Three moral dilemmas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Economist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are questions Google and other high tech companies ask in employment interviews. There is no right or wrong answer. Understand what the word ‘hypothetical’ truly means, “what if”. I’m the type of person who answers ‘hypothetical’ questions with, “I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it”.
 
Last edited:
Can you explain why is it preferred to sit back and allow that trolley to mow down five innocent people rather than flip the switch and explicitly cause the death of one innocent person ?
Yes. I explained that above already. If you flip the switch and kill one person, you will be responsible for the death of that one person and may hang for murder or spend your life in solitary confinement. The family of that one person will not appreciate what you have done and may hire lawyers to hound you for the rest of your life.
OTOH, if you standby and try to come up with a way to save everyone, and you do not touch any switches, you have done the best you could to save lives and will not be held legally responsible in any court of law. In such a case your defense is that you were looking for a way to save everyone. So, the jury will not send you to the gas chamber as they might if you choose to kill one person who is much loved by his family.
 
It seems that some (not all) Catholics would abide by church teaching and in some cases allow very many people to die rather than take a life. But what would the consequences be of ‘breaking the rules’? Is your soul in danger? I would imagine so. But confession is good for the soul. Surely absolution would follow.
If a rule is broken with the intention of confessing it after and getting absolution, that confession would be invalid. A confession is only valid and only results in absolution if the penitent sincerely has a change of heart and truly regrets the act and resolves to avoid it in the future. If someone committed sin with the intention of confessing it, there is serious doubt as to how sincere that confession would be.
 
40.png
Wozza:
It seems that some (not all) Catholics would abide by church teaching and in some cases allow very many people to die rather than take a life.
Not every mortal sin is equal, some are “more equal” than others. And to choose the “lesser of two evil” seems like a very reasonable principle. 😉
It is a reasonable principle, provided the criteria for evaluating the “lesser of two evils” is proper. I suspect that is where the disagreement will come in the practice of this principle.
OTOH, if you standby and try to come up with a way to save everyone…
Thank you for pointing out a problem some of these thought experiments. They assume things in the premise that cannot be verified in real life. In the case of the trolley problem, the premise is that there is no way to save anyone except by throwing the switch. Well, how would the observer know that? Maybe there is a way. Maybe there is no need. Maybe, unbeknownst to the observer at the switch, there is an automatic braking system built into the track and the trolley is going to come to a full stop well short of the 5 people. Maybe the observer was mistaken about which track the trolley is currently on, and in fact the trolley was going to miss the 5 people anyway. Maybe the trolley is light enough that 5 people, if they all push together, can stop it with their hands. Maybe there is time to run out onto the tracks and untie the 5 people. Maybe the 5 people can lie down between the tracks and the trolley will pass over them. Maybe they will only suffer some broken bones. The observer cannot possibly be made certain that all the conditions of this theoretical scenario are satisfied, especially if time is short.
 
Last edited:
OK. I guess I will have to simplify it. You have two courses of action. Both of them will lead to taking innocent lives, though not in equal numbers. Action “A” will cause the death of one innocent person. Action “B” will cause the death of two innocent persons. Which one will you choose? There are no other options. Does the principle of “choose the LESSER of two evils” mean anything?
Doing nothing - in a case where you cannot morally choose either option - is not choosing evil. Evil will happen regardless. The death of the many is the fault of the one who chooses to kill them rather than the one who fails to kill the killer.
 
Yes. I explained that above already.
We are not talking about the court of law, especially, since no one is qualified to speak for every court of law. The question is moral, not legal. And the two approaches are extremely similar to the question of “is the glass half empty or half full”? What do you emphasize - killing five people through inaction, or killing one person through action. That is the bare bones scenario. In both cases some “innocent” people will die.
It is a reasonable principle, provided the criteria for evaluating the “lesser of two evils” is proper. I suspect that is where the disagreement will come in the practice of this principle.
Indeed this is the question.
In the case of the trolley problem, the premise is that there is no way to save anyone except by throwing the switch. Well, how would the observer know that? Maybe there is a way.
What you cannot know cannot be used as the basis of the decision making. Since we NEVER have full information on anything, we MUST make our decisions based upon what we know. No sane person would argue that it is fine to eat this poison, after all “maybe we can survive it”. Maybe it is not poison at all, it is just a candy which looks like a poison. No sane person will refuse to run from a foaming mouth lion, stating that MAYBE it is really just a kitten.
Doing nothing - in a case where you cannot morally choose either option - is not choosing evil. Evil will happen regardless.
Of course it is. It is allowing evil to happen. The question is “are all evils equal”? Or are some “evils more equal than others”? Is killing one person the same as committing a genocide? This is the question that all of you attempt to avoid.
 
40.png
Wozza:
That’s Option B. Doing nothing causes the death of one hundred people. Would you like to select Option A?
No.
Then the only other option is B. You did nothing and 100 people died. That’s the bad news. But the good news is…you feel you did the right thing.
 
I wish I could give this answer a 100 💓 likes…
40.png
Wozza:
But the good news is…you feel you did the right thing.
Let us hope that we shall never read again the consequenitialists claim that Catholic moral theology is not rational. The consequentialists admittedly govern themselves with their passions.
 
I have never like hypothetical-type questions. You can what if all day long.
 
