used at Communion-time!”
The Bishop does not have a right to forbid communion on the tongue- for any reason, as it is the normative way of receiving communion. People are making a much bigger deal out of this whole swine flu thing than they need to make.

I won’t receive communion in the hand- EVER. If such a mandate were made around here, I simply wouldn’t receive communion at any of the churches around here- I’d go somewhere else. I’m sure I could manage that often enough at least to receive once a year. I’m not sure what I’d do if I were a brother having taken a vow of obedience to my superior though. I think St. Thomas More’s words are worth pondering here: “I am the king’s good servant- but God’s first”.
 
Everything that has been said about the rules regarding the reception of communion is true. The ordinary form of receiving communion is on the tongue and it is the right of the faithful to receive it on the tongue if they desire.

That being said, there is also the issue of justice. The rule of communion on the tongue is neither a moral one nor a doctrinal one. It is a discipline. In the case of a health crisis, such as is the swine flue pandemic, the bishop has a moral obligation to justice. Justice overrrules disciplines. If the deacon, priest or other person distributing communion is at risk, it is the duty of the bishop to protect his ministers. Therefore, the bishop may invoke his episcopal authority in this matter and go as far as prohibitting communion on the tongue.

This right is not only for a bishop, but for any Ordinary. A Major Superior of religious men is also an ordinary, even if he is not a priest. He has has the same authority as a bishop, though he does not have the sacramental powers.

In some religious communities that major superiors had directed that their religious men receive communion only in the hand and that the priest or deacon distributing communion not make contact with the hands, but gently drop the host into the hand.

My community has not passed this rule, but it has passed one that is similar. The ordained brothers may choose to give communion only in the hand and they must inform the communicants how it will be done. Also, there is no communion from the chalice except for one brother who is allergic to bread and only receives communion from the chalice.

This is not a violation of Church discipline nor a scandal. It is a health precaution in the name of justice. The same precaution is taken with patients who have AIDS. When the minister of communion goes to the hospital to visit them, opens the pix and allows them to pick up the host to avoid contaminating the patient. In this case, it is for the protection of the patient, not the minister.

In either case, when you are trying to protect someone, the rules can be temporarily suspended by an Ordinary. It would be contrary to the discipline of the Church if the rules were suspended for no just reason and with the intent of not returning to the norm. But this does not meet that criteria.

It would be unhealthy to the soul for a person to deprive himself of holy communion, because they do not want to receive in the hand. Our greatest desire should be to be in communion with Christ and the Church through the Eucharist.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
The reason bishops and priests are asking people not to receive Holy Communion on the tongue is because the fingers of the minister does sometimes make contact with the communicant’s mouth, tongue or saliva. There are people who simply don’t open their mouths wide enough, or stick out their tongue, or just don’t receive in a way that’s easy for the minister.

It’s easier for the minister to avoid contact with Communion on the hand, thus minimizing the risk of passing on germs or viruses to other communicants.

If someone is hung up about receiving on the hand, I encourage him or her to remember that the focus is on the celebration, and of receiving Jesus, not on the “how.”
 
I would also like to encourage those who want to receive on the tongue to relax. This is a temporary situation. It will pass. This pandemic cannot last forever.

The bishops can make emergency decisions such as this. It’s not against Church law. The rubrics are not moral codes and have no moral weight. They are meant to protect the rights of the faithful. So, when they say that the faithful have the right to receive communion on the tongue, they are making a statement of justice.

But in justice, we must also be concerned about everyone’s health, our own and that of the person distributing communion. When this passes, things will go back to normal.

As others have said, the most important thing is to receive the body and blood of our Lord. If we have to receive it in the hand for a while, so be it. I too receive on the tongue, but started to receive on the hand this weekend. We’ve had three deaths in three months in our parish, all swine flu. That’s too large a number in one parish to ignore the safety measures.

If you live in an area that is at high risk, think about the charity and justice that receiving in the hand is for your minister and your fellow parishioners, as well as your family. You don’t want to take home something that your family can catch.

Breathe deeply and offer up the sacrifice as a sign of love for your neighbors, clergy and relatives who could become infected. And remember, this too shall pass.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
I still say this whole swine flu thing is being blown way out of proportion. The media is obcessing over it (even though the regular flu statistically kills more people).I can make a spiritual communion and receive at least some of the benefits of Holy Communion should someone decide to implement such a policy where I live.It would be better to do that than for my unconsecrated hands to touch the Host.
 
I still say this whole swine flu thing is being blown way out of proportion. The media is obcessing over it (even though the regular flu statistically kills more people).I can make a spiritual communion and receive at least some of the benefits of Holy Communion should someone decide to implement such a policy where I live.It would be better to do that than for my unconsecrated hands to touch the Host.
No you would not be better to make a spiritual communion than receive the host in your hand. Who told you that? That is not even Catholic teaching. Denying yourself holy communion for that reason alone is a grave matter, because it borders on superstition. It is one thing to be reverent and it is another to be away from the Eucharist when one does not have to be.

Have you forgotten that a deacon’s hands are no consecrated? Neither are the hand of an extraordinary minister of holy communion. If you received communion from a deacon, you’re receiving them from someone whose hands were not consecrated, yet he is the ordinary minister of holy communion, because he is in Holy Orders.

It’s not the consecration of the hands that’s at issue in touching the host. It’s the reverence due to the host. From the sound of it, you must be a very reverent person. So don’t think that way about yourself. You can be reverent and receive communion in your own hand, if the need arises. God has not made your hands any less reverent than those of a deacon or an EMHC.

God does want you to receive him in the most Holy Eucharist. When there is no valid reason for a Catholic not to receive communion, he/she should do so at least once a year. But the once a year rule is a minimum, not the ideal.

Be careful not to go to the extremes. Extremes do not lead to sanctity, said St. Teresa of Avila. Extremes lead to superstition and to obsessive and neadless worries or worse to indifference.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
I still say this whole swine flu thing is being blown way out of proportion. The media is obcessing over it (even though the regular flu statistically kills more people).I can make a spiritual communion and receive at least some of the benefits of Holy Communion should someone decide to implement such a policy where I live.It would be better to do that than for my unconsecrated hands to touch the Host.
I would disagree with your repeated statements regarding swine flu. My brother caught it and was quarantined and very ill for a week. Prior to his diagnosis, he spent a day with my son, who then traveled to Minnesota and my son fell ill there with it too. According to the medical staff at the base my brother is posted on, by the end of this month 1 in 4 in our county will have it. This does not come from the media, it came from a medical community bracing for an onslaught.

Our Bishop requested a temporary stoppage of shaking hands during the passing of the peace and also of receiving on the tongue. This has now been lifted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top