Thoughts on dating someone of a different religion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lord_Servant
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s the best way I’ve learned to put it. A mixed faith marriage is ALWAYS going to add an additional obstacle and stumbling block to the relationship. Marriage and raising kids is hard enough under ideal circumstances. If you’re at the point of just looking around, look at catholics. If you’re already falling in love with a non-catholic when you read this, don’t take this as a “it can never work” statement, but realize that it’s going to be MORE work than if he/she were catholic.

I realized all this in college when I was dating a protestant girl. Had to admit it had no future and never dated another. No regrets!
 
Here’s the best way I’ve learned to put it. A mixed faith marriage is ALWAYS going to add an additional obstacle and stumbling block to the relationship. Marriage and raising kids is hard enough under ideal circumstances. If you’re at the point of just looking around, look at catholics. If you’re already falling in love with a non-catholic when you read this, don’t take this as a “it can never work” statement, but realize that it’s going to be MORE work than if he/she were catholic.
Sometimes people exchange one obsticle for another. That’s why I say not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Being of mixed faith was not the only significant stumbling block that we knew about before marrying. There was also the possibity of very very long periods of abstinence if Church teaching was to be followed because of a condition I have. Having a husband that is understanding of my situation and feels loved in spite of little sex is a great gift and virtually removed a very significant obsticle that would have required more work for many couples.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top