We are not talking about the court of law
But I am talking about it because this is the real world I live in. We are offending the family of the loved one by killing him directly and in the real life situation we are liable and can face lawyers and the gas chamber for that

. I choose to stand aside and not to kill one person.
You did nothing and 100 people died. That’s the bad news. But the good news is…you feel you did the right thing.
Not exactly. The good news is that I will not be financially liable and a jury will not send me to the gas chamber or electric chair for trying my best to find a solution. I am not guilty of murder as I would be if I chose to directly kill one person.
 
But I am talking about it because this is the real world I live in.
Not really. Hypothetical problems do not appear in real life, only in the classrooms. If you don’t interfere then you are responsible for the other 5 lives of equally innocent people.
I am not guilty of murder as I would be if I chose to directly kill one person.
Indirectly killing the five people (by letting them die when you could have saved them) is exactly as immoral as the direct killing one. Well, not exactly. Killing 5 is worse - all things being equal.
Let us hope that we shall never read again the consequenitialists claim that Catholic moral theology is not rational. The consequentialists admittedly govern themselves with their passions.
First, there is nothing wrong with passions. I would bet the farm that you would choose to save your own children before saving others. So get off your high horse and start behaving honestly and rationally. There is nothing rational about declaring that letting someone to die, when you could save her is somehow morally superior to killing someone directly. Under certain circumstances it could be MUCH worse. (Mercy killing is an example.)
 
First, there is nothing wrong with passions. I would bet the farm that you would choose to save your own children before saving others.
If you think one can murder to save their own then please mail me to title to your farm.
 
Indirectly killing the five people (by letting them die when you could have saved them) is exactly as immoral as the direct killing one.
That is your erroneous opinion which you have not proven to be true. I say you are wrong because a jury would not convict me of murder if I step aside, but the family could hire attorneys and have me convicted of murder if I directly kill their loved one.
 
Thank you for pointing out a problem some of these thought experiments. They assume things in the premise that cannot be verified in real life.
I try to look at these things from a real life, real world perspective.
 
Last edited:
Part one of my reply
But I need an explanation - a RATIONAL explanation - to accept it. To say that the catechism “says so” is insufficient. Especially since the catechism is deficient, it does not take all the possibilities into account.
I disagree with your assertion that the catechism is deficient. It gives accurate information on moral principles.
It doesn’t take all possibilities into account? How can any book, however complete, list all the possible scenarios you could come up with? What it does is explain the principles to follow in making moral decisions.
For example: “is there a difference between action and non-action”? There is some, but not significant. If you allow the trolley go on its way, you still act, for example you breathe and blink your eyes. Those are actions, though they don’t help. The defense of “ I only allowed the event to happen, but I did not make it happen ” is an unacceptable cop-out. And that is the only “defense” in the trolley problem.
I still breathe and blink. And your point is? The significant bit is that I choose not to take the action of throwing the switch.
And I did not allow the event to happen. I refused to do an evil thing in the attempt to prevent the event. You seem to be arguing that if I refuse to throw the switch that means I desired or intended the deaths of those who died.
What I intended was to refuse to murder one man even if it might save several others.
If someone needs a medication (or food…) and you do not provide it (though you could), does it count as a malevolent action? Does it count as killing?
Not throwing the switch is not like denying a sick person their medicine. Not throwing the switch is like refusing to commit murder–because throwing the switch is murder.
Not giving food or medication is an action. Not flipping the switch is an action.
Choosing to not do these things is a choice. You may insist on calling those choices actions but that doesn’t change any of the facts, nor does it disprove any of the arguments you disagree with.
And then we have the question: “which one is more sinful?” Or are all sins (all mortal sins) equally sinful? Is killing one person the same as killing a million ?
Some sins are worse than others. Murdering ten people is worse than murdering one person.
Refusing to murder is not the same as murdering. Not even if someone else decides to murder people because you refuse to.
 
Last edited:
Part two
The details are only relevant when you examine the actual case. The principle of “if you must choose an evil, choose the lesser evil” is always the same. How to determine which is the “lesser of two evils” requires the details. The principle does not.
It is also a principle that we must not commit an evil action in order to get a good result. I refuse to throw the switch because throwing the switch is murder. That does not mean I choose the death of the one victim. It means I refuse to do the evil deed of murder.
The fact that someone will die no matter what I do does not make me guilty for their deaths, because I can’t prevent that from happening. But I can’t prevent the larger number of deaths unless I murder the one man–and I must not murder.
If you are personally threatened with being shot, you can say “ok, shoot me”, but when it comes to your family, it is not that simple.
And if I am threatened with being held guilty over the deaths of several people that somebody else means to kill unless I murder the one man, I can say “no, I won’t do it”. That actually is simple. Not easy: I’d expect to have nightmares for years, and would likely be reviled by the families of those who died. But the choice is still simple. Murder or do not murder.
You change your mind.
Disingenuous. If I plan beforehand to excuse myself by “changing my mind” then I’m not really changing my mind. I’m just following through on my original plan.
You can’t game the system with God.
 
If you think one can murder to save their own then please mail me to title to your farm.
Killing in self-defense or defense of others is NOT murder. Elementary, my dear Watson. 🙂

Read my post again, in detail. My point was that if you can EITHER only save your children but not others (or the other way 'round), no one will blame you if you choose to save your children, and let the others to die. Yes, passion is part of the game.
 
That is your erroneous opinion which you have not proven to be true. I say you are wrong because a jury would not convict me of murder if I step aside, but the family could hire attorneys and have me convicted of murder if I directly kill their loved one.
If you would deny the life saving medication, you would be found responsible. But again, the legality is not important. I will not reply to the next “installment”.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top